SS-rubrail over mahog strip

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

shandman

SS-rubrail over mahog strip

Postby shandman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:52 am

Closing in on completing my Bullet build. I plan to paint the hull and deck different colors. Because the shear on a Bullet is quite acute, I'm thinking about forming (grinding) a 1" wide flat along the length of the shear upon which I will fasten a thin 1" strip of mahog upon which I will fasten a 3/4" half round stainless rubrail. I'm thinking this will hide the dual color interface while adding an interesting look -and useful functionality- to the shear line. Has anyone done something like this and care to offer insight / suggestions?
Art Shand

vupilot

Re: SS-rubrail over mahog strip

Postby vupilot » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:21 pm

I think a trim piece that breaks up two colors always looks great. As an alternative to the expense of SS rubrail and the sometimes difficult task of getting it to follow the sheer line many of us have had pleasing results with inexpensive automotive trim moulding such as this. http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Flexible-I ... B000TVQC7U This kind of stuff goes on really easy with self adhesive and can be easily removed with heat gun if it ever needs to be. It wont last forever and if you look really close you can tell its not the real stuff but it still lasts many years and looks very good for the price.
I still have 150$ worth of the 1" SS rub rail in my attic that I never could get to conform to my Zip sheer line. If you go with the real SS error on the narrow side would be my suggestion so it forms easier. I think your idea is going to look great with the wood piece topped by a shiny piece of trim.

Be sure to bring that boat to a future Gathering!

jprice

Postby jprice » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:06 am

I'm curious to see how this turns out. Please post some pics when you start doing this.
I'm planning on doing the same on mine. ...at least in my head I think it will look good. ;)
Although my thought was to go wider on the mahogany strip. 1" strip with 3/4" SS, and you're hardly going to see any of the wood. Unless that's the look you're going for.

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:43 pm

One thing to keep in mind with a SS rub rail is you will have to do some cutting, welding, and polishing at the bow point. I don't weld, so I had it done for me and it cost about $100. I made a plywood template of the bow and gave it to the welder. You can't simply bend it around sharp corners. I used 3/4" hollow back and it did conform to the changes in angles along the hull side, but the bow is another issue.
Attachments
006.JPG

Cutwaterguy

Postby Cutwaterguy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:57 pm

shandman wrote:Closing in on completing my Bullet build. I plan to paint the hull and deck different colors. Because the shear on a Bullet is quite acute, I'm thinking about forming (grinding) a 1" wide flat along the length of the shear upon which I will fasten a thin 1" strip of mahog upon which I will fasten a 3/4" half round stainless rubrail. I'm thinking this will hide the dual color interface while adding an interesting look -and useful functionality- to the shear line. Has anyone done something like this and care to offer insight / suggestions?

This is how traditional boats had the sheer set up to receive s/s rubrail on the plumb about 3/4's way to the rear or where the tumblehome kicks in. Its something that the plans should indicate and u should "anticipate" its placement. I say this because the screw holes r 6" apart and u should have continuous backer behind the planking 4 the screws. Traditionally the rubrail covered the seam between the hull plank and the cover board. Most traditional builders did exactly what u mention about the applying a thin 1" strip just to build up the area 4 docking contact. It also serves the purpose of getting the rubrail out there to contact dock b4 the hullside does. If the rubrail is installed on the plumb ( parallel to the flat) i can't see why some r having trouble installing it. Good luck with ur decision.

Return to “Small outboards”