Squirt build, in northern Norway

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Fred Østli

Re: Squirt build, in northern Norway

Post by Fred Østli » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:04 pm

:D Ekornes aproaching boat industry might be a good idea... :) I live near Bodø, and I must travel to Trondheim to get marine plywood, so I consider other solutions as stated abowe :)

Fred

Riff

Post by Riff » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:02 am

Hehe. That would be something. :D

I work in the maintenance deparment at one of the smaller factories in the Ekornes group. We make all the laminates for the chairs, tables and such.
So we have quite alot of machinery to do laminations and also the processing afterwards, like big cnc mills, wide belt dimention sanders and such.
I'm really looking forward to start building the boat :D
Kurt

My build, hopefully a tribute in remembrance of my grandfather Jon.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26502

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Just an update to show tha project is still alive. The form is almost complete and we are mounting frames on it
Form.jpg
Regards Fred

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:16 pm

It has been a year, but my build is not dead... I have now started with Chine, sheer and battens, and I hope it will be some real progress before the winter. I have made myself a steam-bender for making the bending of chine and sheer easyer.

Regards

Fred
Attachments
20130802_232439.jpg

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:23 am

Hi Fred! It's looking good!

Are your frame members already epoxied together? The reason I ask is that I believe the deck beam, per the plans, is supposed to be on the forward surface of the side members rather than on the back. That may not make much actual difference, I don't know... However, it might be worth looking into if the deck beam is not epoxied on just yet.
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Thankyou for notifying me Michael. As far as I can see, this is not a big problem as the deck beam is some inch forward from the dashboard.

I worked a couple of hours today, and planed the longitudinals. I realized it would be hard to bend the chines as they are. The materials i use has been dried for several years, so I put them in a ditch close to my workshop to give them some moisture. I have read that steambending is most efficent when the wood is relatively fresh cut.
chine (2).jpg

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:56 pm

I was tempted to post a picture of my cabincruiser too ;-) This is a boat buildt in Norway in 1981 called Tresfjord29 (29ft) We use it for holiday-trips and fishing. Isnt she a beauty? I plan to drag the Squirt with me on longer trips, do you thik it will work? I am cruising around 9 knots as my boat has a displacement hull.
20130728_142411 (2).jpg

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:26 am

Fred, that should make the Squirt look small. :lol:
Steve
Squirt build

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Well,,, I want that one to look big you know :mrgreen: But The Squirt will certainly make it look slow :wink:

Fred

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Hello again

I was lucky finding time to work on the chine today. It was easy to bend after two days in the ditch

The Chine is not mounted yet, but clamped to the frame and stem. I would appreciate some comment on this:
Does it look ok at the notch on frame1. Is it supposed to fit in the notch in frontside or backside of the frame?
Chine2.jpg
Is the lateral positioning at the stem ok? (i know it must be mounted a little longer aft)
Chine1.jpg
I worry a bit about the most forward part of the chine. It seems to straighten out a bit to much the last 40 cm. In the plans it has a curve all the way to the stem. Could this be a problem?
Chine3.jpg
Regards Fred.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:26 pm

Fred... From the pictures, it looks like the chines are notched properly at the frames, but you may have to re-cut new angles where they meet the stem.. Remember they should intersect the stem so that when you make the stem into a "V', the outside edge of the chine will follow the faired stem. The picture shows that you have them intersecting the unfaired edge of the stem.. Where they are notched in at each frame, they should be just slightly proud on the sides and bottom. You will eventually fair the chines as well as the frames so everything flows gracefully to the next frame, and so on in all directions. Best of luck with your build.....Neel

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Thankyou for your comment Neel. I know I have to recut the chine to intersect with the stem, they are just clampet to the frames now to see how they fbend. Good thing if the rest looks ok :-) I have read that some had to add some wood to it to make the right profile on it. I guess the panel is supposed to lay flat on the side of the first frame, so it must be faired in an angle. In that case I believe the notch for the chine must be slightly deeper, but correct me if I am wrong!

Fred

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:16 am

Fred.... It's hard to tell from looking at the picture, and it's hard to explain in writing. If you look at the intersection where the chine meets the frame in the picture, the aft edge of the frame should be in slightly from the outside of the chine. You don't have to worry about the front edge in this case, as the frame will be faired in towards the bow. So if the chine is in slightly where it intersects the forward edge of the frame, that is ok. Just think it over and you won't have any problems.....Neel

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:58 am

Maybe a few photos will help ...

This photo illustrates a plywood fixture to determine the position of the chine on the stem side. The bottom and side must mate to the stem and chine on a continuous surface :

Roberta's Zip build thread has a great photo to illustrate the junction :
Fitting the chine logs is covered in great detail in Glen-L's book Boatbuilding with Plywood by Glen L. Witt.

Hope this helps !

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html
Last edited by Mr Hot Rod on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:54 am

Nice Paul.. Those two pics tell the whole story as to the point where the chine intersects the stem. A thousand words couldn't explain it as well...Neel

Return to “Small outboards”