Need help jet squirt

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

bryan16

Need help jet squirt

Postby bryan16 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:45 pm

I am busy building the squirt and I am wanting to put a jet ski engine in it.

A friend of mine can get virtually any jet units

What kind of specs do I need?
(size, flow rate, engine size)
I would like it to go fast but not crazy fast.

galamb

Re: Need help jet squirt

Postby galamb » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:37 pm

You still need to define "fast".

I consider 35 mph on the water "fast", others think 50 is just putting along.

Most hard chine boats under 20' long become "unstable/difficult to control" at about 40 mph.

If some Squirt builders chime in here with their "number of horses and top speed" with prop driven models, add about 30% to your Jet's horsepower to get similar results (jets are far less efficient, but significantly safer in their typical application - jet ski's where you don't want the rider getting chewed up if they fall off, or in extremely shallow water where a prop contacting the bottom could cause severe engine damage).

Jet's are "cool", just not necessarily the best choice if speed is your goal and there is no particular reason not to use a standard outboard. They need more horses and burn more gas to get the same results.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

fourspeedfish

Postby fourspeedfish » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:32 am

I am building a squirt with a seadoo 96 spx which has the 718 / 720 motor (85 horse) and a top speed of about 50 mph. I am not finished yet so i cant tell you how fast but the old ski weighed about 450 lbs and i hope to be lees than that with the squirt. if i could get to about 40 mph i think that will be plenty fast for a boat only rated for a 10 horse outboard.

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:16 pm

DON'T LOOK BACK!!!.jpg
With a 550 Kawasaki, 38hp, I get a little over 30 mph with my squirt. If I do some fine tuning of the water intake I might get closer to 40. I seem to be picking up some air in the flow and not getting full thrust. I haven't done anything with it since I launched my Stiletto last year. The Stiletto runs out at 38 with 85HP Johnson and 17 inch pitch prop.

Return to “Small outboards”