Oliver IV in dry dock

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Roberta

Oliver IV in dry dock

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:46 pm

I was wondering what I would be doing this winter. I have decided to redo the deck, transom, and sides on my Zip. The bottom is perfect yet, so I will only be redoing the boat to the boot stripe. Not sure what stains I will be using, but I really like the way Bunman did his Riviera "Honey Do", so I may do that. I had some issues with stain sand through on my coverboards and I will be trying to do a better job on the filler on the repairs I made on the staple holes on the sides So I will be sanding right down to bare wood and completely refinishing. I plan on using Chris Craft filler stain on the sides and deck and the darker stain on the coverboards and kingplank like Bunman used. I will also be using Epifanes sealer and varnish. I liked the System Three WR-LPU and it is holding up very well, but I could not get a nice deep shine like I wanted. The bottom Mercer Green looks great and the lower gloss is actually nicer on the bottom.

I was surprised at how dark the sides got when I removed the hardware and the wood was so light under it.

Roberta :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

jeffh

Re: Oliver IV in dry dock

Postby jeffh » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Better you than me! This is the season of cleaning up my once neat garage. That boat is staying at the lake and our of my wallet :lol:
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:04 pm

I parked OBR on the all-season shelter I built for her this weekend. Winterized, all the upholstery removed (sorry mice) and ready for a good long 7 month break.

I still have to clean my garage from all the dust I made in the past 3 years.

I am a good 3 years away from redoing the paint/finish... scratches or not, so long as the fiberglass is protecting the wood she is a working boat and I've come to terms with the added 'character'.

I just wished I took a few more photo's of her 'done' before I got her wet.

Looks like Oliver IV will get a 2nd chance to look brand new... I look forward to drueling over the photos Roberta.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

billy c

Postby billy c » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:02 pm

...isn't it easier to just build another boat? :wink:
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Wow Roberta, I'm suprised you are doing this so soon, didnt notice any wear on your boat at G6. We are our own worst critics, thats for sure!!!! :D

I am particularly intersted in the darkening of the wood compared to where your cutwater was. On my sides I also noticed they are getting noticably darker each year so its somewhat comforting to know that I am not the only one. I was worried that the Supermarine clear of which I despise so much wasnt offering proper UV protection. I guess I wont worry too much about it.
I think youll like Epifanes clear and it will give you that nice warm deep shine you are looking for.

Chris

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:06 pm

After stripping one side of clearcoat today, you might be right, Billy!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: It is going to be a rough week or two before things get a little easier. I have to be careful not to damage or gouge the wood and not wreck the boot line. Should be OK though.

Hey Chris, it wasn't the wear or the finish degrading. I just was never happy with a lot of small errors in my workmanship, overall. I have a lot of staple holes that were filled in and the color match was bad. As the sides darkened, the filler in the holes did not and were becoming even more pronounced. There is some ghosting in the finish I can't explain, and the areas where I sanded through the stain did not look all that great. I kinda rushed the finish to be done for G5, so now I have the time to try and do it right and correct some bad spots.

Roberta (God, I'm tired!!!)

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Did you lift the boat off the trailer with something or did you use the trick of tilting the trailer tongue down and blocking under the stern then tilting it up and blocking under the bow?

billy c

Postby billy c » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:26 pm

sounds like you are well on your way to the refinish. :)
i know that System 3 finish is pretty tough. i do agree that you have to have the right stain and filler under it as it is much more fussy than an oil base clear. learned that the hard way thru doing wood floors with water base poly :shock: the white cast given off by the water base has to be accounted for in the process as it does not get the nice amber that you get when applying Epifanes and the two pack finishes like Perfection.
...hoping to add a few more coats on mine in the offseason too :roll:
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:13 am

Some how I'll manage through this. More sanding, though!!! YUCK!!!

I used my engine crane to lift the aft end up by the tow hooks, slid the boat back far enough off the trailer to get the blocks under the aft end, raised the tongue up to lower the aft end of the boat onto the blocks, re-positioned the crane to the bow handle to raise the bow off the trailer, pulled the trailer out far enough to get the front block under the keel, lowered the boat onto the block, then finally pull the trailer and crane away. It was a bit of the balancing act as the crane and trailer needed to be jockey'd about to avoid conflicting positions.

Roberta :D

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:48 am

I can still see the shape of the hull on your shop floor. 8)

Are you reglassing the sides?! :shock:
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:35 am

The sides above the waterline were never glassed, just resin coated. I will not be resin coating again once I hit bare wood. I'll be filler staining, sealing and varnishing with Epifanes.

Roberta :D

Bill CNC

Postby Bill CNC » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:18 am

vupilot wrote:
On my sides I also noticed they are getting noticably darker each year so its somewhat comforting to know that I am not the only one. I was worried that the Supermarine clear of which I despise so much wasnt offering proper UV protection. I guess I wont worry too much about it.
Chris

Chris,

If the UV inhibitors weren't protecting the wood like they should be, .. wouldn't the wood be bleached lighter not darker?
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 am

I dont know Bill. I just wondered why and now its got me even more curious. Makes me wonder how dark it will get.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:30 am

I know epoxy resin gets darker with age in the bottles. I wonder if it gets darker after it cures? What's curious is the deck did not do that. The color is the same under items I removed. I did put a lot more epoxy on the sides, so maybe that explains the difference, it just got darker due to aging. The wood species is also different, deck is dark red Philippine and the sides are African.

Roberta :? :? :?

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:24 pm

My hull has gotten a bit darker from the limited exposure it's had outside this summer. I store it in a covered shed between outings, and I noticed the Meranti ply I used as well as the Sapelle I used darkened, slightly.

Might be the layer of road dust as well ;)

I used 7oz cloth on everything and a good number of epoxy coats, probably 5 or 6 in the end. I've heard epoxy will 'amber' over time, even under a clear coat, so it wasn't unexpected or uninvited, I don't mind it going darker.

One of the reasons I used the same material on the sides & the deck was to keep the 'aging' effect consisitent if possible.
Last edited by Iggy on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Return to “Small outboards”