First cuts

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

RLASON52

First cuts

Post by RLASON52 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Just finished cutting out my first piece of what I hope will one day be a Zip runabout. Cut the bottom of frame 4. Due to cutting on the wrong side of the pencil line, the notches for the battens to set in came out nearly 7/8" deep instead of 3/4". All notches are the same just a bit too deep. Really don't want to toss out a $20 piece of mahogany but I will if it's it's going to present a big problem. Should I: A. Toss out the piece and cut a new one? B. When adding the battens, epoxy a shim to the bottom of the notch to bring the batten even with the frame? C. Not do anything now and figure to even things up during fairing? (seems this would add a lot of sanding and planning labor, not to mention changing the shape of the bottom). Thanks, Rick

sawford11

Re: First cuts

Post by sawford11 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Rick,
If it were me, I would probably consider making my battens 7/8" instead of 3/4". If you are starting with rough cut lumber, you may be able to simply plane it down to 7/8".

I would probably avoid using shims. Anytime the soul of your boat (floor) is out you will see the junction between the frame and the battens and therefore see the shims. For me, that would be a constant reminder of the first cut I made that wasn't correct.

If you can't use thicker battens and don't want the shims; don't worry about tossing a $20 piece of mahogany. You will probably be able to use it for scrap later on....and $20 won't seem like much once you begin to realize the overall cost of the materials....

Just my 2 cents....

Hope to see some photos of your build along the way....I am just about complete with my build. I started in Oct 2011.

RLASON52

Post by RLASON52 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Sawford11, Thanks for the input. I'd thought of going with thicker battens too. Unfortunately my lumber supplier's mahogany is S3S with 4 quarter netting out at 13/16". Rick

obd

Post by obd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:41 am

Rick, I am right behind you and will be cutting out my first frames on my Malahini anyday. Templates sanded hopefully to perfection :) . I noticed the plans suggest cutting batten notches later to reduce fairing. I have read in the forum that some wish they had cut the notches when initially cutting the frame. I wasn't sure of any advantage to cutting the notches sooner than later. Thoughts anyone? Thanks! Bob

Buckeyesmith

Post by Buckeyesmith » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:33 am

The notches are certainly easier to cut now but be careful about the cuts for the deck battens and strongback at the top of frame #4. Unless you plan on putting in a false dashboard, that frame will become your dash so you don't want the end grain of a batten showing. You will be better off if you put a small block on the back of the frame for the batten to be fastened to.
My Webalbum: http://picasaweb.google.com/Buckeyesmith1/Gem#

The best part about a manual screwdriver is not needing to remember if you left it in reverse.

Completion is but one step in the process and not one bit more important than the others.

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:54 pm

I cut the notches for the battens after fairing, as suggested in the instructions. You can lay the batten out and then mark where the cuts are.

Cutting ahead would be easier, for sure. To cut them in place, I cut some vertical cuts shallow of the depth and then knocked the pieces them out with the chisel. To finish to the right depth, I used a router and jig to finish the cut to the right depth.

However, the router bit slipped out a bit and actually cut deeper than I wanted. So, I mixed some thick epoxy and filled in the bottom of the notches. A wooden form squeezed it to the right height. So, I would think you could do the same on your notches. After fairing, you will have a 1/16' or less to fill in.

Here is a picture of 3 notches getting fixed. The wooden plug sitting on the frame was clamped in the notch. It contains a short piece of batten to set the depth. The baking paper prevented sticking.
IMG_0419.JPG

RLASON52

Re: First cuts reprise

Post by RLASON52 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:14 pm

On page 2 of "Build it yourself the Glen L way, Fig. 4 & 5 it shows the frames being installed before any notches for the battens were cut and the notches for the chine logs being cut using the chine held in place as a guide. This seams like the best way to achieve the caption: It is imperative that the chine log mates firmly in the notch and does not merely bear on the corner of the frame"

If someone has used this method, could you relate your experience and any pros & cons.

Thanks, Rick

Return to “Small outboards”