Squirt build, in northern Norway

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Fred Østli

Re: Squirt build, in northern Norway

Post by Fred Østli » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks.

I have understood fitting of the chine, and how it must be faired. I was most uncertain about how high on the stem it should be placed, and a little worried about it straighten out most forward. I read somwhere in the forum that this was marked in the plans, and it is a mark for chine on the stem in the Squirt plans, so I did some adjustments today. I have also clamped the first sheer, and the shape of the boat starting to be visible :) I will let them dry before I do the last fitting and have them mounted. This is really a satisfying project, and the forum is a really good help getting it right :D

Fred

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Glued chine and the first timber for the sheer-laminate today. It is not perfect in the notches, but it is well glued. Next is finishing the sheer laminate.

Sheer and chine is cheers :?
cheers.jpg
Fred

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Glued chine and the first timber for the sheer-laminate today. It is not perfect in the notches, but it is well glued. Next is finishing the sheer laminate.

Sheer and chine is cheers :?
cheers.jpg
Fred

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:03 am

Good job Fred. You are working much faster then I am. I did some encapsulating with epoxy this weekend but that’s about it. Is three coats really necessary? Let me know how much fun fairing is. :lol:
Steve
Squirt build

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:36 am

I do not know exactly how much epoxy is needed, At this stage I have used leftovers after gluing parts to encapsulate frames so far. After the flip, I will put minimum one layer extra, and then paint it inside. My craftmaship need some finish to look good on the inside I guess... :) I am working on it daily right now, but it will be times I must let it rest for some weeks too, so you might catch up om me Steve

Fred

red

Post by red » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:41 pm

your doing great just keep going one step at a time and before you know it you'll have a boat

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:05 am

Fairing for the planking nearly finished. I find it usefull to clamp on the whole ply for the sides to see how it fits, while I do the fairing. And Steve: Fairing is actually fun. its like giving the hull the final shape :) Hoping to glue it on this week.

Any opinion on using screws? I am thinking about using clamps when glueing it on and skip the screws. I guess the screws is not needed if it is glued well, but tell me if I am wrong...
20130818_212634.jpg
20130818_212550.jpg
Fred

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:44 am

Great job Fred. You are wayyy ahead of me now. Yours is starting to look like a boat. I didn't work on mine at all last weekend. Life got in the way. Hopefully I will get back at it later this week. Chines need to be made. I hope you are right on the fairing being fun.
Steve
Squirt build

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:51 am

Sounds familiar, sometimes life (read wife) get in the way :D Have you looked at this list : http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/31727/th ... 5-minutes/ ?

Fred

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:53 am

Fred Østli wrote:Any opinion on using screws? I am thinking about using clamps when glueing it on and skip the screws. I guess the screws is not needed if it is glued well, but tell me if I am wrong...
I would definitely add the screws in addition to gluing the planking on. As for gluing the planking on first, then adding the screws later (after the epoxy cures), I think the success of doing so would depend entirely on how well you're able to clamp the planking to the framework. Myself, I would prefer to add screws while the epoxy is still wet.

Your build is looking really good!
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up with a combination. Screws up front where it is difficult to use clamps. I might add some screws on the rest too. I have mounted two of the sideplankings now, and this is really fun. I believe the hull will be quite smooth. I must confess this boat will not be a work of art like some of the builds here, but it will be ok, and functional. I Will try to put some effort in the finish, deckings and the most wisible areas.

btw. Michael I had a short wisit at your blog, and I like the way you describe your work. I needed the same fix as you on the chine. It was wery usefull to clamp on the whole planking to se what would be the natural curve for the plywood, and how the wedge needed to be.

Fred

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:57 am

Hi Fred,

Thank you for the kind comment about the blog. Hopefully it will be a useful reference for others. I gain a lot from reading other boat builder's blogs, for sure.
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:39 am

One good thing about boatbuilding: It is always good weather for enjoying the hobby. Especially when the rayiny days stop you from building the new stair to the front door, and you have no choice escaping into the workshop gluing side-planking :mrgreen:
20130821_223955.jpg
Fred

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:35 am

I have startet to think about what engine to use on the Squirt, and want some opinions on that. I will use the winter looking for a good offer.

Here in Norway we have some rules making small second hand two-stroke outboard wery popular: Since 2007 it is not legal to sell new two-stroke. Engines bigger than 10 hp is not allowed in fresh-water, and kids is not allowed to run above 10 hp. Trimmed 10hp is wery popular, and hard to get. Sometimes it is easyer to get hands on four-stroke-engines, but they weight more. My Squirt will be used in saltwater, so I am considering 20hp engine. A four-stroke-20 hp is about 50 kg. Is this too much at the Squirt-transom?

I know some use 25hp two-stroke on Squirt, but i do not know the weight (Ok I google it... :wink: )

Fred

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:29 pm

This weeks update:

I am working on fairing for the bottom planking. On the picture you see my diy fairing tool. I fastened machine-sanding-paper on a planed stick with double sided tape. It is working well. I have stained the fir plywood also. My first plan was to paint it white, but I consider too keep it like this. The stain I use is waterbased, so the epoxy will stick too it (I did a test)
20130831_204952.jpg
Fred

Return to “Small outboards”