Squirt in Minnesota

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Hercdrvr

Re: Squirt in Minnesota

Postby Hercdrvr » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:29 pm

I finally got my Squirt prop dialed in with a new 4 stroke 20hp Yamaha. Running a 9 1/4 diameter, 11 pitch. Me (200) plus daughter (120)= 320 lbs and Squirt tops out at 29 mph. My Speedometer was verified by a Master Craft tournament ski boat running next to me. It gets on plane in about 3 seconds. I first tried a 10 pitch and it was on plane almost instantly but hit the rev limiter at top speed of 27 mph. Moved up to a 12 pitch and she topped out at 30 mph with just me on board but took longer to get on plane and would bog down in a tight turn. 11 pitch is the best prop for varying passenger loads.

Other Squirt lessons learned:
-encapsulate everything, its going to get wet
-bilge pumps, yes 2 pumps. One on each side of transom knee if your going to run it hard in choppy water she will take on water.
-spray rails unless you want the added giggle factor of water in your face. My kids like it.
- skeg or fin a must when on plane, I installed a fin after first launch. Skidding was unsafe.
- Squirt design is sound, Had it out on Grand Lake of the Cherokees this Memorial Day and seriously pounded the hull. Spray and chop so heavy it blew off my automotive type adhesive rub rail. You can see rub rail hanging down in picture, stainless steel on order to replace.

Matt
Attachments
image.png
image.jpeg
Top speed 29 mph with 20hp

Steve S

Postby Steve S » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:47 am

Matt, your boat flies! Great pictures.

Thanks for the info on the props. I might switch to a 4-stroke also. I'm debating on a 15hp or a 20hp. The old 2-stroke isn't running the best and a 4-stroke is so much quieter. And no mixing oil and cleaner. etc.....

Steve S
Squirt build

Fred Østli

Postby Fred Østli » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:18 pm

Steve, we considered also a 20HP The Suzuki 15 and 20 HP is basically the same motor, and weight the same. The price-difference was 6000 nkr (800 usd) so we chose the 15HP. But it is possible to rebuild the 15HP to a 20HP later. My advice: If you have the money, chose a 20, but look also for a lightveight brand. This weekend we will test the boat with a 12" pitch propeller, and report back here :-)

Fred

Steve S

Postby Steve S » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:08 am

Hi All,
It has been a while since I posted but I need to stress the importance of the skeg design. When I made my skeg, I made it to look nice.(first picture) I ended it 18 inches from the transom and at its highest it is 1 ¾ inches.
My original design created to many bubbles for the prop and the cavitation was bad. I reshaped the skeg to a gradual taper and tried again.(second picture) I can’t believe the difference it made. There is NO cavitation at all. The boat pops right on plane. :D
Like they say “Keep it simple”. :wink:

Steve S
Attachments
Skeg 2.jpg
Looking good
Skeg 3.jpg
Works great
Squirt build

Return to “Small outboards”