Barra's Zip Update and Qs

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Barra

Re: Barra's Zip Update and Qs

Post by Barra » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:07 pm

So it's been almost 6 months since fibreglassing but the Zip now has a couple of coats of primer. Used Jotun Penguard HB with a foam roller and it went on nice and easy. Sure the top coat won't be as forgiving...

Also built the cradle (prior to painting!) all ready to receive the Zip.

I don't think the bottom is that fair though. I did long board sand but there are still a few high and low spots but I think it's good enough. One thing that I did notice after the first coat of primer was the number of pin holes.. You can see the photo below where I went back over it and fill those prior to the second coat of primer. The Penguard HB easily fill sanding marks but was too thick to get into the pinholes. Something to be aware of for anyone reading..

Now to try and get the top coat on and turn the boat before heading offshore later in the year..

Cheers
Barra
Filling pinholes prior to second coat of primer
Filling pinholes prior to second coat of primer
After second coat of primer
After second coat of primer
Cradle
Cradle

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:27 am

Look's really nice!!! try using an epoxy glazing compound to fill in those pinholes. They will really haunt you if left unfilled.

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Barra

Post by Barra » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:11 pm

Well after 3 coats of primer (I really should have faired the hull better before painting) I'm almost ready for the top coat. Using Norglass Northane Gloss (http://www.norglass.com.au/products/northane-gloss) which is an Australian made 2 pack polyurethane. Plan to roll and tip.

Was planning to do I this weekend but it's forecast to be 43 degrees C (109 F)! Think I might wait for it to cool down a bit..

Barra

Post by Barra » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:04 pm

So my attempt at the top coat was disastrous.. Ended up sanding it all off and re-priming prior to send to a professional painter. Was worth it in the end, much much better job than I could do and at a reasonable price (particularly considering how much I had already wasted on paint).

The boat has now been turned and placed on the cradle ready to start the interior and deck.
IMG_1425.JPG
IMG_1426.JPG
Not sure how much I'll get done over the next few months as I be off on this boat for a fair bit of time:
fugro7_185852_610_335.jpg

Flash

Epoxy

Post by Flash » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi,

I think I heard that some of you encapsulate the entire frame before gluing and some of you glue to bare wood at the joints. I'm wondering which way is better? I think the Glen-L Epoxy manual says pre-coat then glue.

Thanks,
Flash
Last edited by Flash on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:35 am

Love the white hull! Excellent choice sir!

Is that a research vessel? It seems to have big winches--hauler? Maybe you are going out to search for that reported 'debris' 1400 miles off the coast of Perth...

Be safe.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Barra

Post by Barra » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Hey Flash,

I precoated the joints first then glued . It was suggested to me to precoat the entire frame but I was impatient and didn't do it. On reflection it would have been easier, however now I'll do it t all in one go which should seal it well.

Yep Andy, white is the business. Also hides a lot of sins better than a dark hull. We did a 125ft motor yacht a number of years ago with a dark grey hull and you could see all the imperfections...

The ship is a construction vessel, 140m long with a 250 tonne crane. Pretty impressive boat... There is a fair bit of activity out if Perth at the moment, lots of planes flying out searching.

Flash

Post by Flash » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks Barra!

That clears it up for me.
That white paint job is beautiful - I'm planning on a white hull for my Flying Saucer also.

Thanks again,
Flash
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

Barra

Post by Barra » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:41 am

After 3 weeks solid of 6-6 nightshift I'm back onshore and back to work on the Zip.

The forward seat back frame and deck battens have been fitted. Next up is to start the interior once I finally decide which way to go. Keep second guessing what to do, just need to make a decision and stick with it! :?

Also looks like the old blue band merc is going to make way for a new 4 stroke merc.
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1579.jpg

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:53 am

Look's really nice!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Barra

Post by Barra » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:09 am

Thanks Roberta, I'm getting excited about it again. Only a couple of hours work today and its made a big difference!

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:39 am

Very nice workmanship.

I too remember agonizing over the interior design. Probably spent as much time thinking about it as actually building it. What size 4 stroke are you going with?

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:05 am

What Chris said and more. I entertained some pretty unconventional designs for the interior layout before deciding on something traditional. I drew a lot of structural ideas from Mark Shipley's well documented design. I found his work to be intuitive, strong, and simplistic--all the elements I was looking for. I made some changes of my own, but am happy thus far.

Your work is very clean and orderly. This is the point on my build where I found myself wanting to speed up. Making it worse was the fact that I discovered some errors in my lines at the sheer which had to dealt with via copious amounts of thickened epoxy. My work was a tad sloppy to put it mildly.

Well done!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:14 am

This is the stage that I would like to get to as soon as possible. Feels like I've been building the hull forever.

Love the lines of the Zip. Your's is looking good. Can't wait to see more.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Small outboards”