Skegs Fiberglass or not?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

dioxinman52

Skegs Fiberglass or not?

Post by dioxinman52 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:24 pm

Who fiberglass covers skegs and who just paints them?

Seems like fiberglassing would add abrasion resistance and some resistance to breaking.

What's the consensus?
My day job: Associate Professor of Pharmacology. US Army Reserve Civil Affairs Officer

Bill Edmundson

Re: Skegs Fiberglass or not?

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:41 pm

On my Tahoe I made the skeg from solid vynle. On the Bartender, that I'm doing now, I'm using oak and no fiberglass. But, I'm going to put a SS rub over it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:36 pm

I did not fiberglass the skeg. 3 years later the paint on the skeg is not even scratched. It appears I saved the hassle of trying to smoothly lay fiberglass around such a small contoured piece without any ill effects.

dioxinman52

Post by dioxinman52 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:19 pm

I think I'll just paint it and be careful then
My day job: Associate Professor of Pharmacology. US Army Reserve Civil Affairs Officer

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:51 pm

I fiberglassed my skeg, it was a bit of a pain in the arse but nothing major. Honestly my boat has not touched bottom yet on anything so far (knock wood), the skeg hasn't even touched the boat trailer bunks.

Almost all my 'wear' is on the sides of my boat, from stupid boat docks!
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Our Zip's skeg is made from mahogany and encapsulated with epoxy. We don't beach the boat, so no problems after four years of running. I figure that if it should sustain some damage, fiberglassing it would make it that much harder to remove and replace.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:00 am

I was thinking about making a skeg for a fresh water boat out of a section of aluminum I beam. The plans call for a skeg of wood mounted along straight length of the hull center line from about the mid point to near the shaft support. I was going to cut off one of the flat sections to make a "T" shaped cross section out of the original "I" shaped cross section. I would through bolt it to the hull by drilling holes through the remaining flat section of the I beam and cut and file the fin to the desired shape. I thought that this type of skeg would be durable, it would not rot, or need to be painted. Does anybody see any down side to making a skeg this way?

Thanks

Muellerd

Post by Muellerd » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:38 am

I would think fiberglassing the skeg and hull together at the same time would be difficult. Maybe fiberglass the hull then the skeg and attach to the hull as two seperate fiberglassed pieces?
I too will be faced with this scenario soon.
It's Just Wood and Nails...

Current Build -- Sabotina

Return to “Small outboards”