Bullet vs. Tuffy

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

justagp

Bullet vs. Tuffy

Postby justagp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:25 am

Hi folks,
I haven't even built a boat yet and I think I'm already suffering from "footitis".
I've been comparing the Bullet (that I'd build at the 12'1" length) to the Tuffy (13'1").
I'm a bit surprised at the projected weight difference in the two boats since the Tuffy is said to weigh twice as much with the extra foot of length, 6 inches of beam and more freeboard.
I like the idea of having a boat that can carry the whole family in a pinch, but I wonder if the Tuffy would still be able to pull my kids on a tube/skis if powered by my 1985 Mercury 35hp.
Any Tuffy owners out there who can comment on how they've powered their boat and what was the result?
I would appreciate any comments/suggestions about the relative merits of the two designs given that I'm going to limit myself to the 35hp motor.
Thanks,
Max

Lowka53

Re: Bullet vs. Tuffy

Postby Lowka53 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 pm

:lol: well when i was a kid is skied behind a boat using a 25 hp scott motor so should be possible unless they are adults :lol: but we did get adult up even with it if they wasn't over weight :wink:and the boat was in the 13 foot range and the tuffy is a planing boat you might not pull them as fast but you can do it.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:05 am

If it were me I would be building the bullet. It's a purpose built ski boat versus one that could be used for it, and the deeper vee would make a larger wake for whoever is getting towed around. In addition, the 35hp will do a lot more with around half the weight being pushed by it. Given it's your first build, the Bullet is a better starting point in that it'll be an easier boat to build and the finished project will probably come out better.

The Tuffy is a really nice boat, but you may be better off seeing how this one comes out and then building a 14'5" (10% stretched) version of it with say a 50hp motor on it.

justagp

Postby justagp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. I've abandoned the Bullet and Tuffy in favour of building a Minimaxed with my kids first, to get some modicum of familiarity with the wood, fiberglass, adhesives and tools. Next I'm going to build a stretched Flying Saucer for use with my Merc 35. I've fallen in love with the tiny twin-cockpit runabout style.

We're just getting started on the Minimaxed now. I'll post some pics in a separate topic as we get moving. In preparation for building the FS, I've bought a few board feet of lovely African mahogany to get a feel for working with the stuff. I think I'll be able to use the jointer I've bought to finish most of the pieces. I'm wondering if I should be looking for a planer when it comes to the FS build...

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:11 pm

It sounds like our builds will be very similar. I just bought the first of my building materials (besides a donor boat/trailer) for my stretched FS build. I'll be building one nearly identical to what Rocker made (go to youtube and search for "Homemade Wood Boat" and watch) and powering it with a 35hp Chrysler.

Luke5311

Postby Luke5311 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:43 am

Just starting my bullet boat I want to start small first! Then if I like my build , will move on to a bigger boat.

Plans in hand.
Glue,, screws, cloth, glass
Looking for the wood.
Last edited by Luke5311 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ronb172

Postby Ronb172 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:49 am

Rod, when you were a kid?? Who was driving the boat, Noah??
Squirt almost ready to get wet
Building my third SUP.
Started the Topper build.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:37 pm

:lol: naw it was Adam my family have this thing about living to a old age :lol: my grandfather was born in the 1800's :shock: he was 80 when my parents married and lived until I was in my teens :evil:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Return to “Small outboards”