HELP! what boat would suit a highschool student?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Zac

HELP! what boat would suit a highschool student?

Post by Zac » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:16 pm

hello fellow boat enthusiasts!!

I am a highschool student and looking to build a boat for my major project but I am confused as to what boat to build. I want a 2 seater (nothing over 12ft) that is relatively uncomplicated to build. Any sugesstions as to what model?

Cheers Zac

Also i am in Australia where mahogany and spruce are expensive, any cheaper alternatives? i have heard hoop pine is a good altenative.

jprice

Re: HELP! what boat would suit a highschool student?

Post by jprice » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:10 am

Well, you didn't mention whether you wanted it powered or not.
Personally, I think it would be better to make one either human or wind powered. Saves the added cost of an engine, and simplifies the build a bit.

The Bulls Eye might be a good fit: http://www.boatdesigns.com/11-Bulls-Eye ... ducts/501/
It's stitch and glue, so the hull's easier to build, and it had a lot of options for how you can power it.

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:51 am

Zac,

I agree that for a boat that is "relatively uncomplicated to build," you're probably best off looking at a stitch-and-glue design. Glen-L offers several of these in the size that you're talking about. In addition to the Bullseye that JPrice mentioned, the "Row Me" might be a good option as well.

Here's a link to Glen-L's stitch-and-glue designs: https://www.boatdesigns.com/Stitch-and- ... tments/16/
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:11 am

I'm going to go against the grain here. To me, thinking back when I was a kid, I was given a row boat and I thought it was the coolest thing, ... Until the next day, ... I got tired of rowing in about 15 minutes. While it might be fun and relaxing to some older folks, ... today's youth, is anything but relaxing.

How about a TNT, ... Simple, small enough, holds at least 2 people?

Regards
Bill
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:21 am

Since you probably have a limited amount of time, I would go with something like the Can Yak or the Imp, or maybe one of the smaller sailboats. Building a hull is relatively quick and simple, but much of the real work happens after righting it. Installing the motor, fuel tank and plumbing, and the steering hardware all take considerable planning and time. It's a classic example of "when you think you're 90% finished, you really have 90% to go." About two thirds of our time during our Zip build was spent after the hull was off the form and upright.

Regarding materials, there are a number of Australian builders on this forum, and those guys can provide information on lumber that is in your area.

Whatever design you end up building, make a point of doing something on the project every single day--even if it's only for 15 minutes at a time. You'll be surprised at how quickly things will come together.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi Zac
As far as framing timber I used Hoop Pine. I believe some have used Tassie oak. As far as choice of build I think a small sailing boat has a lot going for it:
.You don't have to row
.Construction can be fairly simple
.You can utilise a box trailer for trailering, not a purpose built trailer (Extra rego etc)
.You don't have the expense of motor, fuel tank etc and on going fuel costs
.You can rig and sail on your own. You are not relient on others except maybe transport?
.Mast can be a problem. A friend of mine turned one using a home made jig, an electric planer, an electric drill and sanding belts.

Good luck
Tony from Tiaro
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Zac,

Where abouts in Oz are you?

I like the idea of a Tubby Tug. Small, easy build, something different. Yes you need a motor, but a very small outboard can be had for relatively little cost. At least then you can just go whenever and wherever without having to learn to sail. Of course if you want to learn to sail, completely different story.
Being completely unbiased, you could of course build a Gentry :twisted: Seats 3.....
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Zac

Post by Zac » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:32 pm

First of all, i would like to thank you guys for the help. I am very thankful for the advise. However i would have to agree with Bill, I would much rather a power boat.

How hard was the build of the TNT? How long did it take to build? Cost? etc etc

Cheers Zac

Zac

Post by Zac » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:37 pm

hey Trackhappy

i am located in the town of Ulladulla (about 3hrs south of sydney)

matt167

Post by matt167 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Bill CNC wrote:I'm going to go against the grain here. To me, thinking back when I was a kid, I was given a row boat and I thought it was the coolest thing, ... Until the next day, ... I got tired of rowing in about 15 minutes. While it might be fun and relaxing to some older folks, ... today's youth, is anything but relaxing.

How about a TNT, ... Simple, small enough, holds at least 2 people?

Regards
Bill
I agree, something like the TNT, or Dyno Mite/Jet would be what I would build. Even the Bingo, tho I do not care for that design

terrymc

Post by terrymc » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:48 pm

Long ago (and far, far away - 1961 in San Francisco, Ca, USA) I built a Tuffy. I did the frames in school wood shop, then finished the boat at home. It's a great little boat that runs great with a small engine (I had a 40 hp) seats 4, and is a great ski boat.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Remember you don't need a really large boat to catch big fish! :lol:
Here's a pair of Butter Dish's with Paddles and a Catfish about the Right size to bring on board.
Big Catfish, little boat.png
Big Catfish, little boat.png (148.69 KiB) Viewed 4123 times

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Zac your gonna outlive and outgrow anything you build right now.
Build that 12' Row boat and you'll learn to love boats and boating.

Git er' dun bub!

Return to “Small outboards”