Oliver IV in dry dock

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Riff

Re: Oliver IV in dry dock

Postby Riff » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Looks great Roberta :D
Kurt

My build, hopefully a tribute in remembrance of my grandfather Jon.
http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26502

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Thank you!!!! Just put the 11th coat of Epifanes on today. Number 12 tomorrow, then sand, then 4 more coats. After the 16th coat I will be switching from Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss to Epifanes Clear High Gloss for the last 6 coats. Since the Wood Finish does not require sanding between every coat, I can build up, then long board and scuff every four coats. The Clear High Gloss requires sanding between every coat. The long boarding really helps level the paint and it is looking really good. 22 coats should be really nice.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill CNC

Postby Bill CNC » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Roberta Hegy wrote:22 coats should be really nice.

As long as a 1/4" thick chip doesn't come off when it gets dinged. :shock: :wink: But I guess your bringing a hole new meaning of "Water proof" to another level. 8)
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

billy c

Postby billy c » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:05 pm

hi Roberta-
bet it is really coming out nice. :D i have not ever used Epifanes but it surely is tempting to try on one of my refinish jobs. went to their website Q&A. they were saying 7 to 10 coats for a show finish. was wondering if 22 would harden properly? ...or maybe with the "leveling" you really were at about 10 coats?
http://www.epifanes.com/qanda.htm
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks, Billy!! I'm putting on really thin coats and the long boarding takes about half of it off. I was told twelve coats for a really good finish, so in reality, I will wind up with about twelve. For the entire project, I'm using 6 liters of the Wood Finish and two liters of the Clear Gloss. So when you do the math, I'm getting about three coats over the deck, sides and transom out of each liter of product. That fact and the leveling of the paint is not going to lead to excessive thickness. As far as hardening, The product is sanding very nicely without any gum-balling. I give the coats at least 24 hrs to dry before the next coat goes on and I wait two days before leveling and sanding. The final 6 coats will be wet sanded between each coat. I'm keeping my hangar heated at 70 deg F during this project to make sure the Epifanes thoroughly hardens up. So the bottom line is, I'm pouring more of myself and my sweat over this project than varnish. But the results are really showing. Each coat and each leveling brings the finish closer to that perfect "foot deep shine".

This is 11 coats with boarding and sanding every 4 coats.

Rich is holding an Epifanes can above the coverboard.

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:56 pm

It looks great Roberta, but heck, I thought it was awesome before. You will be so unimpressed by my boat when you see it up close. :oops:

Question about traditional varnish: The labor comittment required to get the initial finish is considerable--22 coats over the course of several weeks... It's like a buddhist test of patience or something. :shock:

What is the maintenance schedule like? Do you have to tear down the boat every season to relive this process? Do you strip it each time? Maybe you just sand the outer coats and replace them? I'm curious about what it means to live with a tradition finish like that. I know it's stunning when done right, but wow!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:53 am

WOW! you will have people lining up outside your hangar to get their boats finished! 8)
great job Roberta and again thanks for all the pictures and instruction.
-Billy :D
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:29 am

Thanks, guys!!! After all this work, I'll likely not be availing myself to do other boats. I have enough of my own work to keep me busy for a lifetime. As far as maintenance, it won't be any worse than any other finish. Environment dictates how often the finish needs to be refreshed. I'm expecting every 4 or 5 years to refresh which should only be a light sanding and 2 or 3 coats. I'm burying the gold leaf lettering under about 5 coats so I won't need to replace those every time I refresh the finish. What made this redo so hard was the fact that I needed to get to bare wood to repair color issues and smooth things out.

Roberta :D :D :D

Buckeyesmith

Postby Buckeyesmith » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:40 am

Roberta is spot on about the varnish maintenance. It all depends on exposure and the level of quality you want to maintain. I have used Epifanes for over 20 years; under the year round blistering sun of the Caribbean, half year exposures in Mass., and now completely sheltered in FL. My finish on my Zip is over two years old and looks like the day I put the final coat on - except for a few light scratches (more on these later). While in the Caribbean I would lightly sand and put two new coats on annually. In MA. my boat was in the water 5-6 months without any cover. I would need to do a couple of maintenance coats every other year. And now, where my boat is stored inside I agree with Roberta, about every 5 years.

About those scratches - as long as they don't go through to the wood it's your call. Sometimes the repair of a light ding or scratch looks worse than the ding/scratch. Other times I have been able to blend a repair perfectly. I have found the beauty of these boats make even the builder forget about the small stuff. I have many times used a wax/cleaner to clean and mostly hide light scratches. However, if the damage goes to the wood it is important to reseal it as soon as you are sure the wood is completely dry. I have known people who have carried a nail polish bottle of varnish to immediatly touch up dings.

Unlike Roberta, I so enjoy varnishing that I have done it for hire - and I work for beer!
My Webalbum: http://picasaweb.google.com/Buckeyesmith1/Gem#

The best part about a manual screwdriver is not needing to remember if you left it in reverse.

