Mark58

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

gdcarpenter

Mark58

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 am

My next project?

Sold because she wouldn't 'turn over'. Quickly discovered replacement starter brush lead solder joint had failed, at electrical shop for repairs. Once that's done time for compression test and she if she starts and runs, though apparently it ran well.

Has starter and charging system components, all controls, cable and wiring that all appear fine, even has original key for ignition switch. Gear selector works, bottom end feels fine and hand turning shows compression present, time will tell.

Hiccup is it's along shaft, and current Mark35A on my ZIP is short. Posted inquiry on converting long to short shaft and received email and call from folks I dealt with for the 35A at Ferguson Poole Marine in Atlanta. His wealth of knowledge and experience picked up on something I knew nothing about.

Most oldie Merc's were short shaft back in the days so "Extension" kits were produced to convert them into long shafts. Essentially a spacer between the foot and the driveshaft housing, with extensions for shift shaft, drive shaft and coper water pipe. Hopefully I can just "deconvert" this puppy back into a short shaft for my ZIP. Live and Learn!

The two photos, the 58 and the 35 should show this "extension". Will update after starter is back.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

mdweber

Re: Mark58

Postby mdweber » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:53 pm

So did you get a good deal on it!?

I wish small outboards were still easily convertible from long to short. I have a 3.5 long shaft on my dinghy. The prop is over a foot below the bottom!

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:33 pm

Did I get a good deal, depends on one's criteria.

Worst case scenario I could likely part it out and turn a profit. Best case scenario it becomes an alternate engine for my ZIP, or someone's else's build. It also keeps another old Merc out of the landfill and running like it was built to do.

I just really like these old Merc's and enjoy being able to put my mechanical skills to use.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:30 pm

:roll: again I am so afraid of buy one of the old two stroker's there is talk of banning them here they already banded the 2 stroke jet skies here :roll:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

mdweber

Postby mdweber » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:26 am

Rod, have old 2 strokes been banned or has new production and sales been stopped?

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:39 am

mdweber wrote:Rod, have old 2 strokes been banned or has new production and sales been stopped?
at this point you can still buy used ones I have not checked on the new breed my info came from the owner of the boat repair at Lake Powell who I am a friend with he warned me off of buying any 2 strokes due to the trend to ban all of them on our waters here in Utah, it is a shame due to I can get a real nice big mercury with downer boat and trailer for 300.00 the motor is to large for the boat it is on :roll: :? as of right now you can still use them here but for how long it is will be hard to tell. So as this point do you buy one and spend the cash to fix and refurbish one and with in a few months to a couple years not be able to use it, this has had me wondering for awhile now I love the old 2 strokes there are quite a few on the market but they just are not even selling here.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

areame

Postby areame » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:20 am

Cool project! I picked up a non-running Mark 28 for something to play around with this fall/winter.

Hope you get it started when you get it back.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Update: starter back from repair shop, they installed new brushes, bench tested, ready to go - $35.00.

Back home at the ranch, fresh battery, cold engine, cranking until compression stops increasing - 130 PSI +/- 2 PSI across the board. Add 2 squirts of oil to cylinders and retest - 150 PSI +/- 5 PSI.

I had previously fabricated my own 'homemade' cylinder leakage tester, with input air pressure of 100 PSI all 4 cylinders were showing 5-6 PSI drop or leakage.

Houston, systems appear AOK.

Did get 'shocked' by hanging plug leads while performing compression tests so she has some spark.

Hopefully get to try and fire her up this weekend.
Attachments
image.jpg

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:30 pm

OK, went to fire her up, but got nothing but backfiring. Dropped the mag and the points were next to closed because of major wear on the points rubbing block. Filed and set gap on old points to 0.008". Reinstalled mag properly, someone has done this incorrectly, and she fired up on the first flip of the ignition switch.

Good news is she runs pretty darn good, some minor 'missing" but I did not fine tune timing and have not even touched the carbs. The stator and rectifier are, amazingly enough, in great shape, cranking out 16 volts with less than mid range RPM.

Lots of relatively minor hiccups to deal with like leaking top crank shaft seal, possible prop shaft seal/bearing, a few snapped heads on some bolts, but overall she looks worthy of some more effort.

Be good to have a 'back up' for the Mark35A on my ZIP, not to mention the possibility of adding a few extra ponies on the back end. Time will tell.

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:12 am

That sound great. Glad some one is having some luck with old Mercs. I am still having starter problems. Had battery ck and it is ok.
Starter will turn motor over with plugs out fast enough to start it, but with plugs in it just seems to not have enough power to turn it over fast enough to start the motor. I am at a lost as to why. So I bought a new starter that was suppost to replace the one that I have and it did not fit at all, so will have to send it back. Is there some way to test and see if the wiring harness will carry enough amps to turn the starter over. It seem to get warm quickly.
I have tried using jumper cables direct to the starter and that does not seem to make any difference.
Jeff

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:31 am

Starter motor will warm up pretty quickly. If using jumper cables directly to starter doesn't help then it seems highly unlikely that the wiring harness capability is an issue. Either starter is still not up to snuff or there is some kind of mechanical issue internal to the engine making it harder to crank, which doesn't seem all that likely as she seems to run well once started. Not cheap but Ferguson Poole Marine does have new replacement starters, but not drilled and tapped for solenoid mount. Only other possibility that comes to mind is a mag that's getting weak and won't output enough juice to fire plugs at lower cranking RPM.

travis24

Postby travis24 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:53 am

Garfield,

Not trying to steal your thread

Jeff,

Send me a PM and I will send you my email. Give me a quick description of problem not a full 3 page article. I need good pics of all, motor,battery,control box,wiring harness and a good pic of all items hooked to the motor.

Travis
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

www.liquidassetsonline.org

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi Jeff, just remembered something else. As I recall you have a 'Frankenstarter'. Make absolutely sure that your starter brushes are in full, complete and perfect contact with the commutator bars on the armature. Less than ideal contact brushes to armature means less than perfect current flow, had to do that to the starter on my 35A.

Don't know about where you are but I just had a new set of brushes installed in the starter for my new/old Mark58 at an automotive electric/starter/alternator shop here in Raleigh, $35.00.

Also make sure the 'grounding' side of the starter circuit is complete, clean with tight/solid connections, and sufficient gauge wire to handle the current flow. If your ground wire is too small it can limit current flow. Chain only as strong as the weakest link.

Return to “Small outboards”