fairing problem need some advice

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

brad1516

fairing problem need some advice

Postby brad1516 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:12 am

so my stem is a 12 degree angle the whole way is it suppose to be the same angle the whole way because the plywood would never bend around it next when I use the rabl method or even sight it with a straight endge from the stem it is way below my chine log it is just the front section on the stem I am having problems with the rest of boat is already faired just the front does not match up and I am confused as to what to do any ideas or advice of where to look thanks

miyot

Re: fairing problem need some advice

Postby miyot » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:19 am

brad1516 wrote:so my stem is a 12 degree angle the whole way is it suppose to be the same angle the whole way because the plywood would never bend around it next when I use the rabl method or even sight it with a straight endge from the stem it is way below my chine log it is just the front section on the stem I am having problems with the rest of boat is already faired just the front does not match up and I am confused as to what to do any ideas or advice of where to look thanks

I don't know what kind of boat you are building. Usually the planking angle changes as you progress around the stem. You have few choices. Either add or rather glue some nicely fitted strips of wood to the stem bevel and then re-bevel it to the correct angle. It sounds like your chine was fastened either to far back or not far enough. Some pictures would be helpful.

If your chine was fasten to far back, you could glue a strip onto your chine as long and as thick as needed to fix the problem. Then re-fair the the chine and stem to match. If the angle of your planking is to shallow at the forward part of your stem, so the planks won't quite meet at the center of the stem, but leave a narrow strip of stem down the center and there is adequate bevel for secure plank fastening. You can just go ahead and fasten your planks. Then plane the forward portion of the planks flat to match the flat left on the stem. Then run a strip of wood down this flat, wide enough to cover the ends of both planks and the flat down the center of the stem and thick enough to be beveled to match the planking angle so it ends at a point at the center of the stem as it should. This, I think is called stem facing. It can be laminated to get the thickness you need and also must be fared to match the contour of your planking aft where the fit is proper.

Hope this doesn't confuse you to badly. Give us some pics. It can be fixed.

brad1516

Postby brad1516 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:04 pm

I am building a squirt no where in the plans did it say the set back of the chines. so the stem is angled to suit the chine log ? I do not think I understand the rabl method the way it is explained if someone could word it simpler be a big help does the stem angle change from tip to keel strip ? if so how do you determine how much?

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:12 pm

Possibly you figured it out by now. The bevel of the stem is the most severe/ harder at the
front. The bevel lessens/is softer towards the stern. Use your skin material. I`ll assume your using 1/4 inch ply. lay a strip, 3-4 inches wide, diagonally from chine to stem. Use your eyes and sight it.
bevel a little at a time until it fits. It`s fairly straightforward. Just take your time.

Your Chines should be set back about an inch from the front edge of the stem.

:)

Return to “Small outboards”