Decking

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

DaveNJ

Decking

Postby DaveNJ » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:23 pm

Hello,
I am interested in building one of the small outboards. I have not purchased the plans yet.

Do the plans cover how to build the alternating wood decking? How exactly is this done? Are the deck planks 1/4" x 2" and attached to a plywood backing with 1/8" spaces and then you fit in the thin strips between the planks?

The deck on the Squirt by Peter Weiss is really nice!
http://www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboard14/pic707b.html

If anyone has more information on this or can refer me to a book or website, I would appreciate it. Also, it probably is in the plans too?

thanks,
Dave

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:57 pm

This takes some work but in the end makes a better deck than buying plywood that is a thin veneer. You can use contrasting woods, and glue it on plywood. It takes some math and some space planning. I highly recomend that you use 1/4Luan for roughing in strips and save all your good woods till you get it figured out, if you have never done it before.

Your spacing can vary, and there are a lot of ways to deal with your clamping and getting the seams uniform. But this is the jest of it. Don't be concerned if your woods are not completely perfect in thickness, as when you are done, you can sand the seam compound down and wood at the same time.

capt jake

Postby capt jake » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 pm

No fair Oyster....you have to post the 'finished' pictures also! ;) :)

Dave Grason

Re: Decking

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:36 pm

DaveNJ wrote:If anyone has more information on this or can refer me to a book or website, I would appreciate it. Also, it probably is in the plans too?

The 2 most popular methods for achieving the look that you're after can be summed up by perusing Mark Bronkalla's site (www.bronkalla.com) and by viewing Graham Knight's build log in the Glen-L Customer's Photo section. Go to "Squirt" and scroll until you find Graham's name.

Bronk's method involves doing the decking very similar to what Oyster has described and using colored epoxy for the feature lines. Graham's method is the same except that he uses a very light colored wood for the same effect.

This type of pattern is not described in any of the boat plans that I know of and that's probably a good thing because this is where artistic expression runs free. The sky is the limit and whatever you want to do, you can.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

DaveNJ

thanks

Postby DaveNJ » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:05 am

Thanks for the replies.

Dave

Graham Knight

Postby Graham Knight » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:29 am

As previously mentioned it's not covered in the plans, but it sounds like you understand how it's done anyway, it's very easy and you certainly won't need a book, all the info you need is here in previous posts.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Return to “Small outboards”