Transom Damage

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

mdweber

Transom Damage

Postby mdweber » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:06 pm

Hey folks,

I had my motor on the transom for a week while I was working on steering and shifter installation. I removed it to find some damage on the transom. The groves of the motor bracket motor had dug into the transom. It didn't seem to pierce the epoxy and fiberglass, but it left a noticeable indentation. Is this a bad thing? Should I place a ss plate in between the transom and the bracket to prevent future damage?

Thanks,
Mike

cusoak

Re: Transom Damage

Postby cusoak » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:20 am

I put a piece of SS between my Merc outboard and the transom, so that there was a more support for the motor and the brackets were not digging it to the wood. So I think it is a good idea , I also drilled holes to through it so the I could bolt the motor on.
Jeff

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 am

I think your scenario is like a double edged sword, darned if you do and darned if you don't. First question, is was the epoxy fully cured, if not it's 'softness' may have been a factor.

Will it adversely affect the structural integrity of the transom? I can't imagine that happening.

I did not use a SS plate, my concern being that that is a good place for moisture and dirt to collect. Do I have some slight indentations where my engine clamps on, yes - it's a boat. Personally I don't see a thin plate of SS plate providing anything resembling extra 'strength' to the transom. Your call.

Do through bolt your engine, I have seen a video of a large outboard 'climbing' up and off the transom because only the screw clamps were used to attach it, with no through bolts.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

mdweber

Postby mdweber » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:18 am

Epoxy was applied over a month ago, so it should be fully cured. I was thinking about using sealant between the ss plate and the transom

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:52 am

Yes.... do that. some Silicon or whatever to make the seal

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:02 am

Call me a Negative Nellie if you will, but one thing I have learned with 25 plus years of boating is that water WILL eventually find it's way into everything. Ergo it's more important to leave a path for the water to migrate out than seal it from coming in. Just my two cents. Kinda of like the newer homes that are so 'tight' rot is a problem, whereas those old 'drafty' farmhouses always had a chance to dry out.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:41 am

The galvanic corrosion between the stainless steel plate and the aluminium of the motor will eat away the motor. You could put in a sacrificial scrap of ply or fiberglass it.

Cheers
Mojo

mdweber

Postby mdweber » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 am

Hm, thanks for pointing that out MoJo. What about using aluminum as the plate material?

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:32 pm

Screw down clamps have been marring transom "since Hector was a pup." In case you are too young to remember, Hector was Blondie and Dagwood's dog. instead of stainless steel you can use an aluminum plate.

Return to “Small outboards”