Can't find 1/4" plywood

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

skifffl

Can't find 1/4" plywood

Postby skifffl » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:28 pm

I'm having trouble locating 1/4" marine grade plywood for the Power Skiff 14. The closest location is a couple hours away and is a very expensive Okume out of my budget. I am able to locate 1/2 and 3/4 " marine grade plywood locally however pretty easily.

Will switching out the 1/4 for 1/2 add too much weight to the hull and affect the performance or safety of the skiff? I plan on fiber-glassing both the interior and exterior.

I also am considering adding buoyancy foam to the skiff so maybe that will help with the extra weight?

Thanks!

Bill Edmundson

Re: Can't find 1/4" plywood

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:39 pm

You will have a very hard time bending 1/2". Foam only adds weight, until you sink. I doesn't make the boat lighter.

We always say to add your location to your profile. Then we can help you source material.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

skifffl

Postby skifffl » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:50 pm

Gotcha, okay that makes sense. Glad I asked about the foam too, I made the wrong assumption there. I'm in Fort Myers Beach, Florida. On the gulf coast about 2 hours south of Tampa and 1 hour north of Naples.

Closest I've found is Bateau on the other coast.

mdweber

Postby mdweber » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:57 pm

I ordered my okoume from Chesapeake light craft. $123 flat rate for shipping.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:46 pm

skifffl wrote:Gotcha, okay that makes sense. Glad I asked about the foam too, I made the wrong assumption there. I'm in Fort Myers Beach, Florida. On the gulf coast about 2 hours south of Tampa and 1 hour north of Naples.

Closest I've found is Bateau on the other coast.
try this list it might help https://www.facebook.com/notes/home-mad ... 4574139228 :roll: :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

kens

Postby kens » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:15 pm

worldpanel products is on the atlantic side from you.

http://www.worldpanel.com/
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

miyot

Postby miyot » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:01 pm

As noted in other posts, 1/2 inch won't make the bends. I myself am in a similar situation. I just finished a 24 ft build and will be starting on the Flying Saucer next week. The plan is to use all of my leftover material from my last build to build this boat and not have to purchase any lumber. The FS calls for 1/4 ply for the bottom and sides. I have enough 3/8 ply to plank the entire boat, so this is what I will try to use.

I looked up the weights of 1/4 Doug Fir ply and compared it to the 3/8 Okoume. Doug Fir 25 lbs per 4 X 8 and 3/8 Okoume was 28 lbs per 4x8. Weight won't be a problem but the 3/8 Okoume my not make the bends at the bow. However the Okoume does bend easier than the Doug Fir. So this is kind of an experiment. It is usually not wise to change the scantlings sizes called for in the plans. Sometimes even an 1/8 can make a huge difference.

I have only one full sheet of ply and the rest is in pieces, but I have enough. Lots of seams and butt blocks. Should be fun. Good luck on your materials search. Sorry to be long winded. Also 1/2 inch would affect your weight adversely.
Dave

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:01 pm

I've gotten mine from Houston Hardwoods (n Houston, TX of course). They say they specialize in Marine grade lumber. They had stacks and stacks of the stuff when I was there. Not sure if they carry 1/4" but the do carry 3/8" (my boat uses this thickness). I will be placing an order for 11 sheets in September. Not sure what the shipping will be yet.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

galamb

Postby galamb » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:02 am

I will put it to you another way, since you do have an option but are reluctant due to cost.

A sheet of 1/4" okoume weighs about 22 lbs.

A sheet of 1/2" D-Fir(Marine) weighs about 50 lbs.

You need about 4 sheets for your model. So that's either 88 lbs or 200 lbs of wood in the hull.

An extra 112 lbs of hull, that is always there and has to be pushed by the motor "every time" you are on the water, whether by yourself or with one or two others in the boat will end up burning more gas, just to push that extra weight, than if you went with the okoume, had it covered in gold leaf and had it Fedex'd to you by sending in the opposite direction around the world twice before you received it.

I would suggest that if you can't afford the cost of the okoume plywood (4 sheets), you will not be able to afford to run the boat once it's completed. I do get it, the cost of materials sometimes looks "huge", but the "ongoing" cost of ownership makes the build costs look like coffee change in the longer run.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

DavidE

Postby DavidE » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:13 am

I bought all the plywood for my Vera Cruise in one order from World Panel. Its was mix of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" Okoume and Sapelle. Some panels were 4'x8' and some were 5'x10'. The shipping was free because the order was so large.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:03 pm

World Panel is very helpful at getting reasonable shipping rates and their prices are so good the shipping kinda disappears with larger orders.

Roberta :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

skifffl

Postby skifffl » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks everyone...heading to this World Panel right after I hit Submit on this post :D :D :D :D :D

tcough

Postby tcough » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:28 pm

I know it's still a bit of a drive, but Dixie Ply and 84 Lumber in Orlando both have marine ply. You might check an 84 Lumber in your area or Tampa.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

1Capperr

Postby 1Capperr » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:58 pm

Menard's can order it usually.

Return to “Small outboards”