Utility build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Steve S

Re: Utility build

Post by Steve S » Mon May 30, 2016 5:05 pm

Looks awesome, Michael! You do nice work.
Steve S
Squirt build

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:22 am

Thank you, Steve!

I'm slowly making progress on the varnish and other remaining tasks. Here's a photo showing the 4th coat of varnish on the deck. From some angles, the fiberglass tape I used on the center seam is completely visible. From others, it all but disappears. In retrospect, I wish I had sanded the fiberglass down a lot more. At the time, I was concerned about accidentally sanding through the top veneer of the plywood.

I had really hoped that the fiberglass tape would not be noticeable. I probably should've stuck with my original plan, which was to coat the entire deck at once with 4oz cloth as part of butt-joining the plywood panels on the center line. However, I was concerned that the fiberglass & epoxy, all the way across, would prevent me from being able to bend the deck panels to match the crown of the framing.
Attachments
IMG_9956.jpg
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:38 pm

Great Job!

There are many a flaw on my ZIP, but it seems that as long as I don't point them out nobody seems to notice, except perhaps the cigarette ash stain :)
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:56 pm

There is only one person that has commented on the flaws in the Tahoe. He doesn't come around anymore :twisted: :roll: :wink: There's your hint :!:

I'm proud of it. That's all that matters. I didn't know I could do it. But, I did it anyway!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:29 am

I agree, some flaws are good, it reminds you it wasnt easy and is an accomplishment, makes you proud of how good it DOES look.

The fiberglass tape looks barely noticeable in the pic Michael but if its bothering you maybe a teal stripe is in order? Here is an idea on Doug's Zip deck... http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/zip-desi ... oug-hodder

tcough

Post by tcough » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:38 am

Some Japanese woodworkers believe that only God can make something perfect. Therefore, if they build something that turns out perfect, they intentionally put a dent in the wood, make a scratch somewhere, etc., just so that it's not perfect. As a woodworker, I've never made anything perfect and remind myself of this Japanese thought. So if anyone criticizes your work, just remind them of them and enjoy the fruits of your labor and love.

And beautiful job!
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:46 am

Looks great. Can't wait to see you and the boat at G10.
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

travis24

Post by travis24 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:59 am

Impressive! :D

Travis
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

https://waterhogsworks.com/

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:24 am

We're always our own worst critics. Looks good from here. This is going to be a gorgeous boat.

largej

Post by largej » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:23 am

Michael - Sweet! It looks great and nice combination of colors, trim and hardware. Mine is getting there and I have lots of little flaws. But, I have learned a lot and gotten more skilled. Finishing seems to be my Achilles Heel.
You have been a compass.
Jim

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:45 pm

Mike, looking good. don't worry about the flaws. I think Bill Edmundson said it best. It's something he accomplished and he's proud of it. You can be proud as well. When you think of what you actually accomplished and how few people actually tackle something like this, well I think that speaks for itself.

And now you can apply what you've learned as you begin to move forward on the Zip.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:14 am

Thank you for the kind comments, everyone. Bill, yes I agree with Carl... I think you hit the nail on the head.

For the time being, my varnish work has been put on hold as I work to install a bilge pump, battery, and switch. I'm building a battery mount that will straddle the stem, just forward of frame #2. I'm planning to mount the switch underneath the rear starboard quarter knee, and mount the pump itself on a removable plywood panel.

All that isn't stopping me from enjoying the boat, however. My son and I had it out on the river at Hales Bar again yesterday. Water conditions were considerably more calm than last time, so we were able to go farther up river, as well as underneath the I-24 overpass. We had a great time. The little 8hp struggles a bit with both of us on board. When we got home, I adjusted the trim on the motor up one notch. We'll see if that helps next time I take the boat out.

Here are a few progress photos....
Attachments
IMG_0010_1.jpg
IMG_0751.jpg
IMG_0761.jpg
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:24 am

Nice Michael! Great too see it in the water, looking complete! I run both my Zip and I ran that Utility in the second tilt position. That outta help.

Looking forward to some video. wink, wink. :wink:

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:18 pm

So cool! Looks fantastic from here.
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

Return to “Small outboards”