Flying Saucer Transom Cutout & Motorwell

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Wood Nut

Flying Saucer Transom Cutout & Motorwell

Post by Wood Nut » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Reposted from my build thread.

As I was cleaning up the workshop today (so that I can actually work in it) I have been thinking about the transom cutout and motorwell size. I plan on using a Mercury Mark 30 (30 HP 15" short shaft) on it but want to have enough clearance if I need to put a newer motor on it.

The transom cutout per the plans is about 12" wide. This seems a little narrow even for the Mark 30 as the control cables are on the side and may rube during a turn. What has others done for the transom cutout? I am thinking about 24" would be good.

According to the "Transom Motorwell Dimensions & Details" the recommended motorwell size is 22" deep x 33" wide x 6" min clamping. I am thinking about 18" deep x 33" wide by about 7" clamping area. 18" because of the available room between the transom and the back cockpit. 33" because I will more than likely need the clearance for steering (need to look at that closer). Also 33" would put the motorwell sides over the battens. 7" to miss any mounting holes for the motor. Any thoughts on this? What size have others done on a Zip or Flying Saucer? The motorwell dimensions do not have to be finalized until after the flip so I have plenty of time. Just trying to think ahead.

Thanks for any input.
Charlie K.
Building a Flying Saucer

galamb

Re: Flying Saucer Transom Cutout & Motorwell

Post by galamb » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Here is the factory specs from Merc for 25 thru 60 horse models.
Attachments
25-60 horse mounting requirements.jpg
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Wood Nut

Re: Flying Saucer Transom Cutout & Motorwell

Post by Wood Nut » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks Graham that helps.
Charlie K.
Building a Flying Saucer

Return to “Small outboards”