New Tubby Tug build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

tony24

New Tubby Tug build

Post by tony24 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:17 am

Getting ready to start a Tubby Tug and was wondering if douglas fir AC plywood would be ok if I plan on Glassing whole boat?

Roberta

Re: New Tubby Tug build

Post by Roberta » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 am

Should be fine, but make sure it is exterior grade.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

jprice

Post by jprice » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:34 am

Not to go against Roberta, who definitely has a lot more boat building experience than me. But i'm gonna say no. :shock:
Actually, I'll change that to a maybe.
It really depends on the quality of the ply. How will you know if it has interior voids? It likely will have some, but how many and how big.
Personally, I say go for marine ply. The extra cost is really pennies in the scope of the total cost of the boat.

matt167

Post by matt167 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:02 pm

ABX or ACX would probably be just fine for a tubby tug as it is a displacement hull, but the BOM lists 3/8" and 1/4" thickness. Good luck actually finding ABX or ACX that thin.. My experience is I could not find it and special ordered marine grade as it would have been special order anyway.. The other thing is, the exterior is scant thickness or 1/16" under nominal thickness, so if you go with one kind, you have to stick to it... Also make sure it's DF exterior. I've heard Some exteriors are actually SYP and that's not what you want. Exterior where I am is always Dougals Fir, even garbage CDX

Return to “Small outboards”