Minimaxed underway!

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

justagp

Minimaxed underway!

Post by justagp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi Folks,

Our Minimaxed is finally underway!
The kids and I plan to complete it before boating season 2013.
I hope to use it as a platform to learn a few things before tackling a more complex design (Flying Saucer).

We've now cut all the 1/4" plywood pieces and we're working on the "framing".
I'm using all marine ply and African mahogany to learn how to work with the stuff.
We're going to fiberglass the whole hull. The kids have picked fire-engine red and bright yellow for the paint job.

We're building it in our unfinished basement. There already seems to be one of everything stored down there someplace, so why not a boat factory! :lol:

Some minor design changes planned: the coaming will extend right to the front of the cockpit to (hopefully) make the boat a bit drier, and the steering board will be vertical on account of our salvaged steering column having a 30-degree angle built-in. Power will come from a 1970 Mercury 9.8hp. I also have a 1980 Johnson 4hp weedless drive, but I don't think it will be up to the task.

Helpful hints, pointers, suggestions all most welcome!
Attachments
fall+winter 2012 079.JPG
fall+winter 2012 075.JPG
fall+winter 2012 073.JPG

Paul Kinneberg

Re: Minimaxed underway!

Post by Paul Kinneberg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Looking awesome and what great memories for you and your children!

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Look's Great!! The kids really look enthusiastic about the build. The 9.8 Merc is a great little motor. It pushes our Super Spartan about 22 mph.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

justagp

Post by justagp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks Paul and Roberta! The kids are really excited. I'm trying to involve them in all the steps where's there's little risk of losing a finger. My son is already pretty good with the cordless drill (when he was younger he got his hands on it and practiced on my wheelbarrow tire, two bicycle tires, then the rear tire on my sister's motorcycle. I discovered these little projects at about 3-day intervals one summer, since he wasn't talking. I can laugh about it now, but at the time... :evil: ).

After my first tries milling some of my lumber I discovered that I needed a new blade for my table saw. I also discovered that I need a few pointers at using my new-to-me jointer (so far I suck).
For anyone who may be in my situation, on the magazine shelves locally I found a special issue of "Fine Woodworking" magazine called "The Best of Fine Woodworking: Basic Skills and Techniques".
For $11 it has about 120 pages of great basics like jointer and planer techniques, how to avoid tearout, sanding tips, chisel basics etc, etc. Each page seems to have a great tip that wasn't obvious to me as a beginner.

Hope to post more progress soon!

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Like all equipment safety first I lost a finger tip to a joiner when I was sixteen thinking I knew more than the people who wrote the reg's :roll: :(
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

polarisman14

Post by polarisman14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:07 pm

Sounds like an awesome project, provided my flying saucer project goes well I definitely plan on building a boat with the kids when we have them :). Tip, be careful with the red-and-yellow paint scheme...At least for me, you don't want to look like a floating McD's advert. Maybe do all of it red and then just the reg numbers and a tastefully placed stripe on the gunwale yellow?

justagp

Post by justagp » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Good point about the red and yellow color scheme! Before you mentioned it I was thinking of putting a big yellow "M" on the bow, for "Minimaxed". Just kidding!

Made some more progress today after a break. Mostly created lots of sawdust cutting the framing members. My new table saw blade works well! Next I need to make some good push blocks for my jointer to complete the milling of the rough surfaces. Hopefully on to stitch-n-glue in the next week or so!

Hope everyone's having a good winter. We just got hit with over a foot of snow from a weather system that apparently came up here from Texas (thanks guys). There's still a foot of ice on our lake, too. Have to keep plugging along to have the boat ready for summer!

justagp

Post by justagp » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:36 pm

Some more progress - I think we're on track for launching summer 2013!
Almost ready for filleting the interior seams.
Attachments
A clamp, a clamp!  My kingdom for a clamp!
A clamp, a clamp! My kingdom for a clamp!
Whatever you do, don't stand too close to this thing!
Whatever you do, don't stand too close to this thing!
Shaping the hull
Shaping the hull

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:42 pm

That look's like a fun build!!!!!Good Job!!!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

justagp

Post by justagp » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Thanks Roberta!

Interior filleting and fiberglass complete.
Pour-in foam in place (boy is this stuff fun!).

Next step is to complete fairing and install top deck...
Attachments
seaflea 001.JPG

justagp

Post by justagp » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:43 am

Some good progress over the weekend.
Fairing completed, top deck mocked-up then glued. Had to trim the front radius so that it would meet the lower deck without a large overhang.
Steering board mocked-up with recycled steering wheel/hub.
Also finished the knee and laminated the 3/4-inch ply for the motor board.
On to hull preparation for fiberglassing next.
Attachments
seaflea 008.JPG
seaflea 003.JPG
seaflea 001.JPG

justagp

Post by justagp » Sat May 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Ready to apply fiberglass today! I also fabricated the skeg and the final pieces of blocking for the motor board area.
I think this boat may actually see water before too long!

justagp

Post by justagp » Mon May 06, 2013 5:20 pm

I applied fiberglass for the first time yesterday. Perhaps unwisely (since I've never worked with the stuff before) I chose to start with a large piece covering the port side of the bottom and wrapping over the chine at the back and all the way around the bow at the front. It looks like the application was OK overall, but I found the edge of the glass cloth had a tendency to unravel, leaving me with a bunch of fluffy bits at the edges. I think this was happening mostly along the edge that I had carefully cut with scissors. Some of these fluffy bits I was able to remove before the epoxy set-up but some I wasn't. I haven't tried feathering the edges yet with sandpaper, so I'm not sure how much trouble I'm in for. I've watched the Glen-L video on fiberglassing cloth, but I didn't notice that the cloth was unraveling at all. Any hints for how to avoid the cloth's tendency to unravel at the edge? Is there another technique for cutting the cloth?
Thanks folks!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon May 06, 2013 5:30 pm

You're fine. It will sand right off.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

justagp

Post by justagp » Tue May 07, 2013 6:30 am

Thanks Bill. Going to have a go at it again today.

Return to “Small outboards”