How "Easy" is easy for the Power Skiff 14'?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

skifffl

How "Easy" is easy for the Power Skiff 14'?

Postby skifffl » Sun May 18, 2014 5:02 am

Hello,

I live in SW Florida and the Power Skiff 14 seems to be the perfect inshore fishing vessel for our extemely shallow waters. I currently own a 16' Carolina Skiff but need something that can handle a little more chop and the PS14 looks great.

I have ZERO, ZILCH woodworking experience outside of slapping a few 2x4's together. I do have the necessary tools handed down to me but I'm concerned because I have NO experience with the wood working section, fiber glass etc.

How forgiving is a screw up? Are the cuts complicated or instructions for putting the boat together? For example, the "Sheer Detail" in the notes is even over my head and I am having trouble following along?

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/outboard/ ... notes.html

Is there a better boat to "wet my feet" before attempting this skiff?

Thanks for you input!

Tony

Lowka53

Re: How "Easy" is easy for the Power Skiff 14'?

Postby Lowka53 » Sun May 18, 2014 5:52 am

8) ok experience comes with the build If you fill your head with the whole set of prints it can be a mind blower. Just constraint on the piece you are building at that time. when you get it completed move on to the next piece if you run into problem that is what we are here for to answer your questions. most of the builders here started the same way as you no experience with wood working or building a boat. so we understand how you feel The power Skiff is a good boat for what you want it for there is a builder in your area who build one but he is not active on the forum any more look up upspirate for his build. I think some of the other who live in your area might still be in touch with him. :wink:also get a copy of http://www.boatdesigns.com/Boatbuilding ... fo/12-430/ and this book you will find yourself using it as a shop book http://www.boatdesigns.com/Boatbuilders ... fo/12-429/ 8) there is a builder here who's quote is a boat is just a box with out any square corners this is very true :D
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

jprice

Postby jprice » Mon May 19, 2014 8:40 am

Here's a good video of a stitch and glue boat build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuoy1dGOxFI
It will give you a good idea of what's required. Although you won't have to do the lofting part shown in the video, since Glen-L provides full size patterns. All you have to do is trace them out and cut.

BlueRidgeBoater

Postby BlueRidgeBoater » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:07 am

I am building the Power Skiff 14 right now, and I have not found it to be too difficult to build. I am at the stage of painting the interior, then will flip to fiberglass the outside. Although it's not difficult, there are some little things that may help you with the build that aren't covered by any instructions I've been able to find but that could make building it a little easier for you. If you decide to build this boat, PM me and I will pass on some of those thoughts.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:29 am

Please pass the ideas on here. Everyone benefits that way. Thanks.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BlueRidgeBoater

Postby BlueRidgeBoater » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:28 pm

I'll put together a list and post them. Some of you who are experienced will likely laugh at some of the suggestions, but as still a newbie I can say that there some things that if they were clearer or more express would have made the build go smoother.

skifffl

Postby skifffl » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:38 pm

Thanks for the posts guys, I'm currently about half way through the BB with Plywood book. I'm also starting to look around for some extra storage space to build the boat. @BlueRidgeBoater, please do, no observation is too small. I promise your efforts will not go wasted, I'll need all the help and tips I can get. Thanks!

skifffl

Postby skifffl » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:32 am

Hello,

I finished the boatbuilding book and am re-reading some portions and a few questions came up as I've looked at where/how I can build this. How exact are the instructions? Is this a step-by-step or do the instructions leave alot of assumptions?

Thanks for the help!

BlueRidgeBoater

Postby BlueRidgeBoater » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:17 am

I would say that the instructions are 95% complete and accurate. There are some small things along the way that the instructions don't address, or where they are not quite accurate, but you can figure them out. And, if you have any questions, I have found this forum to be tremendously helpful in getting questions answered.

skifffl

Postby skifffl » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:37 am

Thanks BlueRidge, the forums are super helpful. I was just on this AM and read your post about fiberglassing the outside and made my mind up that I am going to FB the outside based on the feedback considering where I plan to use it. I really love what Ken Muenster did with his here, the deck is exactly what I want.

http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/power-sk ... allery=480

I wonder how I can go about contacting him for some measurement help?

BlueRidgeBoater

Postby BlueRidgeBoater » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:51 am

If he is a member, you could PM him.

skifffl

Postby skifffl » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 am

I tried looking him up using his last name under Members with no luck. Maybe I'll luck out and somebody will read this thread and let him know.

Return to “Small outboards”