Flying saucer

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Overseer

Flying saucer

Post by Overseer »

Hi there I'm new to the list and have just got the plans and just cut the ribs out and are now starting to build. My goal is to build a runabout that will be use as a dinghy for my m/v Country Lore. I do have several questions. First I want two cockpits for seating as this dinghy will be use to go to shore and well be beached a lot. The little dog needs to go to shore twice a day. My first question is I want to leave an open walk way between the two seats. I'm rather large and it would be hard to climb over the top. Since I will not have the frame on top will that cause the boat to be weak or is there some way I can keep the strength and still leave that upper rib out? I also see that a lot of the flying saucers have added more stringers on the bottom. Two on each side rather then one one each side of the keel.
Thanks for any help
Overseer

Andy Garrett

Re: Flying saucer

Post by Andy Garrett »

Reply below.
Last edited by Andy Garrett on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

My Zip has the same beam as the FS, and I am 6'2" at 240lbs. I would not consider a walk-tru just because it would make the front seats uncomfortably narrow for me while also making the opening too narrow to be convenient for size 13 feet. However, if that's the particular look you want and are willing to make the sacrifice in functionality, it shouldn't weaken the structure. Just make sure to use the double gussets on the lower section of the frames if you want a little more peace of mind.

If you are using this as a launch for going to and from shore, then you will likely be carrying provisions, etc. Building as a utility may be an option you wish to consider. You could still set it up for front steering with seating for four and with well placed carlings, you could still have a nicely finished deck area all around the boat.

Good luck, and make sure to post some pictures as you go!
Andy Garrett

Retroman
Location: Great South Bay, Long Island, NY. Building a Zip/Flying Saucer

Post by Retroman »

it's very easy to put your butt on the bridge deck and swing your feet over. I would leave the bridge deck.
RetroMan
Built A Zip/Flying Saucer. I do my boating on South Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY
Documenting my build on YouTube @ http://www.youtube.com/SuperUnknownMC

John K

Post by John K »

I built my FS with only one cockpit. Really gives you more room and would not have to deal with the deck between the two. Just a thought

Overseer

Post by Overseer »

Thank you all I will have to reconsider maybe Andy is right build it per the plans. I guess I should take some duck tape and lay it out on the floor and see if my rear end can set on the seat.
The other consideration is instead of a windshield turn the bow up about 10 inches at the dash that would allow me to have a little more knee room mounting the dash higher. Any thoughts.
I was also considering moving the dash forward also to give me a little more room.
I'm stuck with the 12' boat because that is the longest boat I can get up with the davit on top of the boat.
Also I did consider building a utility boat but I have a 10 foot carbe fiber glass bottom with rubber sides but it is not cool. I did buy a 20 hp electric start with a power tilt but as it works out it is to big and heavy for the carbe with my 240 lb all in the back I can hardly keep from turning it over.
So that is what I will Power the FS with.
As you can see I have more questions then answers

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard »

At least one Zip has been built as a utility, with no bridge deck, and I haven't heard of any problems with this. The bridge deck does contribute to hull stiffness by "closing the box," but these boats are pretty tough anyway. I think Andy makes a good point, in that making a passageway wide enough to be practical will seriously limit seat width. We built the bridge deck on our Zip because it gave us a place to put the fuel tank and because it just looks cool.

Adding bottom battens certainly won't hurt anything. The Zip is a stretched Flying Saucer, and the frame spacing is pretty much at the limit structurally. We added stiffeners to our battens because a previous Zip had some flexing issues between the transom and Frame 2. Adding a one-inch-high stiffener to each batten and the keel batten eliminated this.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

rocker

Post by rocker »

Moeregaard wrote:At least one Zip has been built as a utility, with no bridge deck, and I haven't heard of any problems with this. The bridge deck does contribute to hull stiffness by "closing the box," but these boats are pretty tough anyway. I think Andy makes a good point, in that making a passageway wide enough to be practical will seriously limit seat width. We built the bridge deck on our Zip because it gave us a place to put the fuel tank and because it just looks cool.

Adding bottom battens certainly won't hurt anything. The Zip is a stretched Flying Saucer, and the frame spacing is pretty much at the limit structurally. We added stiffeners to our battens because a previous Zip had some flexing issues between the transom and Frame 2. Adding a one-inch-high stiffener to each batten and the keel batten eliminated this.

-Mark Shipley
Mark,
I don't know if this is the right place to be asking but, what did you use for a stiffener?I'm building a stretched TNT and am thinking about doing the same. :?:

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard »

Our battens are 1" thick X 2-1/2" wide mahogany. The stiffeners are just another piece of mahogany added to the top of the batten, creating a "T" section. After the battens were installed, we clamped a straight edge to the batten before adding the stiffener. This ensured that we didn't create a rocker or hook in the bottom. John took a bunch of photos of this when we brought our Zip to the Glen-L World Headquarters, and these can be seen in the Customer Photos. Hope this helps!

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

Retroman

Post by Retroman »

The other thing about the bridge deck bench seat: On the rare occasions that you are in the boat alone, you will want to sit in the middle of the bench seat, especially at 240lbs. The other thing I noticed, having built another runabout with no bridge deck, is that all the gear you bring, is all over the place. I like the fact that my glen-l has a separate cockpit for the operator, and the rear cockpit for all the gear. so much in fact, that I am converting my other runabout to a bridge deck/ bench seat set up as we speak.
Attachments
102_0515.JPG
RetroMan

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

Jim,

I'm already looking for an old boat I can convert as you have--something I can get dirt cheap. I think it would make an awesome gift for some friends!

You do fine work sir.
Andy Garrett

Retroman

Post by Retroman »

thanks andy. i have my glen-l wood hull, my aluminum runabout, now im going for my fiberglass runabout. I need the extra so both my daughters have there own and there is no excuse, not to meet mom and dad on the bay.

I ve been looking for weeks for an old fiberglass huill and a antique outboard.
He is what i have seen so far
Attachments
3G73I83Ja5E55K85J9cbn88bfce32565a1041.jpg
3I93M53m35I25G75Jbccdb1d9b11137431a98.jpg
2464b_t.jpg
2464b_t.jpg (4.03 KiB) Viewed 5167 times
RetroMan

Overseer

Post by Overseer »

Is there any way to help with the foot and leg room? I was thinking that the bow is 5 feet long and I could shorten it by 10" giving me some more additional leg room. I would just make the boat longer but I only have 12 feet on the flying bridge so I need to keep the boat at 12' 3" .
Overseer

Retroman

Post by Retroman »

Overseer wrote:Is there any way to help with the foot and leg room? I was thinking that the bow is 5 feet long and I could shorten it by 10" giving me some more additional leg room. I would just make the boat longer but I only have 12 feet on the flying bridge so I need to keep the boat at 12' 3" .
Overseer
I'm 6'2", 230 lbs and I feel the leg room is more than adequate.
RetroMan

Overseer

Post by Overseer »

I thought that I was moving at a good clip. But I see this will take a while. With any luck I will get started with the skin by the end of the week. This glueing and waiting tell the next day to move on is slowing me down. But tomorrow I will get the transom on and start the the stem. That is maybe I have the grandkids tomorrow and the wife might have other Ideas for the day.
And a Happy New year to all. I really appreciate you ideas and opinions.
Overseer

Return to “Small outboards”