A Few Questions About SQUIRT

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

hakanzorlu

A Few Questions About SQUIRT

Post by hakanzorlu »

Hi All,

I've just ordered my Squirt plans I'm looking forward to see the postman knocking on my door for the delivery. My Squirt will be the tender boat of my 37 feet classic wooden sailboat. (Dick Carter Design)

My questions are;

1- How coul'd I extend my boat 10%? As I'm 1.92cm (6'4"). As I know these patterns are full size patterns so I don't know the method to extend it.

2- I'm not planing to paint my boat, by varnishing i'd like to keep the mahagoni wood look. Does epoxy clothing changes the wood apperance? Or is it transparent?
For example are these parts on the pictures below are clothened and epoxied? or just varnished over plain plywood. Also are the white lines made by white sikamastic?

Image Image

3- Due to government tax laws in Turkiye all the sea vehicles who has a engine power more than 9.9 has to pay tax. So I'm planing to buy a 2 stroke (because more light in weight) 9.9 outboard. As I'm 93 kgs (abt 205 lb) how much speed could i reach?

Thanks for all.

Hakan

***(Editing the post 4.4.2007) I've decided to paint it instead of varnish:)
Last edited by hakanzorlu on Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Squirt Builder
My Squirt Project Site: http://www.zorlu.org/squirt

http://www.basarisigorta.com.tr

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

I cannot answer all your questions but I can talk about question number 2. And the answer is "Yes." The epoxy "clothing" will slightly obscure the grain of the wood making it appear cloudy. However, you can use epoxy to seal and protect the wood without using the cloth. Then, when the epoxy has completely dried, sand it with about 220 grit paper and start applying your varnish for a beautiful look. I can't say how the boat in your first photo was done but the 2nd photo that you posted is of Graham's Squirt. He did NOT use cloth that I know of.

Also, his white lines were made using another species of wood ripped into fine strips with a color that provides a nice contrast to the dark mahogany.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Dave is right about the way my decking was done, I used 3mm thick Mahogany planks glued to the 6mm ply base, with 5mm wide Ramin strips for the "caulking". There is no fibreglass on the deck, just Epifanes varnish.

The question about stretching boats has been asked and answered here dozens of times, most recently just a few days ago with respect to the Squirt, but I'll go through it again!

Glen-L don't recommend extending the stem for some reason, I did extend my stem before I noticed the note that said not to! It worked out fine though and I can see no reason not to do it.

To extend the boat you have to re-space the frames proportionally, this is simple, just measure the distance between the transom and frame #1, and frame #1 and frame #2, and multiply each by 110%, this gives you the new frame spacing and results in a boat approx 10' 8" long.

If you want to go to the full 11' then you need to extend the stem piece too, multiply its length by 110% and add the extra bit (approx 4") to the back.

With a 10hp motor, with just you on board, I'd guess you might get 20mph maybe? I get 33mph with an 18hp.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

RickVJP

Post by RickVJP »

Hello hakanzorlu

My info may not be the greatest but I can tell you what i have seen from a place i use to work at.

You are asking about the epoxy and cloth on a no painted boat. You can see the hull of the boat and the grain quite nicely when it is just epoxy/cloth over the plywood grain. this is a big but The kind of epoxy you use will make all the difference as well in how clear the coating is. I can not tell you what brand is the best or what kind was used because we took the epoxy out of a barrel that did not have the name brand on and i never really tried to look to see what banned it was.

As you will guess though the clearer the epoxy is the more money it will cost.

When I’m done that stage i guess i will find out how clear the one i bought is. Till then i really can only give you info on what I have seen.

terrymc

Post by terrymc »

Yes, it is very possible to get a nice clear finish using glass cloth over wood. It does require the right type of epoxy, and it is a lot of work. There are several descriptions of how it is done on this site. Here's a link to a close-up picture of the side of my Squirt:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/trmamm/de ... pg&.src=ph

I used 8-oz glass cloth over 1-mm Costa Rica mahogony veneer. 5 coats of epoxy over the glass cloth to fill the weave, then sanding with 80-grit, 150 grit, and 220 grit to get a good surface. Then 5 additional coats of a good quality spar varnish, and sanding with 550, and (wet) 1200 and 1500 grit until the surface is clear. Then rubbing compond and an automotive buffer to get it to really shine.

Doing the "brigth finish" hull seriously added a year to the construction time of my boat, but I think the results are worth it.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Terry McIntyre
Morgan HIll, CA

hakanzorlu

Post by hakanzorlu »

I want to thank all of you (Dave, Graham, Rick & Terry) and must say I'm really surprised how; so much people are interested in answering and loving Squirt. I realised that I'm on right project as Squirt is a beautiful and the most pretty small runabaout I have ever seen in my life

As soon as I start my poject wait for my further questions:). I will be in need of your advices, proffession and experience.
Also be sure that I'm going to share my step by step builging photographs with all.

Thanks

Hakan
Last edited by hakanzorlu on Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squirt Builder

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

We give autographs too!

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman »

graham, random question, how many boats have you built? juding from your level of expertise id guess a rather alrge number...where do you find the time!

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Some of us have actually been thinking about banning Graham from the forum because he outshines us so bad that we look like amatuers.

Wait........WE ARE AMATUERS!

Ok, he can stay then. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

how many boats have you built?
Not that many really, I built a small sailing dinghy of my own design many years ago, more recently I built the Squirt and my Acorn Skiff, I restored a 50 year old boat last year, and have just started on my new river launch.

I've also built quite a few model boats which employ exactly the same materials and building methods as the full-size.

And in my job I work with all the materials and methods we use for boatbuilding on a daily basis, it's a requirement of my job that I can build pretty much anything, boats are relatively easy compared to some of the things I've had to build.

hakanzorlu

Post by hakanzorlu »

Dear expert Graham what is your profession on business?

Hakan
Squirt Builder

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Oh please, not an expert! People expect so much of you when you are known as an expert!

My job is as a model and prop-maker for films and TV, I also make product prototypes, exhibition displays, furniture, and pretty much anything else that I'm asked to.
When someone needs something special made to order, something that can't be obtained otherwise, I'm the sort of person they come to.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Graham, that was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job back when I sold fiberglas and resin...there were some companies in Vermont that specialized in props and marketing materials...Huge burgers, clowns, spheres...really neat stuff...it was fun just to walk through their production facility to see what they were dreaming up next !!!

Steve

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Graham Knight wrote:Oh please, not an expert! ....

.....When someone needs something special made to order, something that can't be obtained otherwise, I'm the sort of person they come to.
But that sort of makes you an expert. -doesn't it?

Smith Brother

Post by Smith Brother »

I have often stated that an expert is ONE THAT USES YOUR WATCH TO TELL YOU WHAT TIME IT IS, well there is an EXCEPTION TO EVERY RULE, and this one fits. Graham DOESN'T NEED OUR WATCHES TO TELL US WHAT TIME IT IS, he is his own person.

Graham, if you don't like EXPERT, then how about, A VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE PERSON who too tries to be a straight shooter?

Good job my friend,

Dale :)
Indy
I AM ALWAYS DOING THAT WHICH I CANNOT DO, IN ORDER TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT. ~ Pablo Picasso 1881 - 1973

Return to “Small outboards”