Making Resin Putty to Match Mahogony

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

BlueRidgeBoater

Making Resin Putty to Match Mahogony

Postby BlueRidgeBoater » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:52 am

I'm building a 14' power skiff and am painting the interior and the hull. However, I am going to keep the sheers, breasthook, and middle seat mahogany. I just installed the inner sheers this weekend, and have small gaps between the breasthook and sheers I would like to fill. What's best to fill this with that will match the wood color? All the resin putty I've made so far has been with silica and microspheres because it was being used in places that were going to be painted. How do I make putty to match the wood? I've got a bunch of mahogany sawdust from when I ripped the sheers, could I mix that with resin to make a matching putty? I've attached a photo that shows where I am in the build.

20140707 Boat Status Picture.jpg

mrintense

Re: Making Resin Putty to Match Mahogony

Postby mrintense » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:21 am

I've done this and it works fine, however, I would suggest you mix the silica "light" and thicken up with the sawdust. I've noticed on a few places where I did this and the sawdust was "light" that the color eventually lightens up. If it's only going to be a filler, then sawdust alone will be fine. I would recommend testing it first because the saw dust will be considerably darker after adding to the resin.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:34 am

You can also buy pigments for coloring epoxy that might help darken it, if needed. Rather than sawdust, I used some brown pigment in epoxy thickened with cabosil to match my stained meranti plywood.

When you do some testing, make sure you stain (if planned) and encapsulate the test pieces before you match the color.

BlueRidgeBoater

Postby BlueRidgeBoater » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:40 am

Will the sawdust and epoxy mix be any darker than the breasthook that is sealed in epoxy? (Or should I not be sealing the mohagany in resin but just in varnish to keep the natural color?)
Last edited by BlueRidgeBoater on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bergy

Postby Bergy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:46 am

I would recommend using sanding dust, not saw dust.

Howard
"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln

John K

Postby John K » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:43 pm

I use saw dust and grind it with a seasoning grinder mill (small blender). To match mahogany I blend in some white oak saw dust. This will lighten it and give it some color variations that mahogany has. I used this on some antiques that I have restored in the past.

Return to “Small outboards”