Barra's Zip Update and Qs

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Barra

Re: Barra's Zip Update and Qs

Postby Barra » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Hey Mojo,
I bought the tank from Amazon. Its a Moeller 12 gallon (24.5" x 18.5" x 7.25") and bought the installation kit with it (filler, hoses, vent, hold down kit). Shipping was a killer but all up still about $100 cheaper than locally and that didn't include the installation kit, so really ~$200 cheaper.

It's been slow progress here. I'm building outside and its been pretty cold and wet in Perth the last couple of weeks. Managed to finish (well pretty much) painting the interior and have mounted the fuel tank. Need to varnish the consoles and seat boxes and get those mounted. Then trial fit the motor, drill holes etc and get lengths for control and steering cables.

Looking forward to longer days, its dark by the time I get home and not very motivating to go out and work...

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:51 am

Cheers Barra,
Where are you going to put your filler cap and vent?

Cheers
Mojo

Barra

Postby Barra » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:50 am

Sorry Mojo, missed your post. I was planning to put the fill in the margin board but might put it directly above the tank. Will put a round timber piece in to match the margin boat. Vent? Don't know... Don't want it on the deck, guess it will go on the side below the rugging strip.

Done a bit of work over the last couple of weeks:
Trial fitted engine
Wiring (mainly done now)
New dashboard - the frame as per the plans is too small to fit the steering helm
Fitted a fuel filter and fuel lines
IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1755.jpg

Really hoping to have the boat ready for this summer, see how that goes..

Barra

Postby Barra » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:53 am

And one more of the dash with a coat of epoxy. Excuse the old shower curtain collected any drips...
IMG_1763.JPG

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks for the update! Looking great!

Barra

Postby Barra » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:25 am

Thanks. Just hope it might prove useful to others building, just as I've benefitted from reading through yours and others builds.

Wish I had picked up the issue with the size of the frame used for the dash so didn't have to add another piece but all working out ok now.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:44 am

I'll never get tired of looking at other people build photos. Always good to see how someone else does it and is great inspiration.

Your boat looks lovely. The 50hp will have plenty of power. I'm about 3 hours in to running my 30hp in. Top speed so far is 28.9kts (33mph). I'm hoping to beat 30kts once she is run in.

Cheers
Mojo

Barra

Postby Barra » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:08 am

Thanks Mojo. Your boat is looking awesome btw, love the design you've gone with.

Reckon 30 knots will feel pretty fast in a boat this size! 50hp should be (more than) enough, but hoping the extra power will help with pulling a skier.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:15 am

What steering are you using? I didn't have to make the dash any bigger using the Teleflex rack steering.

Barra

Postby Barra » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:18 am

I'm using a multiflex system, has a large bezel which I assumed would be fairly standard. Guess I should have looked around a bit more but it was all local boat shop carries.

Barra

Postby Barra » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Think I've done everything I can under the deck, so starting to put the ply sub deck on now.

How did you guys do the hull to deck transition? I assume the angle should be the same as the hull and the S/S rub rail will have to twist to suit the flare up forward??

IMG_1812.jpg

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:57 pm

Looks good mate,
I did what you describe, have the deck edge at the same angle as the hull sides.

Cheers
Mojo

Barra

Postby Barra » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:05 am

Thanks Mojo.

So thats the ply sub deck all secure and time to start the main deck. Going with Fijian mahogany for the perimeter boards and 65mm wide Victoria ash for the longitudinal planks.

Planning for 10mm thick boards. Bit difficult to find the wider boards (up to 300mm wide) to be able to cut the curve but have found the Fijian stuff. Looks like there will be plenty of wastage thicknesses down to 10mm though.
photo.JPG

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Nice stage to be at isn`t it. I bet your as thrilled as I am. Nice looking boat isn`t she.

I just finished coating the sub-deck with 1 coat of epoxy to prep for the finishing boards.
Still have to bevel the Sheer edge to conform to the sides. I used about 200 ring nails to fasten
the deck. Didn`t bother nailing along battens on the fore-deck.
Great to see your work.

Cheers.

Josh

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:36 pm

It's so cool when the noticeable things start getting added. We spend so much time doing all the little chores (and some not so little!), that it's a great feeling to be able to have something photogenic. She's looking great Barra. Hopefully by the time boating season comes around for you, you'll be able to launch here. Looking forward to seeing those pictures.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Small outboards”