Flying Saucer Transom

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Bermuda

Flying Saucer Transom

Post by Bermuda »

So can anyone tell me the rough unfinished lumber dimensions to a flying saucers' transom? and the Dash?I
I want to make them from Bermuda Cedar (which is actually a very rare juniper tree)
I have the plans in the mail but I'm being a bit impatient and may have found where I can find some!
Building a 12' Flying Saucer

John K

Re: Flying Saucer Transom

Post by John K »

I used 1 inch plywood with 1 inch oak framed on the inside. The dash was also made from 3/4. Not sure how long or wide the boards were. I actually started with 1 & 1/8 rough cut. Planed made it 1 inch.

Bermuda

Post by Bermuda »

Thanks, I can always use the listed beam length and hull depth to estimate the other dimensions, and at least I'll know I won't be cutting myself short.

Bermuda

Post by Bermuda »

does anyone also know it you can make a transom from scarf jointing smaller pieces?
Does it affect the design at all, or enough to matter?

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

The transom has to cope with all the thrust of the outboard trying to rip the transom off the back of the boat so the transom needs to be strong, which I suspect is why the plans call for a 'solid' piece of ply.

If you are thinking scarfing so you can use smaller pieces of georgeous Bermuds Red Cedar for the transom here's another approach. A lot of folks put on a thin 'veneer' layer of fancy wood on the back of the transom for appearance, if you could cut thin strips of the cedar you could veneer the back of the transom that way.

That being said my transom is two slabs of 1 3/4" thick white oak running the full width of the boat, butt jointed at a horizontal seam with biscuits for reinforcements. I also reinforced my transom several other ways for extra strength.

Well done scarf joints are arguably stronger than the wood itself, but are a little tricky to make well. Might be best using the Bermuda cedar as a veneer layer for looks.

All the best.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Bermuda

Post by Bermuda »

Wow how did I not think of that, It sounds so obvious now
Thanks a bunch, that will actually help out a lot as I just found out it's about $50 - $60 a board foot :shock:

Return to “Small outboards”