scarf attachment for skill saw

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

klitz

scarf attachment for skill saw

Postby klitz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Has anyone used the scarfing attachment for skill saws advertised by West System designed by Gougeon Brothers? I just picked up the 2012 West Marine catalog and seen it in there. I works for up to 3/8" plywood. Does it do a good job?

lakeracer69

Re: scarf attachment for skill saw

Postby lakeracer69 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:10 pm

Make one out of scrap plywood. I'll have to find the picture of the one I made and post it.
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:22 pm

Can't say as I've tried that method but did look at it when I was looking into scarfing my panels. Having been a carpenter for years and having made my own scarfs I wonder how dead accurate it can be. I wound up making my own scarfing jig with an old dead table saw set up and a router, but my second choice would have been an adapter I saw that as far as I know is still made. It was designed for a specific Makita planer. Lots of ways to skin a cat, plus the set up isn't all that cheap if it's for a one project use.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

lakeracer69

Postby lakeracer69 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:12 pm

A couple of pictures of one that uses a skill saw. Note: use an ultra fine blade, not one like that is pictured.
Attachments
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

lakeracer69

Postby lakeracer69 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Or another version with a router that I have used.
Attachments
IMG_0081.JPG

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:50 am

lakeracer,

My scarf jig is essentially the same as your circular saw jig...works great. I stole the idea from another site.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

lakeracer69

Postby lakeracer69 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:37 pm

ttownshaw wrote:lakeracer,

My scarf jig is essentially the same as your circular saw jig...works great. I stole the idea from another site.

Me too! :lol: those pic's are probably 10 years old.

Return to “Small outboards”