Utility = cheap thrills.

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

vupilot

Utility = cheap thrills.

Postby vupilot » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:24 pm

There I was surfing the interweb looking at boats for sale when I stumbled across a Glen-L Utility. It had a dirt cheap price so I just had to click on the ad for a closer look. It was complete with a trailer and the pictures looked good. So I think I did what any of us would do. I called the seller/builder and drove 8 hours round trip to get it a day later.

A couple days after picking up the Utility I had found a 15hp 4stroke for sale. That turned out to be too heavy and too powerful. I then found a 2003 Mercury 8hp and it is a perfect match for the Utility. I just had to spill the beans to BarnacleMike that he had made a perfect choice in already purchasing a new 8hp for his Utility build. He is going to love it! Such a versatile boat. We topped it out at 24.2 mph on GPS with the two of us onboard. It will plane as slow as 12-13 mph. Cruising 15-20mph is rock steady but we spent most of the day going swiftly.

The boat was built by John Gaul and his father-in-law near Aurora, IL in '09-'10 so they could run their antique outboard collection. The numbers 62 on the boat is John's birth year. John said his father in law had passed on and John's wife asked him to sell the boat. The boat is very light, John had said the seams were
fiber-glassed but the entire hull was not. It is actually painted with Behr exterior house paint, sprayed on. Its surprisingly durable and smooth but I'll still continue to recommend Interlux products.

The boat didn't appear to have a name so I'm thinking "Cheap Thrills", my wife likes "Knotforkeeps" better. I think she is trying to tell me something.

Anyway, I know how much you guys like videos of Glen-L boats running so here ya go.... and Michael, I hope this gets you salivating. I can already tell your Utility is going to be one of the finest ever built but you and your kids will have a blast with it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTh-ZoT ... e=youtu.be

GlenLUtilityEagleCreekJune201411.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Re: Utility = cheap thrills.

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:53 pm

Chris

That is cool. It really moves on 8 HP.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:35 am

Very cool. Nice and simple. I really believe there is a place for simple in boating. Thanks for sharing.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:12 am

I was grinning ear-to-ear watching that video! :) Wow, the little boat really does scoot along with the 8hp. Salivating. Check.

Thank you, Chris!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

darthplywood

Postby darthplywood » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:42 am

i have plans for a Utility...i want to build one with/for my kids when they get a little older
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:20 pm

I had not noticed this post. That is a great little runner Chris. Surprising how fast it
it picks up on the 8. It must be light. Cool Color scheme too. Yeah, we all know you
are going to keep it. You`ve got the room. Why not.

Realistically I have room for one more build. Just trying to figure out what to build next.
There are so many fantastic designs. 8)

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Ha! Both my cars are sitting outside these days so I really don't have the room. That isn't going to fly with the Mrs when the cold weather hits. If I can make the Gathering this year I'll bring the Utility.

Return to “Small outboards”