Aussie Flying Saucer

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Mojo

Aussie Flying Saucer

Postby Mojo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:15 am

Hello folks,
I'm only relatively new to around here, but have been checking out the Glen L boats for the past few months. I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to build a Flying Saucer. I'm far more of a sailer then a power boater, but sometimes the practicalities of a power boat are too much to ignore. I built my last boat which was a Colson 8 (8 metres). She was a nice boat and taught me a lot, but ultimately I found it chewed too much money and would cost me all my spare time trying to keep it in shape to race. There was also the hassle of needing a full crew plus the stress of towing. All that took the fun out it, so I sold up and vowed that my next boat would be smaller, cheaper and easier.

http://mojounwin.tripod.com/

So, anyway, back on topic. I've got my timber, epoxy, fiberglass for the Flying Saucer

Timber is hoop pine and the ply is Gaboon
Timber, epoxy, fiberglass, fastners and building form have set me back about $1800 AUD. I've picked up a Johnson 2stroke 35hp for $150 and spent another $50 on rebuilding the carby.

Cheers
Mojo

polarisman14

Re: Aussie Flying Saucer

Postby polarisman14 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:41 am

Sounds like you got a killer deal on the engine--I'll be running a Chrysler 35 on mine so they should perform pretty similarly. Is it a 15" or 20" shaft? What length are you making yours? Glad to see you finally took the leap and bought materials for yours. The sailboat came out awesome so I expect no less from your FS.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:05 am

It's a long shaft, 20". I wanted a short shaft, but the truth is they are too hard to find with electric start and forward controls. I did pretty well with it, the owner bought a boat with this motor off ebay. When he got the motor it had low compression, so repowered and wanted to offload this one. I just bought it for the forward controls and parts, but the motor looked in pretty good shape. Turns out the head wasn't done up properly. I checked the heads, replaced the gasket and rebuilt the carby. Runs fine now.

It was built in the early 80's, so the HP is rated at the powerhead, I guess it's the equivalent of about a modern day 30hp. I'll be interested to see what speed you get out of yours.

I've had to raise the transom a bit to suit the long shaft.

The boat has been stretched to about 13ft

Cheers
Mojo

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:45 am

Yeah mine is the same way--it's a 72 Chrysler 35hp so it'll be about a 30. As luck would have it it's a short shaft with controls and electric start and only weighs about 125lbs--very light. In your case it isn't a big deal either, just don't cut the low section out of the transom and that will give you a few inches back. You can also use a jack plate or setback plate to get the other couple inches out of it and a couple more mph as well. Mine is about 13' as well so they should come out pretty much identical in their construction provided you stick with the twin cockpit configuration. I cut 3 sets of transom knees so I could put them on the outer battens as well as the keel to jive with the extra power. If I can get 30mph with myself and 1 passenger I'll be really happy, and I'll be even happier if I can get it to plane with 4 adults. I plan on using trim tabs and the cav plate fin on the outboard as well so I don't see that being a problem.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Frames are cut and glued and are starting to be setup on the jig. Shed space is going to be tight, but I guess that is just extra incentive to keep the shed clean.

Cheers
Mojo

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:56 am

Looks very familiar! And with the tightness of space, I feel your pain--My workspace is about 9' wide, maybe 10, by 16' long. Got just over a foot on all sides.

It goes pretty quickly, doesn't it? I need to get back into mine but have been busy working on my snowmobile since winter is fast approaching. Chines next for you!

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Yep, making progress on the chines.
We're a bit lucky with weather over here in that I can go work outside year round if I need a bit more space.

Cheers
Mojo

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Chines, battens and Sheers in. Fairing done. I'm loving how quickly this is all coming together. Shed is not getting any cleaner, but I figure I can sweep it all under the boat soon.

38.5hrs

Cheers
Mojo

Pullie

Postby Pullie » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:24 am

Looking good, you can start juggling with sheets of ply next :D

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:20 am

Wow, definitely shows you what experience and the right tools can do--I'm at the same point in my project as you are (and am not done fairing yet!) and I'm at roughly double the time than you are. Great job! Any tips to share about fairing or anything?

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi,
I didn't use any particular method for fairing, but it's worked out alright. I used a power plane, hand plane, orbital sander (with 40 grit paper), a 4' straight edge, a 1"x4' thin strip of timber, a sheet of ply 2'x4' and a string line

I started by getting the chines and sheers right at each frame and then went from there.
On the flat bottom aft sections I held a string line from frame to frame and then put the straight edge across the keel and chine, this showed me how much to cut down to get the aft section right. Used the sheet of ply on the curved sections to help guide me there. I went a lot by sight. I think it has worked out alright. Not perfect, but not far out. Resin and filler will solve the imperfections.

Cheers
Mojo

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:32 pm

She's looking great, Mojo!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:45 pm

Well, she'll possibly float like a boat now.
Shed still needs a clean up, but I think I'll wait until I can get the hull out. Won't be too far off that happening. Will glass the bottom soon and then filling and fairing, filling and fairing, filling and fairing.
I've got 3 weekends left before I head away for Christmas, hoping to get the boat flipped before then.

Cheers
Mojo

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:23 pm

Forgot to say. I'm at 60hours.
Cheers
Mojo

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:03 pm

I've been a bit slack the past few weeks, should have had the bottom painted and the hull flipped a few weeks ago, but the motivation to fill and sand hasn't been there. Anyway getting to the end of sanding now and am ready to spray an undercoat on. Having it all a uniform colour will help show if there are any high or low spots, so there may be more filling and sanding once that is done. Hoping to get some paint on tomorrow. I'm using a Botecoat Aquacoat hibuild primer and top coat. It's suppose to be less toxic then the other stuff and you can thin it with water. I'll see how it goes. I'm at about 70 hours now.

Cheers
Mojo

Return to “Small outboards”