Stretched Flying Saucer Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

polarisman14

Stretched Flying Saucer Build

Postby polarisman14 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Hello all,

For those of you who missed my first thread, I was originally thinking of doing a jet drive on the flying saucer. Between this being my first Glen-L boat and the logistics involved in keeping the length down to 13'6" and twin cockpits with a jet drive it was a bit too much.

If anyone has seen the videos on youtube from SuperUnknownMC then this build and final product should look very similar--I came up with the idea for the paint scheme before even having seen his, but it's just about identical. It'll have a short two-pane split windshield and I'm going with a Chrysler 35hp outboard, but otherwise it will be difficult to tell them apart.

I was originally going to be using Phillipine red Mahogany for the framing, etc but have decided to use Port Orford Cedar. It's lighter, slightly more rot resistant, and is as strong and holds fastenings as well. For the planking, I'll be using Marine Meranti--after some research it seems they use phillipine mahogany in the construction of it.

I'll be posting pictures of the work space once I get it completely cleaned out--I rearranged the basement the other day to try and make room for it and I've freed about 10 feet wide by 15 or 16' of uninterrupted space, the furnace being in front of that but still some free space in front there as well.

Enjoy and please ask questions and give suggestions because I really don't know what I'm doing. I replaced a transom in my donor boat, a '72 Chrysler cadet, just to get out on the water this season and during the build-up of the Glen-L and am helping a friend fix his Mini Hawk. That's where my experience ends!

Matt

polarisman14

Re: Stretched Flying Saucer Build

Postby polarisman14 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:22 pm

This thing is gonna be pretty well shoehorned into the basement. I'll have enough room, just going to be tight at the bow because of the manifold coming off of the furnace. The thought crossed my mind for a few minutes to just build it at the 12'3" length, but I figured I'd really appreciate the extra length for leg room, storage space, and ride comfort eventually, so I'll deal with it. I had to skew the entire boat slightly sideways in the workspace to get it past the furnace, but I've got at least a foot and in most places at least two to get things done in there. Besides the lally columns, there's even more room than that--the large shelving unit can be shuffled over a bit more during the planking process as I know that's going to be a little tight. Either that or I can take stuff off of the shelving to afford a bit more space.

Anyway, here's the first photo update--not much, but it's something. I used some concrete anchors and a drill bit to hold things in place. Unfortunately I couldn't get a 14' piece of lumber so I had to make this out of a 8' and 6' section of 2x8 for the building form. I clamped a piece of 2x4 to it to keep things nice and straight throughout the form, and luckily I managed to find some laser-straight boards to make these pieces out of.

I'll be waiting until I get my instructions sheet (which I lost) from Glen-L, hopefully sometime later this week, to complete the form. I have a couple 10' lengths of 2x4 and will likely have to purchase a couple more. Hopefully I have enough scrap 2x6 laying around for the form uprights.

Unfortunately, it may be up to Santa Claus to deliver some lumber so I can get started on the framing and other goodies--unless I can free up some more cash before then.

Total time spent so far:

-~10 hours getting the Chrysler in good working condition, dialed in
-2 hours on the building form

Matt

EDIT: Stumbled across this picture I took earlier when I first got some of my parts from Glen-L.

So far I have the FS hardware kit, the Poxy-Grip epoxy for everything besides encapsulating, all of the bronze carriage bolts, plans, lumber and screws for the form, foam and marine vinyl (slightly off white--cream colored, almost) for the seats, and trailer, motor, and controls from the donor boat (and steering parts, if I don't decide to go the teleflex route).

jprice

Postby jprice » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 am

Always exciting to finally get started. :D
Just one question though. How are you going to get it out of the basement?

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:25 am

Oh, crap!

Just kidding :lol:

I have a walk-out basement and the door is 7' tall by 34" wide. Right behind me in the picture is the walk-out door so we'll just have it stand it up on its side and walk it straight out, transom first. The FS's finished height is only 27", I double checked this and verified with Gayle herself to make sure. With the beam being at 5'9" that'll be no trouble either. I'll just have to wait on mounting the steering wheel, windshield, and motor until it's outside. Other than that I can finish it completely down there.

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:28 am

I have a design question--I'm stretching the boat 10% (15"), I need to know where the stretch needs to be. It says to add the length in from the aft end of the stem to the transom a proportional amount. Since the rearmost tip of the stem projects 12" into the space between frame 5 1/2 and frame 4, I added 3" between frames 5 1/2 and 4, and 6" between frames 4 and 2 and 2 and 0. Does this work? Want to make sure before I cut the notches in the building form.

jprice

Postby jprice » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:44 am

I never really understood what the #1/2 frames are. :?
Anyway, on my build, I figured out the amount of stretch, which turned out to be 18". Then divided that evenly among the 'sections' aft of the forward-most frame.
I have 3 frames, so there were 3 sections. I added 6" to each of those sections.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:00 am

Hi Jprice,
So it sounds like you've kept the original distance between the stem and the closest bulkhead. I assume this is to avoid changing the bow shape. Is this correct?

