Stretched Flying Saucer Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

polarisman14

Re: Stretched Flying Saucer Build

Postby polarisman14 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:11 am

Quick update: I think I may have finally diagnosed the intermittent spark issue with my outboard. I pulled the flywheel after seeing that the spark issue stayed with the top cylinder even after swapping the coils around, and noticed that one of the NEW point assemblies from Mercury quicksilver was sticking open. Swapped the stock one in so we'll see if that fixes it.

Matt

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:29 am

Finally! That appears to have fixed the problem. I put the new points in on Sunday and ran the boat around for a solid half hour to 45 minutes with 0 issues, even when trying my best to recreate the problem. I will be buying a new set of points from a different supplier known to have no manufacturing defects, and will keep the ones I have as spares...Just in time for the season to end. They will be drawing the water down on the lake I live across from on Oct. 13th. At least I will go into the off-season motivated to work on my Flying Saucer.

Matt

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:37 am

Just wanted to post up a long-overdue update. I have continued making improvements/repairs to my 35hp outboard and it is now ready as a donor motor--that's part of the reason why I haven't worked on the boat too much. I've been busy enjoying the donor boat! Oh well.

I had a wooden boatbuilder that thankfully lives 10 minutes from me come over yesterday to look over the boat and give me a quote on finishing the fairing process for me. Basically, if it's under $500 I am going to pull the trigger just to have the peace of mind that comes with a properly faired hull. The planking isn't nearly as intimidating to me (besides the transition joints) as fairing because I know if this step isn't done properly the boat will ride and look like garbage. He showed me how he would fair a boat of this size as well so if it's too rich for my blood I can still do it myself. I'm just in way over my head and wanted to get another option. I'm still alive! :P

Return to “Small outboards”