Squirt in Minnesota

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Steve S

Re: Squirt in Minnesota

Post by Steve S » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:29 pm

Great idea, Jeff. :lol: :lol: I don't think I will be able to talk my wife into that again.... :(
Steve
Squirt build

Flash

Post by Flash » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:45 am

Re: The World Famous Family Room Boat Builder

It would be easy to under estimate the skill level of someone who builds a boat in their family room. I certainly did. However, on the day before Halloween, my wife and I had the honor of visiting the family room of Steve S. I can tell you that Steve S is an inventive craftsman who has built a beautiful Squirt.

Thanks for sharing your pictures with all of us and your famous work shop with Kathy and me.
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:16 am

Thank you, Flash, for the kind words. You and Cathy are to kind. I enjoyed our visit and look forward to seeing your build. :)
I'm sure that without the people on this forum I would not have gotten this far. Whenever I screwed up or could not figure something out, I just looked here. This is a remarkable place.
Thanks again, Steve.

Steve S
Squirt build

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:52 am

I started the varnishing possess and I’m finding out I’m not much of a finisher either. I will keep at it and hopefully the last coat will be the best one. I wish I would have but a little more white pigment in the epoxy for the white stripes. The varnish is yellowing them out a little more then I wanted. But still okay. :)

Steve S
Attachments
20141116_172935.jpg
Squirt build

Flash

Post by Flash » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi Steve,

It looks absolutely beautiful. Of course, I can't see that one air bubble that you're stressing about. Also, I have always liked the stripes better when they aren't so white. I have even considered gold instead of white.

Nice work.
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

miyot

Post by miyot » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:55 pm

Wow, beautiful. Real nice.

Gundy

Post by Gundy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:47 pm

The finish is looking awesome! Wow. I have the first coat of epoxy on my deck and hope to get a few more on before winter toys come out. I guess we'll have to connect on Prior Lake next next spring.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:22 am

Thanks for the kind words Flash, miyon, and Gundy.
Gundy, I think we missed July 4th. Everything takes longer then expected…. :lol: See you next spring....

Steve S
Squirt build

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:51 am

Looks beautiful, Steve. We are all our own worst critics!

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:42 am

Steve, your finish is coming out just great. What I did on my Zip was to use 400 grit on a long board between coats just enough to start leveling out the varnish high spots. Very light touch so you don't sand all the coat off. Then scuff lightly with scotch brite. Then clean the surface using something like Dupont Final Kleen just before the next coat. Do this until you are happy with the flatness of the surface ( I did 17 coats on my Zip). It is really impossible to avoid the little dust particles unless you have a clean room. To get rid of them, you can wet sand with 1500, 3000, and 5000 3M Trizact sanding pads on an RO sander. This goes very quick and the water can be appliee with a spray bottle. Then buff using a 3M Finese kit. This will give you a really nice showboat finish. The varnish will darken even the whitest white. I had to mask my caulk lines and paint with a boot strip white.

Roberta :D :D :D
Attachments
Finishing work done 001.jpg
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks Gayle and you are probably right. :)
Thanks for the advice Roberta …17 coats??? Yikes :lol: I have been using a long board between coats with 350 grit paper trying not to sand too much. The varnish likes to roll up instead of sand off…even after it dries for a day or two. :? I like the scotch brite idea. I will be doing that from now on. I will also be getting some Dupont Final Kleen. I will think about the wet sanding and 3M trizact sanding pads and a RO sander. A lot easier than by hand. 17 coats??? :shock: :lol: :lol:
Your Zip looks great and I would like to get mine half as smooth as you did. :)

Steve S
Squirt build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:42 pm

It's not as bad as it sounds!! I would give the varnish more time to dry. It should not ball up on you. Varnish is soft and takes a long time to harden up. The long boarding is very fast as you are not trying to get everything in one coat. I only knocked down the high stuff, then scuffed with the scotchbrite. It does take a few weeks to get through the process, but the work is not that bad. I probably only spent about an hour on each sanding and scuffing.

Roberta :D :D

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:30 am

Roberta, can I use the 3M Trizact sanding pads with my Dewalt 5” RO sander? It’s a variable speed sander. Any suggestions on speed for the sander? I find 3” pads and 6” pads, on line, but no 5”. Can I cut them down to 5”? Where do you buy yours? :? :?

Thanks for the help, :D
Steve
Squirt build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:29 am

I think any RO sander will work. I like the air sanders because they are light and fast. You could just use the 6" pads as is.

Roberta :D

wingridr

Post by wingridr » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:25 pm

I look forward to watching you finish your Squirt! I live on the NW side of the Cities, and my brother in law and myself have started a Monte Carlo, but with the birth of my nephew, my BIL thougt it would be a great idea to build a small version of the Monte for the boy to grow into. So, we have put aside the Monte for a bit, and he is going to get the plans for a Squirt for us to build first. One can only hope it looks half as nice as yours! :D

Return to “Small outboards”