South Dakota Zip

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

JMB66

South Dakota Zip

Postby JMB66 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 pm

I'm incredibly inspired especially after reading through Travis's "zipology" build......simply amazing! I too plan on going with sheets of plywood instead of planking for the top of the boat (please excuse my lack of proper terminology) but I'm thinking of straight grained Red Grandis (eucalyptus)......any opinions out there?

Dang I can't wait to get started!

vupilot

Re: South Dakota Zip

Postby vupilot » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Welcome,

I cant answer your question about Red Grandis but just wanted to say welcome to the forum and good luck with your build! Keep us posted on your progress.

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:41 am

Hi. I just read a little about the wood you described and being a retired professional furniture builder that wood is very interesting to me. I will have to see if any is available in the Ohio area.
My only thoughts would be if you can get it in a marine grade or at least an exterior glue grade. Other wise you might have a problem with moisture.
But welcome enjoy this site the is a lot of great boat builders here to help.
Jeff

Flash

Postby Flash » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi Jm,

I use red grandis for longitudinals and I like working with it. However, it must be steamed for chines and sheer clamps. I have not heard of red grandis plywood. As the other gentleman suggested, as long as it's marine certified it would be good for your decking. Personally, I chose marante plywood which has more character than red grandis. It is also processed and certified marine plywood from England. I am also considering Sapele if I have the money. You can find examples in the Glen-L Gallery. It is the most beautiful decking plywood I have ever seen.
Good luck,
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

JMB66

Postby JMB66 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:47 am

Thanks everyone. We actually offer red grandis (eucalyptus)as a wood specie in our cabinet line so I know the plywood is available, I'm just not sure if it is available in a marine grade.

Flash: I see you live in Egan MN.....I have 5 brothers and sisters that all live there, I actually grew up in the Hastings area.

Thanks again. The Zip plans should be me in my office this AM

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:40 am

Welcome fellow Zip guy! You'll find plenty of Zip knowledge herein.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

JMB66

Postby JMB66 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:05 pm

As it turns out; I can't get red grandis in a marine grade (unless I want to pay an arm, a leg, and a small fortune) so I'm going with mahogany, which is obviously very beautiful. I may incorporate other solid woods throughout the interior like a burled walnut or quarter sawn cherry dash but I'm a long way from finalizing those details.

Flash

Postby Flash » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:01 am

Hi JM,

Your siblings could be neighbors. Do any of them live near Pilot Knob & Diffley?

You mentioned some fairly exotic wood. It sounds like you can get anything you want. If so, I would be interested in your source if possible please.

Thanks,
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

JMB66

Postby JMB66 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:42 am

Flash wrote:Hi JM,

Your siblings could be neighbors. Do any of them live near Pilot Knob & Diffley?

You mentioned some fairly exotic wood. It sounds like you can get anything you want. If so, I would be interested in your source if possible please.

Thanks,

I have a brother that lives on Knob Dr. right off of Diffley.

My company deals directly with hard wood suppliers and at times with the mills. If it can be used to make cabinets...we can get it!

Return to “Small outboards”