Australian Zip

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

keithhills

Australian Zip

Post by keithhills » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 am

It is a long time since I did a post so thought I would do a quick catch up.
I righted the hull about 2 months ago and have been doing the top sides fairly consistently since. You will see from the photos that my layout is very different from the normal as I want maximum internal space with as much floor as possible because the boat is going to be used as a tender for a larger vessel to carry people and baggage. The plan is to install a new Honda 50hp 4 stroke engine, which is a bit heavy but has plenty of grunt and is whisper quiet. Readers might remember that the transom is also very different because I have an overall length issue (hope it works).
Currently I am epoxy filling the forward curved seat and transom area before painting, which takes a lot of time sanding & filling, but nearly there. Next I will be cutting the hatches in the aft seat and finishing off this area before painting. The side panels will be upholstered with Ultra leather after I get the deck on and velcro fitted into place. The seats are really swish, made from stainless steel and upholstered with ultraleather and will hold the joy stick control for steering, which will be very different. I will be using a Baystar hydraulic steering ram connected to a hydraulic pump with solenoid controls. My only concern is that it will be too quick, but I can put a restrictor in the line to slow it down.
I think I will be doing the wiring and fuel lines next week after I get the undercoat on.
Getting close, but won't make it for Christmas, which I was hoping for. I think polishing is going to be a big effort and very time consuming.
If anyone can see any problems I would love to hear from you. Better to fix a problem now than after the boat is finished.
Attachments
IMG_0523.JPG
IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0496.jpg
Calm Spirit

keithhills

Re: Australian Zip

Post by keithhills » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:35 am

Some more photos.
Attachments
Carlings and aft seat in place
Carlings and aft seat in place
Floor, fuel tanks and seats installed, side panels temp in place
Floor, fuel tanks and seats installed, side panels temp in place
Transom nearing completion
Transom nearing completion
Calm Spirit

keithhills

Post by keithhills » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:55 am

:D More photos, this time showing the anchor well and dash arrangement with the curved bow seat under construction.
Attachments
Dash & bow seat
Dash & bow seat
Anchor well
Anchor well
Calm Spirit

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:15 am

Wow, that is a very unique and nicely built Zip

jprice

Post by jprice » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:58 am

Very cool!
I really like how you did the transom. I've been thinking of something similar, and you've helped me visualize it better.
Keep posting pics of the progress! :)

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:11 am

Definately different. I am guessing you are going to keep the fore deck very shallow to allow for more seating? Your rear transom layout is a bit of a mystery to me, are you making rear-facing seats beside the outboard? Why did you decide to move the outboard inward instead of leaving the transom flush? Wouldn't moving the outboard's locate futhre foreward actually reduce the seating space inside?

A 50 HP 4-Stroke is going to be heavy on the stern, and your ZIP will sit lower on the water than you might like. Moving the tanks forward should help, but its still going to sit deeper in the water and when the wake catches up with your transom after you slow down, whatever is hanging off the rear of the transom is going to get wet.

I'd be inclined to use a smaller outboard, big enough to get the ZIP on plane but not so heavy as a 50 HP 4-Stroke. Unless you plan on pulling a water skiier or tube or something, I might opt for a 30 or 40 2-Stroke.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Paul Kinneberg

Post by Paul Kinneberg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:02 pm

I am looking at the Honda 4 stroke 50hp for my skiff at 214 lbs it seemed light for a 4 stroke to me what would a two stroke weigh? FYI the 40hp Honda weighs in at 214 lbs as well and the 30hp is 155 lbs

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Wait a minute... I see it now... you made build-outs to extend beyond the transom so you wouldn't loose any interior space.

I am betting that extended length will add more buoyancy to the stern to offset the engine weight.

I see what you did there... clever... now I can't wait to see how it looks on the water.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

keithhills

Post by keithhills » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:11 am

We have chosen the 50hp because we want to be able to pull wakeboarders out. Our current 40hp won't do that any more because the sons in law are getting to big.
I don't think the weight will be a problem with the pods on each side. The only problem has been the turn on the engine at full lock and the space it takes. I have had to modify the shape at the back to accommodate that and I will be mounting slightly lower to that the fin will go under the hull on full lock.
The engine well is smaller than recommended to gain internal space, but big enough to tilt the engine so that the prop is level with the bottom of the boat for mounting on the mother ship. This zip will not be trailered so does not have to tilt all the way up. Of course, I won't know for absolute sure that all this theory will work until I get rash and actually buy the engine. At close to $10,000 for engine and controls I will be delaying that until the last moment.
The other interesting part of the transom is the walkways that I have on each side of the engine. I will be buying an Armstrong 3 step ladder that will be mounting onto the transom just above water level for when we are diving or skiing to get back into the boat and then access to the walkway by removing an infill which I have just finished making. Hopefully this will stop any water that attacks the transom on a slow down, but if it does get wet it really does not matter very much because all this area will be sealed and there is a bilge pump in each pod.
It is a bit different, but then that is why we build our own boats.
Have a great weekend
Attachments
TRANSOM WITHOUT INFILL
TRANSOM WITHOUT INFILL
Calm Spirit

keithhills

Post by keithhills » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:03 am

It has taken me ages to figure out how to reduce the size of the avitar enough to make it work but this is the boat that my zip will be mounted on, on the boarding platform.
Calm Spirit

Return to “Small outboards”