Converting Tiller Handle Throttle

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

HouTexBBC

Converting Tiller Handle Throttle

Postby HouTexBBC » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:20 am

I have built the Tiny Titan, mostly. I have not finished painting because I can't decide on color. Anyway, I want to run a 15hp on it and for reasons of economy I must go with a used engine. I have found lots of used 15hp's but all are tiller handle steer and throttle. The steering is not an issue as I intend to use exposed cable, but I am not sure how difficult it is to tie in the throttle. I want to use a deadman throttle.

Does anyone have any experience with converting the throttle in this way?

Thanks,
Dennis

John K

Postby John K » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:40 am

On the Evinrude and Johnson the conversion is easy. Most of the motors 70's and up have the brackets for the gas and shift already mounted on the motor. The Merc's need internal parts and depending on the year, you may not find the parts.

As for the dead man switch, most motors have a cutoff switch already on the motor. You would have to connect to it, extend the electrical cables to the dead man switch. There are seveal types of deadman switches!

HouTexBBC

Postby HouTexBBC » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:28 am

Thanks John. Good info and good news too. Sounds easy.

I would say that the majority of the engines I have seen for sale are OMC so I'll plan on going with that over Mercurey.

Dennis

Steve Miller

Postby Steve Miller » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:11 am

I just converted an Evinrude 1982 9.9 to remote steering and throttle, gear shift controls. All the parts, brackets and so on are still readily available at the local Evinrude dealer. The actual conversion was easy but I did have to move the kill switch since the throttle cable uses the same hole. Not a big deal since the kit came with the parts and all I had to do was enlarge an existing hole elsewhere on the motor. The instructions in the kit laid it all out with photos etc.

The gear shift and throttle connections at the motor end took maybe a hour to convert. It would take 20 minutes for a second motor now that I have done it once. Hooking up the controls once I had the right cables and adapter connectors was also a piece of cake. Steering took a bit longer since I used a rack system, single push pull cable arrangement. I did the steering first since the motor had to mount over the cable end connector tube piece.

The whole process was far easier than I ever imagined it to be. Just be sure to test run the boat motor at home to check for idle and shifting and so on before you get on the water. I did have to adjust the idle setting on my motor but that is easier than adjusting the cable since the motor has an idle adjustment on the cowling.

HouTexBBC

Postby HouTexBBC » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:52 am

Thanks Steve. I was really afraid this was something impossible or extrememly difficult but it looks like this won't be much of an obstacle. All I have to do now is scrounge up the money for the motor, the kit, the steering controls and the throttle :) .

Once I get all that, I may give you and John a shout for guidance.

Dennis

V8BoatBuilder

Postby V8BoatBuilder » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:50 pm

Hello,

I purchased a 1999 Tohatsu 18hp Tiller Steer and converted it to full remote control back in 2001 when I built my Powerskiff, as it was a rare engine and perfect for my boat.

All parts to convert the motor were ordered from my local dealer, they were skeptical at first but ended up being very helpful in the conversion. An "American" Motor such as an OMC or Mercury will be easier to locate parts for.

However, I do not feel I saved much money converting the engine. I needed a short shaft, electric start and remote. Few were made, none were available used. When I found and electric start short shaft with about 20 hours and 1 season of use, I paid about $1,100 for it. New, rigged with remote, the motors cost upwards of $2,000.

To convert it to remote, I spent close to $400 in parts including a the remote shift box, which was the most expensive part at $150. However, I was able to get the exact parts I wanted (binnacle mount shift vs std side mount) and provide sensors for tach and water temp, as well as add remote choke, deadmans switch, etc.

All in all, I'm glad I converted the motor myself because I learned a lot about how the motor's systems work, and did save money, even if it wasn't that much.

For your conversion, think about all your options. Think about starting the engine, is it electric start already or will you be pull-starting it? If you electric start the engine, do you need remote choke capability?

My best advice is to price out your conversion parts before you get too deep.

-Aaron
2001 14' Glen-L Powerskiff, heavily modified. See photos at http://www.helddesigns.com

http://www.OctopusYachts.com/ Octopus Yachts, LLC: Engineered Marine Electrical Systems and Yacht Service

Lake Bum

Outboard Controls on Older Johnson (50's vintage)

Postby Lake Bum » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:05 pm

I have noticed several 1950's era 5-7.5 hp Johnson outboards w/tiller handles on ebay at reasonable prices. My question is this, does anyone have experience with switching motors from this era to remote control? What type of cost? I've seen posts mentioning mid 70's motors, but nothing back to the 50's. Thank you.

Graham Knight

Postby Graham Knight » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:59 am

I converted my '58 Johnson 18hp, it was very easy and cheap too. I bought an old Quicksilver remote on eBay for a few dollars and rebuilt it, bought the cables new from a local OMC dealer, and I made the bracket that the steering cables connect to as I couldn't find one at the time. Total cost must have been around US$75-80
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Lake Bum

Postby Lake Bum » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:38 pm

Thanks Graham, sounds relatively simple.

Evansjoe

Re: Converting Tiller Handle Throttle

Postby Evansjoe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Can you send me a list of the items you bought to convert it. Part numbers please

Evansjoe

Re:

Postby Evansjoe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Steve Miller wrote:I just converted an Evinrude 1982 9.9 to remote steering and throttle, gear shift controls. All the parts, brackets and so on are still readily available at the local Evinrude dealer. The actual conversion was easy but I did have to move the kill switch since the throttle cable uses the same hole. Not a big deal since the kit came with the parts and all I had to do was enlarge an existing hole elsewhere on the motor. The instructions in the kit laid it all out with photos etc.

The gear shift and throttle connections at the motor end took maybe a hour to convert. It would take 20 minutes for a second motor now that I have done it once. Hooking up the controls once I had the right cables and adapter connectors was also a piece of cake. Steering took a bit longer since I used a rack system, single push pull cable arrangement. I did the steering first since the motor had to mount over the cable end connector tube piece.

The whole process was far easier than I ever imagined it to be. Just be sure to test run the boat motor at home to check for idle and shifting and so on before you get on the water. I did have to adjust the idle setting on my motor but that is easier than adjusting the cable since the motor has an idle adjustment on the cowling.
I have a 1985 15hp Evinrude I wAnt to convert to a steering wheel. What parts or part numbers do I need to do it. Throttle and drive controls, steering equipment?

Return to “Small outboards”