Badlands Squirt Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

J Clark

Badlands Squirt Build

Post by J Clark » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:26 am

I've been chugging away at the prep for this build for about 2 weeks now. The framework jig is finished and braced with several diagonals since this harsh dry weather tends to warp everything but the most seasoned boards.
I transferred the full size plans onto some scrap underlayment to produce a gluing jig. I continued and made templates instead of marking directly to the finish stock. At this point I have all the frame members rough cut on a bandsaw awaiting a final pass on my router.
I intended to clamp the templates to the rough cut pieces and route the edges by hand but soon I realized this would prove to be difficult. So I made a quick router table out of a plank of 3/4" plywood by routing a recess for the router base about 1/2" deep. I then used a few pieces of carpet tape to fasten a template to one of the frame members. I used moderately sized pieces of the tape and it was a pain to release so I used much small bits the next time out.
All in all this set up has worked out great and the parts come needing little else than a few passes of sandpaper to ease the edges a bit.
template router 2.jpg
template router 1.jpg

J Clark

Re: Badlands Squirt Build

Post by J Clark » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:12 am

Thought I'd come in and shed some light on the goal for this little build :D We'll see if I can hit the mark.
The hull will be finished with a 2 part urethane paint, still not sure if I am going to go gloss or satin with the topcoat yet. The color will be a dark gray metallic shot with an old school automotive spray gun.
One design modification is the addition of a toerail along each sheer about 1/4" to 3/8" above the finished deck. I need to mock it up first to see if it will look good before any commitments are made of course.
I may get some flak for this next one....I'm going to deck her with oiled teak :shock: Its only money right :lol:
Attachments
deck plan squirt.jpg

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:22 am

Make sure you do not use a lot of thick teak. The added weight will cause you to be a wee bit disheatening. Oiled teak also requires some on going cleaning to keep it spiffy looking and runoff of the dirty water will need to be deal with in reqards to running inside the boat.

J Clark

Post by J Clark » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:42 am

Tell me about it! I had to keep all the teak on an old O'Day looking fresh for a number of years but it is something I enjoy doing. On this boat I think I'll be using 3/16" thick strips on a plywood deck. Wear and refinishing aren't much of an issue on a boat this size so I may go thinner yet. I really only need enough thickness to fair out any humps or dips caused by the laminating process. However 3/16" does seem to be the recommended minimum for a deck veneer with teak.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:34 pm

How's this as far as similar colors,raised edges
IMG_2422.JPG
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2425.JPG
IMG_2426.JPG
IMG_2427.JPG

J Clark

Post by J Clark » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:57 pm

More like this:
We can dream can't we :D
Last edited by J Clark on Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

gstanfield

Post by gstanfield » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:19 pm

well, that is indeed a pretty boat
I Peter 2:17

J Clark

Post by J Clark » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:44 am

My thinking on having the raised rail along the sheer is it will allow me to install the teak without a border. If I went with a flush rail I am not sure it would look right without a teak border. And since this is a stretched squirt the raised rail might bring it back into proportion a bit :roll:
As for the progress, all my bronze screws an bolts should arrive by Tuesday! It's nice to be able to order everything I need off one page. Thank you Glen L!

J Clark

Post by J Clark » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:53 pm

I finally epoxied some pieces today! I wasn't able to get much done since my plywood has not arrived yet but I had to do something, so I bonded frame #2's floor member to each of the lower frame sections. Not much but it is progress all the same. At least it will give me an idea on the cure time for the AeroMarine epoxy I'm using. The temps have been dipping into the 40's at night and I'm sure it will retard the cure quite a bit. If I had more pieces glued I would definitely keep things warm but I figured I would roll the dice on this one.
Hopefully my plywood will arrive by this wed so I can get these frames finished.

RoyH

Post by RoyH » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:37 am

J Clark wrote:More like this:
Sorry for hijacking, but that was a very nice design. Do you have a link or some more information on this one?
I'm just a starteled bunny in the headlights of life..

J Clark

Post by J Clark » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Here's a link: http://www.frauscherboats.com/en/produc ... ation.html

It's a Frausher 717 GT

Update on my squirt build:
I've managed to get all my frames mounted and bent my chines and sheers around without making any firewood :D I should have time this weekend to glue them in place.

J Clark

Post by J Clark » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Why oh why has Glen l not made an amendment to the squirt plans for a temporary frame to better align the chine?
When working from full size plans we are not offered the luxury of full size loftings or even lofting numbers for that matter. Designing a temp frame without these is a very painstaking ordeal. I have decided to muddle my way through it instead, as everyone before me has. I am not happy about it but I am happy with moving forward.
I have my chines epoxied to the stem and the next frame aft (frame#2). they seem to line up with the sheer in this fashion. Lets hope they hold some of those nice lines once they are forced into frame#1. I'll wait a few days before stressing the joints.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Not sure I follow you but just trying to understand, I dont have the squirt plans. If you have the chine installed at the stem and frame 2 where do you need a temporary frame?

J Clark

Post by J Clark » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:36 am

Well I cut my first attempt off since it created a flat spot at the first frame aft of the stem. Luckily I have a better idea of what is needed...I think.

This will be the last boat I build from plans without lofting numbers. It would have made things so much easier If I had them.

J Clark

Post by J Clark » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:15 am

Ordered the plywood for all the planking this morning. Rolling the dice a little, I ordered 5 sheets of virola marine-grade plywood. I wasn't to happy with the douglas-fir I used for the gussets,stem and transom. I did loads of research on virola and it seems to be a suitable species, a bit more resistant than okoume. We shall see how it holds up.

Return to “Small outboards”