Moderator: ttownshaw

vupilot

Re: Sawford's Zip Build

Post by vupilot » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:40 am

VERY Nice. You have many talents!

sawford11

Post by sawford11 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks Chris, I just like trying new things.
I finished the cutwater and installed it today. It turned out better than I thought it would, even though it is far from perfect! I never welded before, or really worked with metal for that matter. I now have some "lessons learned" in welding, and if I ever decide to make another cutwater, it will turn out better than this one....I went back and forth about attempting to make my own, or sending a template to someone else to make. I figured I could probably make one, but I wasn't confident what the end product would look like. So I'm proud of the way it turned out, even though it doesn't look like it was bought off the shelf. It probably took about 8 hours to make, which included creating a cardboard template, cutting out the two stainless steel halves, making a few tacks, welding along the inside and outside of the seam, grinding the weld, sanding it from 120 grit through 1000 grit, then two different polishes.

The boat is also named, the "Saranna L". Low quality camera phone pictures below.

I applied for a hull ID number from the state, which I received. I am also trying to register it through the state. My first attempt was sent back to me. Turns out, I needed to send in all of the sales receipts from all of the material to show that I paid taxes on the materials. Unfortunately, I did not keep my receipts. I went through 15 months of credit card statements to identify all of the items. I hope that works. I'm guessing I will hear something this week form the state.
Attachments
IMG_20130126_201408.jpg
IMG_20130126_201359.jpg
IMG_20130126_201130.jpg

Buckeyesmith

Post by Buckeyesmith » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Wow! I'm blown away, that sure doesn't look like a first time. Looks every bit as good as the one Cutwater Mike made for my boat. Really nice job.
My Webalbum: http://picasaweb.google.com/Buckeyesmith1/Gem#

The best part about a manual screwdriver is not needing to remember if you left it in reverse.

Completion is but one step in the process and not one bit more important than the others.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Yes indeed.

For the receipts my state only wanted the ones for "major components" so I only turned in a couple big lumber bills, epoxy bill, fiberglass, and some misc stuff. I wouldnt worry about having every single one.

Looks like you are ready for spring!

sawford11

Post by sawford11 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks for the cutwater compliments guys. I've been away from the build for the last month or so. About the only thing I did was sand, buff and polish the cast aluminum windshield brackets. They came out ok. Not like chrome, but ok in my book. I also installed some of the deck hardware.

Oh yah, I also got the registration from the state, and received the registration numbers. I think technically, I could put the boat in the water. Before I do that, I am going to install the transom saver and I need to get some dock lines, anchor, fenders and I'm sure some other miscellaneous hardware.

Should be just about ready to launch!

We had a nice day here in Pittsburgh so I pulled the boat into the driveway to blow off some dust. Supposed to be in the mid- 60's tomorrow. Won't be long now!
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Paul Kinneberg

Post by Paul Kinneberg » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Looks awesome!!

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:28 am

Very nice job.... She looks great !!!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:01 am

What a beauty! I can just imagine the excitement that must be building up in you as the weather warms up and knowing that you will soon get to take her out on the water.

Good luck with the launching and I hope we can see some videos soon.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:20 am

LOOK'S GREAT!!!! You have to be proud!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Retroman
Location: Great South Bay, Long Island, NY. Building a Zip/Flying Saucer

Post by Retroman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:52 pm

VERY IMPRESSIVE.
RetroMan
Built A Zip/Flying Saucer. I do my boating on South Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY
Documenting my build on YouTube @ http://www.youtube.com/SuperUnknownMC

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:15 pm

I take my hat off to you... I can only hope my Gentry comes out as nice as that!
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:39 am

Looks great. Nice job. Interesting way of running the control /fuel line out the top. Would like to see a close up picture of that set up.
I hope you share some launch pictures.
Fellow Zip builder
Jeff

sawford11

Post by sawford11 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Wow, thanks everyone!

Here is a few more photos...the closeup of where I brought my controls and fuel line out (just laying there loose - didn't organize them yet), the cutwater, and the interior. You will see lot's of dust in the floor of the interior. Need to clean up yet!

I installed the transom saver last weekend, which is why I have the motor tilted up....
Attachments
DSCN1260.JPG
DSCN1261.JPG
DSCN1256.JPG

sawford11

Post by sawford11 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:37 pm

The boats been done for a couple of months now, but it took me until today to get it in the water. Combination of crazy schedule and weather not cooperating. Finished registration and titles for boat and trailer and picked up insurance as well.

Here is a link to a video posting....the video is a bit shaky but we were 'zipping' around pretty quickly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW9gPc8G ... e=youtu.be

Return to “Small outboards”