Aussie Flying Saucer

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Flash

Re: Aussie Flying Saucer

Postby Flash » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi Mojo,

Congratulations! It rides good, runs good and looks good. Nice work. I've enjoyed following your project.

Take care,

Steve Flood
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:31 am

Have done a few more trips in the boat now. About 3 hours in total run time. The engine is allowed up to full throttle for short bursts, but the fuel is still oiled at 25:1.

Top speed so far is 28.9kts (33mph) with one person in the boat. Top speed with 3 in the boat is 26kts
The boat with one person has some minor purposing from 25-28kts, this was worse and happening at a lower speed when I had 2 people in the back (as you would expect) I plan to mount a 12 gallon (48l) fuel tank under the foredeck, which should make a big difference and will consider some smart tabs after that if needed.

I'm happy with the handling of the boat. It feels safe at top speeds.

Cheers
Mojo

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:46 am

I went for an unexpected swim in the Brisbane River today.
I'm still running the motor in, thought I'd go for a motor in to the city (60nm return trip).
I got in to the city and found a spare pontoon I could tie up to, got out to stretch my legs, didn't tie the boat off properly and she drifted off in to the river. Didn't have much choice but to strip off and jump in after it. Gave the onlookers something to laugh about. At least I didn't get eaten by a bull shark. Spent the return trip wet and cold, it's mid winter here.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers
Mojo

miyot

Postby miyot » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:51 am

I hate when that happens. :)

miyot

Postby miyot » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:39 pm

Mojo, I'm starting the Flying Saucer build next week. Your thread on your build has been helpful as have the others on this site. Been studying them all. Now tell me, which way does your toilet water spin when you flush. Is it clockwise or counterclockwise. Since I'm in the Northern hemisphere ours is clockwise and I've heard stories about the Coriolis effect and wondered if it is true :) By the way my last build was designed by an Australian. I here you guys are pretty good seafarers. Your boat looks excellent. The lines of the FS caught me as well.
Dave

Flash

Postby Flash » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi Mojo,

Great story! How cold is it? Are you serious about the sharks?

I've been building a screen porch for my wife for the last 6 weeks so my FS is stuck in the fairing process. It's looking like the lakes will freeze before the boat is ready. I probably won't have the money for a motor before spring anyway.

Take care,
Flash
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:30 pm

Congrats! Sounds like it performs very well!

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:08 am

Hi All,
Miyot,
Our toilets don't actually swirl any direction, the water just flows down. The water in the sink does swirl however and also swirls in a clockwise direction.

Flash,
Yeah there are a fair few Bull sharks in the river, but for the majority they leave you alone. You'd be very unlucky to get bitten. I didn't spend much time in the water anyway and it was in the middle of the day, I think they prefer to feed sunrise or sunset.
Hope you can get back to the boat soon.

Cheers
Mojo

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:34 pm

For anyone who is interested, I just weighed the boat.
My FS is stretched to 4m (13'1") Built from Gaboon ply and hoop pine frames.
Weight with motor, no fuel came in at 250kg (551lbs) Motor is about 60kg (132lbs)
I've fiberglassed the bottom, but the rest is just coated with epoxy.

Has anyone else weighed their FS or Zip? What weights have folks come up with?

Cheers
Mojo

travis24

Postby travis24 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:10 am

Mojo,

Boat looks awesome !! Great job and now the fun begins. Reading in your earlier remarks you talked about possible trim tabs. I must say that's an absolute last resort! It's all about balancing out the boat and proper tilt on the motor. I'm still in testing on my zip set my motor on the 1st tilt pin and put a 50 pound sand bag in the bow I also have two six gallon tanks mid ship and the boat performs wonderfully. It runs 31mph, I haven't weighed it yet but I believe it to be very close to yours.

Travis
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

www.liquidassetsonline.org

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi Travis,
I agree, ideally you don't want to be using the tabs to correct issues that would be better sorted by setting up the balance right. I am a bit transom heavy judging by the porpoising. To sort this out I've installed a 12 gallon fuel tank in the bow, but haven't used it yet. I think this should solve the problem.

Having said all that, I can see benefit to the tabs. You get up on the plane quicker, have better vision at lower throttle and they will help when the balance changes (ie fuel usage or adding passengers). For this reason I've added a pair of 30lbs smart tabs.

Cheers
Mojo

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:59 pm

Hey Mojo,
ZIP - white oak frames, 1-3/4" thick white oak transom, Joubert marine ply hull, 1/8" thick white oak and blood wood decking, 5/16" thick white oak floor slats, big battery, full 6 gallon metal cruiser tank, spare 1 gallon emergency tank, many gauges, fire extinguisher, floatation, windshield, anchor, bilge pumps and blower, paddles - all in ready for a days outing - at tad under 800 pounds. Does not include weight of cooler and beers. :)
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:06 am

Forgot to mention, I named the boat the other day. I've named it Disco Volante. Italian for Flying Saucer.
I'm still chasing that elusive 30kts. The engine is still running in though, so I'm hopeful I'll get there.

Cheers
Mojo

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:20 am

Really nicely done. I like your deck a lot, and that new motor! Great job on everything, thanks for posting the pictures.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:33 am

That's some sweet looking 'eye candy', congrats. For what it's worth, with a tach on my boat, it took 4 props to get the most out of her, getting her pitched right so she hits her max RPM range. Got it up to 30 MPH @ 5,600 RPM, with a 55 year old engine!
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Return to “Small outboards”