Aussie Flying Saucer

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Flash

Re: Aussie Flying Saucer

Postby Flash » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:34 pm

Hey Mojo,

I almost forgot. Congratulations on the leak free launch!
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:14 am

Cheers Mate,
Hopefully I'll know by the weekend what path to take with the outboard. This working during the week really slows down progress.

Cheers
Mojo

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:31 pm

Have bought a Tohatsu 30hp 2 stroke. Similar weight to the outboard that was on there. I've installed it today, but I can't run it until the dealer checks it over. Apparently the warranty is void if you try and run it without them doing a final check. Bit of a pain, as I won't be able to get to the dealers until next weekend.

Not to worry, plenty of little jobs left to do in the mean time. Looking forward to going for a run though.

Cheers
Mojo

Barra

Postby Barra » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:13 pm

I ended up getting a Tohatsu 2 stroke too (50hp...). Same deal here too, dealer needs to check it first. Good thing is that the warranty period doesn't start until then, handy for a protracted build...

Look forward to seeing how yours goes.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:13 pm

I've had some problems with the clearcoat on the deck. It has started peeling off in places. Given that the boat won't be on the water this weekend I decided to strip the clearcoat off. Wasn't as big a job as it sounds. Took about 2 hours. I'll have another crack at recoating it next weekend.

Not sure when I'll get back on the water, maybe a few weeks away yet. The engine needs to be run in for 10 hours, so will have to patiently wait until we get to see how she performs at full throttle.

Cheers
Mojo

travis24

Postby travis24 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:46 am

Mojo

Looks great! On the clearcoat just trying to help out, what was your install process and what products did you use? Did yo apply sealer before clearcoat?

Travis
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

www.liquidassetsonline.org

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:24 am

Hi Travis,
I prepped like I had for any of the other coatings. Sanded with 400 wet, washed down with soapy water, rinsed with fresh water and dried with a towel.

I think I know where the problem is.
I used aquacoat, which is a waterbased polyurethane. It is supposed to be thinned with water up to 15%, however I had read on the net that it could be thinned 50% and applied with a lint free cloth. I suspect this information is incorrect and think it was just too watery. All other coats have been with 10-15% thinning and have cured hard as it should. I'll send the distributor an email to confirm, but suspect this was the problem.

Cheers
Mojo

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:30 am

Also, the timber had been coated with several coats of epoxy prior to clear coating.

Cheers
Mojo

travis24

Postby travis24 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:10 am

Possibly the poly isn't sticking to the epoxy is the problem. Did you sand the epoxy to rough up the surface for polyurethane to stick to? I don't think it's a mixing problem but I could be wrong. Hopefully you get it squared away.

Travis
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

www.liquidassetsonline.org

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:45 am

The water base two part stuff needs a rougher surface than the solvent types. Use 220 and change paper often because, as it is used, it degrades to more like 320 or 400. I used System Three WR-LPU and it peeled due to the substrate surface being too smooth. It needs more to bite into.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:38 am

Nice motor, I look forward to hearing how it performs.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:56 am

Hey Folks,
Thanks for the advice.
I received an email back from the distributor. The thought was that watering down is fine, but as mentioned by others the surface prep was too smooth. That's good to know and an easy fix. I'll lay down another coat this weekend.
Motor won't get back to the dealer for another few weeks, so no launch for a little while.

Cheers
Mojo

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Mojo
I have a Tohatsu 30HP outboard like yours, I am very happy with it. It performs as good as the 45HP Chrysler it replaced. You will not need it, but I thought you may be interested in a Workshop Manual. I purchased a manual on ebay, "Tohatsu Outboards 2 Stroke 1 & 2 Cylinder Workshop Manual" $17.90. Seems to be a reprint of the factory manual. The seller is the one with all of the Tohatsu models on his ad preface.
ozzieboat

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:24 am

Had the outboard back to the dealer today to get checked over for warranty purposes after the install. All was good, so I launched her at about lunch time. Was a perfect day. Blue skies and beautiful temperature. I was pretty chuffed. Could not have hoped for more. The boat handled well. Stable and safe, but a lot of fun. I still have about another 9 hours of running in to do on the motor, so didn't get over half throttle and was also running on a rich oil mixture. Top speed for the day was 20kts (23mph), I think 30kts is achievable once the motor is run in and we can use full throttle.

I still have a few more little jobs to do, so I'll have a formal launch once that is done, but really enjoyed the little cruise today.

I haven't strictly kept a track of cost, but $8000-9000 AUD is in the ballpark. That is with a brand new outboard and trailer.
Build time sits at 250 hours. It's been a nice little project. I didn't want to spend several years again of my life building another boat and didn't want something too big and difficult to use, I think I've achieved my goal. I'm happy.

Didn't take any on water pictures today, hopefully will get some over the coming week.

Cheers
Mojo

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:46 am

Congratulations! The boat looks GREAT!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Return to “Small outboards”