Cheers
Mojo

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:08 am

Yeah it looks like I'm just gonna end up adding 5" in between the 3 frames and leave from the breasthook to frame 5 1/2 untouched, I got my instructions in the mail today and confirmed that's what I'm supposed to do. I'm headed to lowes in a couple hours to grab 2x6x12s for the longitudinals on the building form, since it's stretched a foot and a half the 10' ones won't do anymore. Not a big deal, I can't wait to have this thing swallowing a quarter of my basement!

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:10 am

I made some more progress on my project this last weekend. Tacked another 3 hours myself and 2 hours of a friend's help for a total of 5 hours, on the building form. I kinda had a snafu with the spacing on the setup members so I blocked them to the top of the uprights and will be adding a couple boards perpendicular to keep everything square as the tops of the longitudinals are currently tipped in 1/4" apiece. Easy fix. Otherwise everything is nice and square. I'm holding off on making the notches for the frames until I have the wood but I do have them marked out per the drawings.

I also got the go-ahead from the wife to buy the framing wood and the piece of 3/4" marine ply for the transom, just waiting to hear back from the lumber place. Getting 16' lengths of Port Orford Cedar for it.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:05 pm

Good to see you've made a start. I'll be following with interest. I've got my plans, but won't be making a start until later in the year. Need to build my shed first.

Cheers
Mojo

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:32 am

Thanks, the wheels are turning now and with any luck I can get my buddy's help in cutting all the members to size. He has a jointer, planer, table saw, band saw that should make quick work of all of that. The 16' boards are on order and will be in next week sometime. I aim to pick them up next weekend. I'll be buying about 50 board feet of it.

EDIT: I added a couple braces between the longitudinals and moved one of them forward 3/16" so that they are perfectly square front to back, perfectly level, and now 18" outside to outside at any point in the measurements. At this point I'm literally (unfortunately!) at a standstill until I get some more materials.

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Hey,

Just checking in. While I don't have any updates regarding the building of my boat, I do have a kinda cool story. I found an engine on craigslist (55hp Chrysler) and I figured it would be a nice upgrade from the 35 for the ole flying saucer. While I didn't end up picking up the motor because it was in pretty rough shape, I mentioned in passing that I was going to be building a wooden boat. "Wooden boat? Oh, you wanna see a wooden boat?" he says...Then he takes me around the corner into his barn/workshop. He had built a 21 foot Mahogany/Meranti plywood runabout from scratch, 100% his design--not from plans or patterns. The beam was only 6' or so, twin cockpit, with an outboard engine configuration. He had also built a boat from scratch out of aluminum that was a very nice deep vee design with a cuddy.. I didn't want to step on his toes by taking pictures of his stuff especially not purchasing anything from him, but it was really inspiring to see the wooden boat in person and see the level of detail that was put into it. Everything besides the switches and horn was wooden--even the outer and center supports for the custom-designed and cut windshield. He said if he had to estimate, he had about 600 or so hours into it. It was a work of art. We chatted for a half hour and I wished him good luck with his sale, and went on my way.

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:06 pm

That's a cool story. Thanks for sharing!

On another note, a 55 hp motor might have been a bit too much for flying saucer anyway...
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:57 am

Where it's stretched to 13'6" and I'd like to carry 4 people occasionally I don't think it'd be too much. Especially with running the trim tabs and hydrofoil on the skeg it'd probably still only go ~40mph which would be quite a thrill in that boat. I'd rather have the extra power and not need it than the other way around. There's a guy in Franklin (20mins from me) with a 45 horse I'm waiting to hear back from--very slow communicator--but hopefully that will pan out.

On another note, I was browsing craigslist again last night and found a killer deal, 1/4" meranti plywood sheets at $25 apiece from a guy that had stored them upright in his basement with 0 damage, 3 sheets. I offered him $60 for all 3 and I'll be picking them up Sunday. Even though it's 1/4" vs the 6mm I'll be buying from my local lumber supply, I can relegate this to gussets and maybe just the decking so that there won't be any noticeable transitions in thickness.

John K

Postby John K » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:17 am

1/4 inch plywood maybe a misnomer. It maybe 6 MM. If you look at most plywood now a days, a 1/2 inch is no longer a half inch, etc.

Return to “Small outboards”