Flying Saucer question

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

miyot

Flying Saucer question

Postby miyot » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:12 am

Flying Saucer question. The plans say it is important that forward frame 5 1/2 not firmly contact the bottom planking. It goes on to say that this frame should be relieved in such a manner that the bottom planking will not quite touch this athwartship member. This makes no sense to me. Can you guys comment or tell me if you FS builders built your boats this way?

And can anyone tell me the purpose of of this? The plans give no explanation as to why the bottom planking should not contact the bottom of frame 5 1/2. And is it left this way even after the boat is assembled. My thought is the hull will be flexing here and dirt and such will build up under it and would be nothing but a problem.

Andy Garrett

Re: Flying Saucer question

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:13 am

I built the Zip, which shares the same frames. I found no such instructions.

The book details that we should not attach the hull ply to the frame members (only to the longitudinals), but I read nothing about a 'gap'.

That being said, I used thickened epoxy to marry all of my frames to the ply.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

John K

Postby John K » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:08 pm

I built the flying saucer and don't remember that being there. If it is, I guess I missed it and faired that frame just like the others. I remember that I did have to angle the front of the frame toward the bow quite a bit to make sure the plywood did not have a ledge that might break the plywood.

miyot

Postby miyot » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:06 pm

Thanks for the reply s. It is on page 5 of the booklet, Building the Flying Saucer. It mentions that fastenings are not used in any of the frames in the same paragraph. John, I think you are right about possible plank breakage if the frame is not beveled enough. Makes sense and I can think of no other reason.

I built the construction jig today and cut out frame 4 and cut out the panel for the transom as well as did the stem and the transom knee. I also have the Battens , sheer clamps, keel, and chine logs cut out. I had some Northern white cedar left over from my Haven 12 1/2 I built 3 yrs ago. I made some boards out of it to 3/8's thick. I intend to deck the boat with it. Its all taking more time because I have to do so much piecing together. Trying to build this boat without having to buy any lumber. Its fun but more work. Again thanks for the replys. My goal is to build the boat in 6-8 weeks. If it takes 3 months I'll be satisfied. I need a runabout for the winter months.
Dave

tcough

Postby tcough » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:47 am

I just recieved the plans for the Florida Flats and saw the same thing. But reading on, the instructions indicate that the gap is to avoid any unsightly curves in the plywood decking that could be caused by a frame that hasn't been faired well.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:53 am

tcough wrote:... the instructions indicate that the gap is to avoid any unsightly curves in the plywood decking that could be caused by a frame that hasn't been faired well.

Dave,

Precisely. A high spot on the frame will also create a hard point on the planking that can be a potential fail point. I've just found such a spot on my hull. Too late to do anything about it now, so I'll just have to deal with it and move on. In my case, I'm not terribly concerned about it... I don't foresee my boat having to withstand much hard usage, but it will still be something I'll need to remain aware of.

Here's a photo of what you'll want to avoid:
Attachments
IMG_9309.jpg
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Return to “Small outboards”