1958 18 hp Evinrude fastwin rebuild

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

fergal butler

1958 18 hp Evinrude fastwin rebuild

Postby fergal butler » Fri May 11, 2012 1:04 pm

As if I haven't got enough going on I was asked to restore this little baby

I started off doing a compression test and one cylinder was very low not a good start As it had been sitting in a barn for the last 30 years I decided to put a bit of WD40 in and let it sit over night hoping it was just stuck rings. I did the test again and was getting 125 psi on each

I had a look at the gear oil and of course it was half full of water:grrr: it had been sitting for so long it looked like you could drink the water if you held your nose :shock:

Next I took off the air breather to have a look at the carb It looks like some sort of spider lived in here, what a mess.

Even the carb was full of spider **** or what looks like sawdust.

Can things get worse, O yes they can. I checked for a spark and guess what...........none so out with the harmonic balancer and off with the flywheel.

Parts ordered carb rebuild kit,coils,condensers and points I also want to change it to a standard fuel tank from a pressurised one so I ordered a mikuni pulse pump the plan is to get the engine to run before I decide to carry on with the rest of the rebuild. This must have made hard to start :D

fergal butler

Re: 1958 18 hp Evinrude fastwin rebuild

Postby fergal butler » Fri May 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Now to get some sanding done you know I love sanding :lol:

Out with the old and in with the new, the new condensers are much lower than the old ones so they must have copped on to that problem .

Here you can see the old float next to the new one it mush have been dying of thirst the new needle valve now comes with a little clip on spring to stop it from sticking as the last one just relayed on gravity.

Rebuild kit fitted and a bit of a clean should be as good as new or even better.

Not that many of you will ever change an old outboard from a pressurised fuel tank to a standard one but if you do this is how to go about it.
When you remove the intake manifold you will see two rubber check valve that go into the each crankcase chamber these send positive air down to the fuel tank.

Remove the valves and block up one of the holes, I used a vacuum line cap and cut it long enough so that when I put the manifold back on it will be held in place.

The other hole will give you the right amount of pulse pressure to work one of these a "pulse pump" so now instead of the hose going to the tank you connect it to the pump and that should now send the fuel to the carb.

Just some of the 27 different parts primed and painted. It will be getting new spark plugs

She is starting to come together now.

A bit cleaner than she was to start with :D

Just waiting on one small part before I try and start her up but this is more or less her.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Fri May 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Great job Fergal!!! Thanks for posting about the hose/pump conversion,I hadn't gotten into one far enough to know about blocking the one port.

Maybe some of the Merc parts rubbed off on it and created some magic!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: 8)

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Fri May 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Good stuff Fergal!
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

travis24

Postby travis24 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:35 pm

Excellent I have that in my future with the Mark 58 !!!

Thanks for all the pics

Travis
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

www.liquidassetsonline.org

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:16 pm

I cheated with my 1957 Johnson Sea Horse 18. I just swapped port covers with a 1960 motor I had for parts. Three minute fuel pump conversion. :D I'm keeping the 18 for my Minimax. My son and grandson should have lots of fun with it.
BTW, Fergal, at least you didn't have to go through what I am for my current project. That 85 has cost me 1800 for parts already, mostly electrical
34706_164560370225470_100000145238889_602153_5980648_n.jpg

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Fergal,

Awesome job! Appreciate the info on the conversion to a non-pressurized tank.

Just acquired a '62 Johnson 40 for my son and will be working through many of the same mechanical and cosmetic issues as your fast twin. Its inspiring to see what can be done...you have set the bar pretty high!

Regards,

Steve Hansen

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Fri May 11, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm in about €1000 for parts and about the same for stripping and painting, I took this on as a favour for someone so now I can't bring myself to add on any labour costs :cry: I don't think people see the work that goes into a job like this and the cost of every little washer and gasket.I will put this one down to a learning experiences but I don't think I will do it again "unless it's a merc" :lol:

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Fri May 11, 2012 4:16 pm

fergal butler wrote:I will put this one down to a learning experiences but I don't think I will do it again "unless it's a merc" :lol:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:32 pm

85 HP short shaft. Waiting for new distributor cap. The old one just crumbled away. 34 hours in on this project so far.
Lower unit installed today Removed flywheel waiting for new distributor cap.jpg

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri May 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Nice Job, Fergy!!!! Looks Great!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

jdr2114

Postby jdr2114 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:06 am

Fergal butler, I have the exact same motor down to the year and model. I am hoping to rebuild as well and similarly to yours, mine has been sitting in a garage for 30+ years. If you could give me any direction on where you got the matching parts for this rebuild, it would be greatly appreciated! Or for that matter if anyone knows any retailers who can provide me with the necessary rebuild kits and so on, I would be grateful.

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:17 pm

jdr2114 wrote:Fergal butler, I have the exact same motor down to the year and model. I am hoping to rebuild as well and similarly to yours, mine has been sitting in a garage for 30+ years. If you could give me any direction on where you got the matching parts for this rebuild, it would be greatly appreciated! Or for that matter if anyone knows any retailers who can provide me with the necessary rebuild kits and so on, I would be grateful.

Hi jdr2114 and welcome, the paint, decals and a few other bits I got from http://www.nymarine.ca/ the coils were used for many years and are still easy enough to get from any marine shops, the carb kit and float I got on ebay.
Best of luck with the rebuild.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Very nice :D Thanks for all of the pictures.

Fry Cook

Postby Fry Cook » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi, Great Stuff here! I'm doing the same, more or less, with a 1956 Johnson 30hp RD-18. I want to convert to a pump system rather than using the pressurized tank. Being it is a larger engine than yours, can you recommend the proper pump and is the method the same?

Thanks, Tom

Return to “Small outboards”