Squirt build, in northern Norway

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Fred Østli

Re: Squirt build, in northern Norway

Post by Fred Østli » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:33 pm

I used screws. In the end I believe the epoxy is what really hold it together. The screws is best especially at the stem where you need some pressure and it is hard to use clamps

Fred

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Fairing-weekend... Well most off it is painting the house, but I started fairing the hull today, and now I need some advice.

In the picture you see some glossy spots. This is the lowest spots in the epoxy layer. I am a bit afraid to fair off too much, because I see some placec I am close to the glassfiber-cloth. I consider to put one or two more layer of epoxy, to have more too fair on. But will the epoxy stick to this glossy spots? If not what would be the best to do?
20130921_223457.jpg
Fred

Mojo

Post by Mojo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:52 pm

Just fill the low spots with epoxy filler, no need to recoat the whole hull, you'll only be sanding it off again. Rough up the spots you want to fill with some sand paper and clean the dust out. Epoxy will stick in there fine.

Have fun.

Cheers
Mojo

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Thanks Mojo. I want the wood pattern to shine thru, I might try thickened epoxy.

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:09 pm

The boat met water for the first time today, and I believe she liked it :D Soapwater that is, cleaning for dust and potential amine blush. I used also some fine steel wool and scrubbed it with soap water. Nex is to fill lower points with epoxy. I have some spots where the cloth is wisible, so it needs more epoxy there. The reason for this is that I spilled some epoxy on the sides while gluing the planking, and did not fair it good enough after, making some higher spots for the cloth. It will be some more weeks, but I believe I flip it before it is winter.
20130922_212640.jpg
Fred

Pullie

Post by Pullie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:07 am

Looking good Fred, I use 3M scotchbrite too rough up the low spots, I Also placed a postit paper on each low spot after roughing it up so I wouldn't forget any when touching up with the epoxy ( learned that after 2 times of missing some spots)

I was at the same point you are last year, lot's of sanding fairing and filling the low spots, are you going to paint below the waterline? if so let the paint cure completely before flipping

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:53 am

Thanks for the tips Pullie.

Yes i will paint below waterline with a two-parts paint. Tha marine paints all state that they should be used over the waterline, but I guess with two-part it is ok to use at the bottom. It will not be stored in water but live most of the time on trailer in a shed. I would like feedback on bottom painting. If it will stay longer on water I guess you put antifouling paint on top of a two-part paint? Antifouling is to prewent growth, so with a couple of weeks in water i guess it is not needed?

Fred

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:42 am

Looking good Fred. You are really moving along. You will be flipping in no time. :)
Steve
Squirt build

Mojo

Post by Mojo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:12 am

A 2 pack polyurethane will last fine in water for a week or so, but may start to bubble after that. On other boats I have used a 2 pack epoxy paint below the water as that will be fine underwater, provided you keep marine growth scrubbed off. The problem with epoxy is that UV light damages it and it will not keep it's gloss as well as polyurethane.

Cheers
Mojo

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:39 am

Guess two-pack epoxy is best then. Will antifouling protect from uv light? Some antifouling tend to crack when the boat is out of the water also....

Mojo

Post by Mojo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:47 pm

I haven't used antifoul before for that sort of application, but have heard of people who have. You need to be selective of what you use as some will stop working when they are out of the water for too long, others will wear out going on and off the trailer.

Provided you aren't worried about keeping the gloss, epoxy alone will be fine for a long time. I'm in Queensland, Australia, we have some of the strongest UV in the world. The boat lived outside on its trailer. The epoxy was on the bottom, so obviously didn't see the full extremes of the sun, but lasted well. It has been there for 4 years now and is still in good shape. I used Jotun, Jotacoat. If the boat lives in the shed when not in use it will last forever.

Cheers
Mojo

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:54 am

Thanks. Guess the uv is much weaker here. Jotun might be a good akternativ available here (Norvegian brand)

Fred

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 am

Some busy weeks, and now we have cold weather in Northern Norway. There might be no flip before the winter and project litteraly put on ice until the spring. So what do a man do, when the boatbuilding addiction has set it`s claws in your back, and the cold stops you from building? You just start to plan the next build, and so I did. It will not be a Glen-l design, but for those interested I give you a link to my thread on Wodenboat forum: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... design-166

Have a nice winter!!!

Fred

Fred Østli

Post by Fred Østli » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:58 pm

Well, this is not the fastest Squirt-build, but it is not abandoned. Today I was lucky to get a motor for free from a friend. It is a Mercury thunderbolt 9.8 hp. My friend did not know what year it is from, so I would like to get some help on info about it
20140619_215720.jpg
20140619_215751.jpg
Anyoone know if this can be trimmed to 15hp?

Regards Fred

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:43 am

Welcome back Fred.

You should be able to find out the year of your new motor here.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/ ... parts.html

Use the chart and your S/N.

Steve
Squirt build

Return to “Small outboards”