Completion is but one step in the process and not one bit more important than the others.

keithhills

Postby keithhills » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Roberta
What timber did you use for your cover boards and would you use it again?
It looks like a really nice contrast to the plywood.
Did you put any stain in the epifanes or just go strait on over the epoxy?
Did you epoxy seal the deck and cover boards when you built the boat?
As you can tell I am nearing this stage with my build and have been wondering about what finish I should put on.
I have a really bad join in the plywood hull sides which I had to fill with epoxy filler before fibreglassing. I was going to put a s/s strip over them to make a feature but was reading a Chris Craft magazine recently that was talking about finishing off a plywood boat with a layer of mahogany vaneer. A bit radical, but have you ever heard of anyone doing this?
Have a great day 8)
Calm Spirit

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Keith, my entire boat is veneer over plywood except the bottom. The boat was built using 1/4" Okoume plywood as it would normally be built per the plans. The bottom was fiber glassed to the water line and 1/8" X 3" African mahogany planking was epoxied to the side planking using staples to hold the planks during curing.Staples were removed and holes filled in with Famowood filler. 3/8" Philippine mahogany was used on the deck over the 1/4" Okoume. The 3/8" decking was epoxied and screwed down and screw holes plugged. Originally I had epoxy resin on the sides and deck and stained the cover boards with dark mahogany stain, leaving the sides and deck boards natural. I used System Three WR-LPU clear gloss to finish the bright wood. In my re-do, I sanded back to bare wood, stained the sides and deck boards with Chris Craft red filler stain and the cover boards with dark walnut filler stain. Then the sides and deck were sealed with Pettit 2018 sealer. I am using Epifanes varnish over the stained and sealed wood. No epoxy was used in the re-do, but the original epoxy and fiberglass still remains in great condition on the bottom to the water line. I used System Three Yacht primer and WR-LPU Mercer Green on the bottom over the fiberglass.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Hurray!!! The finishing is finally done and we will be putting all the bling back on starting tomorrow. Here is how I finished the boat.

Sanded back to bare wood using 50 grit and half sheet RO finishing sander.
Sanded to 100 grit, RO sander.
Stained using Chris Craft red and dark mahogany filler stain. Let sit for 5 days.
Three coats of Pettit 2018 sealer.
Sanded with RA sander to 220.
Four coats Epifanes Woodfinish Gloss. One day drying time between coats. No sanding between coats.
Longboard sanded with 240 grit, then scuff with scotch brite grey. Clean with Denatured Alcohol.
Four coats Epifanes Woodfinish Gloss. One day drying time between coats. No sanding between coats.
Longboard sanded with 240 grit, then scuff with scotch brite. Clean with Denatured Alcohol.
Longboard sanded with 240 grit, then scuff with scotch brite. Clean with Denatured Alcohol.
Three coats Epifanes Woodfinish Gloss. One day drying time between coats. No sanding between coats.
Three coats Epifanes Clear High Gloss Varnish.
Longboard sanded with 400 grit, then scuff with scotch brite between each coat. Clean with Denatured Alcohol.
Left harden for two weeks.
Block sand with 2000 wet, deck only.
Sand using 3000 grit 3M Trizact foam discs wet on 6" RO air sander, deck, transom, and sides.
Sand using 5000 grit 3M Trizact foam discs wet on RO sander.
Compound with 3M Perfection II White foam buffer.
Polish with 3M Perfection II polish Black Foam buffer.
Polish with 3M Perfection II Ultrafine Polish Blue Foam buffer.
Hand Glaze with 3M Glaze.
Hand Wax with Carnaba Wax.

PHEW!!! Glad that's over with.

Roberta :D :D :D :D

I'll post more pics when it's all back together.
Attachments
Finishing work done 001.jpg
Last edited by Roberta on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:08 pm

One thing I forgot to mention was the reason for block sanding the deck and not the sides and transom before buffing. I needed to knock down some tiny nibs in the paint and remove dust that klings to the flat surfaces (hard to stop that in a hangar). The sanding was limited to the nibs and dust and barely broke the surface of the last coat. The Epifanes was very nice without the buffing, but the buffing got rid of the nibs and dust particles and just evened things out nicely.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Sock Monkey thinks the shine is at least a foot deep.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Attachments
Sock Monkey 001.jpg

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Good lord, I'm exhausted just reading that. I envy your patience and committment Roberta. Your reward is a breathtaking boat! :shock:

Mine will look like a laudry list of 'short-cuts' and 'that will do' occasions by comparison. Hopefully, I'll still like mine when it's sitting next to yours. I'm thinking that I will. :wink:

I smile every time I walk into the garage--not because of my stunning boat, but because I built it. You get to enjoy both sensations! :D
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Return to “Small outboards”