Stretched Flying Saucer Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

polarisman14

Re: Stretched Flying Saucer Build

Postby polarisman14 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:17 pm

No photo updates this time, just short text. I ordered an electric planer, respirator, and a pack of spare blades for the planer for $75 including shipping, after I found a promo code, from Harbor Freight. Those will be on their way and hopefully I'll receive them next week. The planer had a 5 star review including one from a boatbuilder who bought it for a 25' boat project and was very happy with its performance.

My wife was nice enough to wrap with towels and steam the sheer for me while I was at work. I re-steamed them when I got home and proceeded to drill all the holes to join them to the frames and breasthook, along with truing up the breasthook laminations and cleaning up the notches at the transom. They are now sitting, screwed to the boat, drying out. I'll probably wait until this weekend so that they have a chance to dry out nicely before epoxying them in place. I think for the second lamination I will just use epoxy to glue them together with a bunch of clamps, rather than trying to remove the screws from the first lamination.

74.25 hours.

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:27 pm

I'm just finishing steaming the second lamination of the chines as we speak. Thankfully these went very quickly--5-10 minutes apiece for cutting the front and transom bevels. Clamping thoroughly on each side and wrapping/steaming with towels took up another hour. I'll be letting these sit overnight, steaming them again tomorrow morning, and removing the towels. Then they'll sit and dry for a day, and I'll epoxy everything Sunday evening.

I'm up at 75.5 hours now!

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Another quick update. The sheer laminations bent quite nicely and they are currently drying. I got the first lamination glued and screwed to the frames and the second lamination glued and clamped to that. I also had to put a few screws in to keep everything aligned while clamping but I'll probably remove them after it dries.

77 hours.

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:57 am

Another quick update. The clamps came off the sheer last night and I filed the bevels into the chines and sheer with a wood rasp. Definitely going to be nice using the electric plane to take care of the planing, but it's on back order from harbor freight so I had to buy it elsewhere. Paid an extra few bucks but it should be shipping out soon, which is a good thing because I am at a standstill with the project (besides cutting out another transom knee, laminating it, and fitting them to the transom).

78 hours.

By the way, did you guys bevel frame 5 1/2 (and others, as necessary) to angle it toward the stem along with all of the lengthwise beveling necessary for the chines and sheer? Just trying to make sure I understand the process correctly before I go nuts with the planer.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:45 am

Yes, I beveled the frame forward edge very slightly, mostly just on frame 5-1/2 I think. Dont take off too much, its one of those times when a little goes a long way.

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:04 am

Yeah at most it's going to be a 10 degree bevel or so--making the angle from the front face to side face (where the planking contacts frame 5 1/2) be about 80 degrees. Not an exact science, but you know what I mean. I probably will leave the other frames alone though I did notice at frame 2 it could use a slight bevel as well.

I'm really excited to get this stuff in the mail so I can keep going. I fear I'll be running out of poxy-grip pretty soon though. Looks like I have about a quarter of a can left and I still have to laminate another transom knee and secure all the planking to the boat. I may just buy poxy-shield and thicken it for the rest, but I have been very satisfied with this so far so I may just buy another kit.

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:46 pm

I cut out the last 2 transom knee laminations and glued and screwed them together today. Next week I'll be making a trip to my buddy's house and using an oscillating drum sander to match up the laminations.

I'm having a hell of a time actually purchasing a handheld electric planer. The second attempt at ordering this one has resulted in another back order. Sooner or later I'll buy one and receive it.

79 hours at this point.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:14 pm

In the instructions they talk about the ply not touching frame 5 1/2, does anyone know why this is? Is this difficult to achieve, or does the ply naturally rise up as it goes over the bend?

Cheers
Mojo

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:10 am

^^I'm wondering about that too. Not quite there yet on the build, but I'm not too far off.

Finally got my refund from the second planer that was on backorder. I found a third on ebay and have the question into the seller to verify they physically have the unit on hand before I submit payment (why the hell should I have to ask that, shouldn't that be implicit within the listing?). I also have an offer in on my used snowmobile track, which I'll be using for some snowmobile parts and another piece of 6mm Marine Meranti ply :).

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:35 am

As to the ply not touching frame 5 1/2 I can't imagine that being possible! The consensus seems to be that it's okay to glue/epoxy the ply to the frames, but NOT to screw or fasten the ply to the frame. That's what I did and it's been fine.

Bending scrap/test pieces lengthwise along the side will help you determine how much the sides of frame 5 1/2 must be angled. It's always easier to create more angle than to have too much angle in the first place.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Yeah I had a feeling that was the case. Doesn't really make sense why you would be able to glue but not fasten it except for the chance of creating a localized stress point that a fracture could originate from and split the frame. Either way I'll play it safe and just epoxy the contact points, then use the chines, sheer, and battens for fasteners.

Good news--a planer is on order that was actually in stock. Hopefully it'll get here in a timely fashion. Until then, I can concentrate on getting the transom knees matched up and installed, and using the Rabl method to pre-bevel the chines and sheer for the planer's arrival.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:41 pm

Just take it easy with the planer until you feel comfortable with it, it can take a whock of material off quickly. For what it's worth I used the planer to get close and a lot of 80 grit belts on a belt sander to tweak it.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:50 pm

Sounds good to me. Mine is pretty widely adjustable and I can take as little or as much off as I'd like. As I now have access to a belt sander as well I will probably take your approach. Definitely would rather not take too much off.

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:54 pm

So, I'm looking at the Designer's Notebook entry on the Rabl Method of Fairing (at http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/3820/fai ... -method-2/) and am looking at the following picture:

In this, is the distance "A" the same on the chine and keel/stem, or just equal to the other distances measured on that member (meaning, A-B is the same as B-C, C-D, etc on the keel or on the chine)? I just want to make sure the areas I am marking are the right distance apart.

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:27 am

Bump, any advice on this?

I went over to my buddy's house yesterday and took care of the transom knee laminations (2) with the oscillating belt sander. It only took about 15 minutes. They came out great--not exact to one another but very close and the angles are identical so it should fit quite nicely.

Total time: 79.25 hours.

Return to “Small outboards”