Barra's Zip Update and Qs

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

BarnacleMike

Re: Barra's Zip Update and Qs

Postby BarnacleMike » Sun May 25, 2014 6:33 am

Good-looking motor, Barra! Congratulations!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Buckeyesmith

Postby Buckeyesmith » Sun May 25, 2014 8:49 am

Looking good. Epoxy is very slick when cured compared to varnish. You might want to varnish the seat to prevent your cushions from sliding around. I launched my first boat with an epoxy only interior. When it got wet we couldn't even stand up in it. We looked like the Keystone cops out on water.
My Webalbum: http://picasaweb.google.com/Buckeyesmith1/Gem#

The best part about a manual screwdriver is not needing to remember if you left it in reverse.

Completion is but one step in the process and not one bit more important than the others.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sun May 25, 2014 9:01 am

You cannot leave epoxy exposed to sunlight, the epoxy breaks down from the UV light. You need varnish with high UV protection to protect the epoxy from the sun.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Barra

Postby Barra » Sun May 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Thanks guys.

The epoxy will definitely be protected where exposed (varnish on highly visible areas - deck, dash, consoles, floor boards and painted elsewhere - inside of hull, under deck etc) but I'll just go with epoxy for other areas which wont see sunlight (inside of seat boxes, etc).

Good point about how slippery epoxy can be. The seat boxes themselves will be varnished and I'll probably use Velcro to secure the cushions.

Cheers

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Mon May 26, 2014 4:23 pm

The undersides of my deck and seats are epoxy only--no UV protection. It's fine that way since there is not direct UV light.

A better or more cautious builder may disagree.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Barra

Postby Barra » Sat May 31, 2014 4:42 am

Slowwwllly progressing...

Working on the transom at the moment, made up a pair of portal frames to beef it up a bit. Should tie in the transom, deck, bottom battens and seat back.
IMG_1692.jpg

Also trial fitted the throttle to the console. Seems ok
IMG_1687.JPG

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Sat May 31, 2014 5:24 am

That looks like some good bracing for the transom. I did something very much like what you did.
The design on the shift box looks good. Do you have access to the cables and wireing harness.
On my Zip I took everything out of the control box wire wise and ran it to the dash. Using a push to choke/start key switch.
Then hooked up a volt meter and gas gauge, switches for lights and buldge pumps.
What size motor are you going to have \
Jeff

Barra

Postby Barra » Sat May 31, 2014 5:33 am

Hey Jeff,

I've run a tube behind the console to the transom for cables and shift linkages. Will need to split the cables to the dash out of there first.

Like the idea of relocating the key switch and choke to the dash, although I never finish this boat if I get sidetracked!

Motor is a new 50hp 2 stroke Tohatsu. Should get here running nicely.

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Sat May 31, 2014 2:45 pm

Does that control mount allow enough throttle travel? Mine goes forward beyond horizontal.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Barra

Postby Barra » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:23 am

Yep, theres enough travel. Almost got caught out as checked it on throttle already fitted to a boat but that didn't have full travel. So more luck than judgement but worked out ok in the end.

Barra

Postby Barra » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:29 am

Little bit more this weekend. Was going to paint the interior with leftover primer from the exterior, but ran out. How did I manage to miscalculate so badly??...

Anyway did some other work instead. Heres the footrest and fuel tank mount:
IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1710.JPG

Felt more natural to have the footrest lower than the floor will be just behind the frame and angled. Fuel tank is a low profile Moeller 12 gallon. Was significantly cheaper to by from the US, including the installation kit (hoses, vent, fill, clamps) than buying just the tank locally...

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:09 am

Hey Barr that is the same fuel tank that I bought to put in my Zip. When you get ready to hood up the fuel fill let me know as I found a ready made hose from NAPA, that I used with my deck filler fitting. It has 2 curves in it that work out perfect with the 30 or 45 degree filler I used. The other thing I did was, when I hooked up the vent hose I made a loop in it and attached it to the under side of the deck. I ran my hose to the motor up under the starboard side back to the motor. right where I could reach it under the dash to the side of the steering wheel I my inline primer bulb.
I like you foot rest. There is not a whole lot of leg room in these boats.
Jeff

Barra

Postby Barra » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:10 am

Hey Jeff,

Yep that tank seems to work well. I was hoping to put the deck fill in the port side margin board which would require a curved hose. Do you have the part number for that one? I will probably need to change the deck fill to an angled one though..

I've run PVC pipes down each side just inside the gunwales, definitely an idea I picked up from the forum. So plan to run the fuel down one side and electrical cables down the other. Battery will go on port side so makes sense to run electrical that side and fuel (and steering cable) down stud side.

Picking up more paint this week so hopefully crack on soon.

Cheers
Barra

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:08 am

The deck filler I used was a Seadog part number 351520 30 degree angle and 1 1/2 hose.
Got it a go2marine.com . It cost about $32.00.
Then I went to NAPA and and asked for a car gas filler hose that was angled. He brought out several and I bought a couple and one I used and the others I took back.
I placed my tank and got hoses to make the connection and that determined the location of the filler tube.
Mine is in my deck.
Jeff

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:21 am

Hey Barra,
Where did you buy the tank? any updates on the build?

Cheers
Mojo

Return to “Small outboards”