Chesapeake Light Craft

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

RLASON52

Chesapeake Light Craft

Post by RLASON52 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Does anyone have experience with Chesapeake LIght Craft "Puzzle" jointed plywood? they claim to never have had a failure. No backing panel needed. 4' widths, several lengths. Kind of pricy though. Thanks, Rick

LInk: http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/b ... ywood.html

scottinwv

Re: Chesapeake Light Craft

Post by scottinwv » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:28 pm

I built one of their small kayaks with the puzzle joints. It did go together easily, just make sure the joint is absolutely flat. The joints were very accurately cut. The joint was a little stiffer than the rest of the panel, but was designed to be in a flatter spot on the hull.

I've built two lapstrake boats with okoume ply which between the two required 50 scarf joints. I used a belt sander at first, but learned a sharp plane was much faster and accurate. I rough cut the planks about 1/2 inch oversized and had very little waste. Both cuts for the joint in 3/8 ply with 5 inch width and 4 1/2 inch slope took 5 minutes. If the planks had been cut from 15 foot ply (two sheets puzzle jointed together) the waste would have been much greater due to the curve of the planks.

The puzzle joints worked fine, but given the choice I would continue with scarfs.

Scott

RLASON52

Re: Chesapeake Light Craft

Post by RLASON52 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Excellent information. Thanks much, Rick

Return to “Small outboards”