Kris Zip build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

kris

Kris Zip build

Postby kris » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:38 pm

Decided to start my own build thread. I hope you guys can help me during the build.
I'm really happy about the progress made the last few weeks. Most of the frames are mounted on the jig. Next step will be to attach the keel. Is it common to use screws or bolts?
Attachments
2014-07-20 18.42.30.jpg

Cabron

Re: Kris Zip build

Postby Cabron » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:42 pm

Looks great so far Kris. Great to see another build.

I`m sure you know this. The Keel Bolts to the Stem with 2 Bolts
and 4 Bolts at the stern. 2 through the Transom, through the knee and
2 through the Keel through the knee.

I used screws to attach the Keel to the frames. Glue and Screw
2 screws at each frame

Are you going to do the Keel batten/Chine/Sheer notches next?

Josh

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:43 pm

Another ZIP - excellent choice!

Where frame 5 1/2 buts to the building form longditudinals, bevel the longitudinals back so the hull ply will fit, and is the transom permanently mounted? From photo it looks vertical, not angled.

Clean looking build. Popular boat. Keep up the good work.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

kris

Postby kris » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks. I forgot to mention my plan to jet-power this boat. That's why the transom has no angle. I like the clean look of a vertical transom, could this be of any trouble when i am not doing the outboard engine?
Next step will be the keel. Just need some final adjustments to the last frame/stem. Thanks for pointing out the longitudinals, probably smart to fix them before doing anythig else.

The "inside" of my 5,5 frame is not according to the plans, the 3" drop from the longitudinals as stated in the plans will therefor not be enough. Does anyone know the measureme from my figure here?
Attachments
2014-07-21 21.25.05.jpg

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:22 pm

kris wrote:Thanks. I forgot to mention my plan to jet-power this boat. That's why the transom has no angle. I like the clean look of a vertical transom, could this be of any trouble when i am not doing the outboard engine?
Next step will be the keel. Just need some final adjustments to the last frame/stem. Thanks for pointing out the longitudinals, probably smart to fix them before doing anythig else.

The "inside" of my 5,5 frame is not according to the plans, the 3" drop from the longitudinals as stated in the plans will therefor not be enough. Does anyone know the measureme from my figure here?

Hey there Kris.

I`m looking at your drawing and trying to figure out what you`ve got going on there. Have you altered something? You say then inside of 5.5 is not according to plans. Why not?

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:01 am

It's been a while since I built my ZIP, but, as best as I can recall, the plans give a specific height that the breast hook should be above the bottom reference line of the building form. Check the plans.

Can't think of any particular reason a vertical transom wouldn't work, but might well just look a little odd since most boats do have a backward tilted transom. Other than that it's your boat!
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:51 pm

I'm a bit confused as to why you feel the need to change the frame at 5 1/2. What are you wanting to accomplish. I think you are indicating that the inside contour of your frame shape varies from the plans. Correct? If so, ignore any measurements there and just make sure that your jig is the proper height and that your stem is also. You will wind up bending your keel down a bit to make contact with the stem, so don't try to 'string' it and make it all level there.

A vertical transom will require trimming the height of the transom just a bit or your deck line will flare up. You may wish to calculate this change in height before installing the sheers.

You'll find no shortage of Zip help here! :wink:
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Return to “Small outboards”