Squirt in Minnesota

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Steve S

Re: Squirt in Minnesota

Post by Steve S » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:54 am

Yes. I put a small radius on the boards so I wanted them to be all covered. I wasn't real particular on getting the entire side covered but most of it did get covered with stain. I will be adding a 1/2" stainless rub rail.
Squirt build

mdweber

Post by mdweber » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:57 am

Got it. I have all my boards cut out and screwed, and am debating whether I should stain first or glue first. I don't think I'll be using a rub rail.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:08 am

It was easy to mask and stain with the boards glued down.
After I glued the boards down, I did a lot of sanding to get everything right. You don't want to have to sand after staining.
Steve
Squirt build

Ronb172

Post by Ronb172 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:28 pm

The picture of your Squirt Steve inspired me to get working on mine again. I thought I'd have it flipped by now, but other projects got in the way. Went out tonight and sanded on her and hope to do another coat of primer on the hull later this week. Would still like to know how the hell you built it inside your home. My garage is a mess.
Squirt almost ready to get wet
Building my third SUP.
Started the Topper build.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:01 am

Thanks Chris…I’m just hoping is looks almost as good as your Zip. :)

Ron, your Squirt is coming along nicely. I’m glad I could help. :) As far as my “boat room” goes, it’s a mess. :lol: :lol: I have the vents all covered and the cold air return has plastic over it. I don’t think my wife would be real happy if I was sanding and the furnace started and spread all the reddish dust all over the house. :( and shortly after that, I wouldn't be happy. :( :lol: I also made a box with two squirrel cage fans in it and all the sides of the box have furnace filters on them. It really helps collect the dust. I vacuum a lot… :lol:

Steve
Squirt build

red

Post by red » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:05 am

looks good great job on the stain

Ronb172

Post by Ronb172 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:07 pm

What length Teleflex did you use? I was thinking 10', but that was running down the port side. I thought the bend would be too much down the starboard side with wheel on starboard side.
Building my third SUP.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:45 am

I used a 10 foot cable. My steering is on the starboard side and I mounted the rack with the cable pointed to the center of the boat. The cable makes a big circle towards the front of the boat and runs down the starboard side of the boat. I drilled a hole through the cover board big enough for the nut to fit through. I will cover this hole with a clamshell vent cover Red sent me. :) :)
Steve
Squirt build

Ronb172

Post by Ronb172 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:07 am

Thanks Steve. I was thinking an 8' would work but wasn't sure if I had the room to make the bend without making a loop like you did.

Ron
Building my third SUP.

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:14 pm

BEAUTIFUL work.

You've done a great job.

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:27 am

Your welcome, Ron. :)
Thanks KB, your boat is beautiful. :D
As Art Atkinson said, “A hatch is born.” I will be using a gas/spring shock to facilitate opening and closing the hatch. I need to make some parts first to screw the ends too.
Now back to the white stripes. I’m using a condiment squeeze bottle I bought at Target for $2.50 and it has been working fine. Slow going though. :(
Steve
Attachments
20140922_170316.jpg
20140922_170332.jpg
Squirt build

Flash

Post by Flash » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi Steve,

Besides being world famous for building a boat in your family room, I think the deck on your squirt is amazing. I'm wondering if it would be OK for my wife and I to stop in and look at that deck some time?

Steve
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:59 am

“world famous” :lol: :lol: :lol: I like your sense of humor, Flash. I think you just want to see if I am really building the boat in my family room :lol: I would gladly show you my boat. I was working on getting the deck smooth, last night, and I put another coat of epoxy on it. Right now it is nice and shiny…until I start sanding again.
Send me a PM and I will give you my address. I’m not working on it much lately because we are working on building a new house, but we are around during the week.

Steve
Squirt build

jprice

Post by jprice » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:57 am

Steve S wrote:I’m not working on it much lately because we are working on building a new house...
With a bigger family room for a bigger boat, I'm sure. ;)

Return to “Small outboards”