Power Skiff 14 plan modifications

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

skifffl

Power Skiff 14 plan modifications

Postby skifffl » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:45 am

As I research building the PS14 and read the "Boatbuilding with Plywood" book I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

1.) Is it possible to create a deck instead of an open bow on the PS14 or would that create weight or other problems? I'd like to have a casting deck running back to possibly as far as the middle of the skiff.

2.) The plans offer an optional glue kit to fiberglass the hull. Is strength the main reason to take what appears to be an extra step here? I plan on painting or wrapping the hull if that matters?

3.) With the deck option I mentioned would there be a problem with installing a poling platform on the back.

All in all for this boat to work for me I need to make it more of a technical poling skiff with the deck and poling platform. If these are not viable options that would too drastically change the performance or safety of the skiff, can you recommend another skiff plan that might better allow this?

Thanks for your help with these questions, I'm excited about the prospects of doing this.

Here is a sample poling platform: Image

specialk

Re: Power Skiff 14 plan modifications

Postby specialk » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:46 am

I am sure you will get a answer to your modifiation question..But I think the Flats Flyer might be a better build ...It is has a front deck...and back deck for a polling platform...
I am building one now..and I am have a blast...hope that helps..there are so many other's on this fourm with more experience than I..

Kelly
Attachments
026flatsflyer-l.gif
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:06 am

I too think you should build the flats flyer.

I have some doubts about how stable the PS would be with you standing on a casting deck not to mention a pole station.

skifffl

Postby skifffl » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:16 am

Thanks guys, I do love that flats flyer, it looks like a sweet ride. My main concern is the additional lumber necessary and it seems much, much more complicated of a first time build?

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:13 am

Another possibilty might be the Dragon Fly. It is also stitch and glue construction. But either boats aren't that difficult and would be a better platform for your intentions.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

skifffl

Postby skifffl » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:11 am

Both of those might work but the material requirements are alot more. I imagine that also means they can support the weight of the deck and poling platform.

How complete are the instructions in the plans. Are they literally step-by-step fully explained? I think if they are "Instructions for Dummies" I may have a chance at building either of these two boats.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:08 am

skifffl wrote:How complete are the instructions in the plans. Are they literally step-by-step fully explained? I think if they are "Instructions for Dummies" I may have a chance at building either of these two boats.
All I have to say is Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt. these plans are made for being boat builders the support here on the forum is great. Glen-l sells books to help as well. Dreams never become reality with out working to make them happen. Sounds like fear will be your biggest problem In the five years I have been on the forum I have seen this so many times these same people have produced award winning boat so get started, build your boat it will not build it's self :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

skifffl

Postby skifffl » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:46 pm

Actually, this is really what I want to do with it. A gentleman named Ken Muenster did the deck is exactly what I want. I can skip the poling platform if I can do a deck like this. Anybody know how to contact Ken Muenster?

AWESOMENESS! http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/power-skiff-design/?album=30&gallery=480

Return to “Small outboards”