Wonderful--thank you for the ride!

jenko

Re: Squirt build, in northern Norway

Postby jenko » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:51 pm

well done

Fred Østli

Postby Fred Østli » Mon May 02, 2016 12:18 am

Oups! seems like the 45 year old Mercury have some problems. It was running wery smooth but suddenly there was a bad ticking sound, maybe a rod og some bearings gone. We had a plan buying a newer motor anyway, so now we have started looking. It is still early spring here and we are happy to have tried it, and now we know it deserves a good motor. while looking for a motor we will mount some battens under the hull, because it drifted a lot. Drifting is fun, but I guess it is safer and easyer to control with some battens. Any suggestions for thickness and lenght?

I am surpriced how safe and stable this little boat feels. After some tilt adjustment we managed to get 28 knots with me and my son aboard. We consider a Suzuki df20 for it, and hope to find a relatively new used one. That is a wery light (45kg) 4-stroke.

Also fun to see my son inspired by the project. He actually consider building a ZIP later :D

Fred

Fred Østli

Postby Fred Østli » Sun May 29, 2016 1:57 pm

We now have a brand new Susuki 15hp for the Squirt. We have testet it some small trips but it needs breakin, so we do not have top speed yet. I believe we also need a propeller with more pitch, as the rpm limiter breaks inn before top speed. Does anyone have a reomendation for pitch for the Squirt with 4 stroke 15 hp. In the photo you se the shed we are building also. It is on a part of our property by a river and the brackish water that can take you too the sea. :D
DSC_1211.JPG

DSC_1213.JPG

Fred

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun May 29, 2016 5:50 pm

Nice setup with the boat house. That is going to be nice! Modern motors sure give confidence for venturing a long way too!

How close to max throttle are you when the rev limiter kicks in? I had to go up 1 inch in pitch on my Mercury 8hp on my Utility. I think Glen-L boats are a lot lighter than factory built boats these motors go on.

If you are just barely hitting the limiter, 1 inch should do it. If you are hitting it at about 3/4" throttle I would go up an inch in diameter as well as an inch in pitch.

Fred Østli

Postby Fred Østli » Mon May 30, 2016 12:08 am

We are on about 3/4 trottle when the limiter kicks in. We are also a little bit unsure if the electronics limit more rpm in the break-in period, so we will talk with the salesman about that. The pitch is only at 9" so I guess we will try 11" or 12"

Fred

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon May 30, 2016 6:09 am

Freed
Here is how pitch works. Guess at the running weight. I'll do the Bartender, because I need to now.

I guess with 1/2 full tanks, a couple of people, 400 pound engine, gear ...etc. I'll be running about 3600 lbs. I'm buying a 115 hp Suzuki. BTW modern engines are rated as shaft HP, older engines were rated at the flywheel. So, an old 100 is now about a 90 hp.

3600/115=31.3 Going into this Chart http://www.glen-l.com/how-fast/ it should do about 30 MPH (need too lose some weight.)

30 mph = 1/2 m/ minute = 44 feet /sec. The Engine turn 5500 rpm =92R/sec. The gear is 2,59:1= 35.4 rev/sec

Pitch = 44x12/35.4=14.9"

I've rounded up each time and will probably get a 16 pitch to account for some slippage.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon May 30, 2016 10:50 am

Yes a 11 pitch would probably be my next choice.

I was barely over revving my 11 ft Utility and went up from a 9x9 to a 9x10. Came down about 300 rpm. Acceleration was slightly longer to get on plane. Thats why you dont want to go too much, its a trade off.

Fred Østli

Postby Fred Østli » Mon May 30, 2016 2:06 pm

We have ordered a 12" pitch My son is just around 60 kg so with him alone it should work, we hope :-) The boat now get on plane in 2-3 sec with the both of us aboard. I will report after we have tested the new propeller.

Fred

Fred Østli

Postby Fred Østli » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:57 am

The Squirt have got its own shed by the river. Nearly finished :D

DSC_1225.JPG

The last week have been very gusty, but we have tested it with the new propeller. My son alone got 27 knots and the rpm was measured to 5500. We are satisfied with that with a 15 hp.

Below a photo of the little river we follow out to the lake.

DSC_1220.JPG

Fred

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:47 am

Prop pitch on a Squirt is tricky. Small changes in pitch make a big difference on the small boat. On my 20 hp I starteed with a 10 pitch and had the same rpm limiter issues. Switch to a 12 pitch and the boat was too sluggish to get on plane. Settled with an 11 pitch, she got on plane quickly and topped out at 29 mph. I'm curious to hear how your 15 hp, 12 pitch works out.
Matt
McKinney, TX
Attachments
image.jpeg

Fred Østli

Postby Fred Østli » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:30 am

With the 12 pitch it got easy on plane with the both of us (Me 80 kg, and my son 60 kg) We managed to get 24 knots with the two of us, and my son got 27 knots alone. He tested rpm also to 5500. The manufakturer recomend top rpm between 5-6000 so that is perfect.

Tilting is also essential, and we will experiment more with that. Tilting the bow down, makes it plane easy, but limit top speed, and tilting bow up takes longer to plane but increase top speed. The last test my son did alone the tilting was one link from the lowest point on the bracket, (Bow up) The bow did not start to jump, so he will try the last link on the bracket to move the bow even more up.

I agree this boat is sensitive to load, and adjusting the tilt maybe easier than changing prop for when you get a passenger. How i your tilting? McKinney

Hope you understand my tilting explenation :mrgreen: (Hard to be a Norwegian on the internet ... not :D )

Fred

Steve S

Postby Steve S » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:38 am

Great setup you have, Fred. Out of the boat house and into the water. :)
It sounds like your 15hp has plenty of power and the right prop.
Your tilting explination was right on. :D Sounds like you and your son have it dialed in.
Steve S
Squirt build

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:37 am

That's awesome, Fred! Well done...

Fred Østli

Postby Fred Østli » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:30 pm

My son have a cousin who made a 3d model and 3d printed our Squirt. She did not have the plans, so its Just made from photos. Ut has an electric inboard motor. :mrgreen:
DSC_1401.JPG

Fred

Return to “Small outboards”